1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What To Commute On?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Pavey, May 2, 2017.

1. 796 HYPER MOTARD?? smooth and fun and wet clutch for traffic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. IMG_1314.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. @fight the streets fmd

I had a 1098 SF previously so am thinking that could be a contender, however will an 848 now need a but more upkeep than something newer? I suppose that depends on the mileage of said bike really.

4. So youve already got a ducati....why go for another engine thats the same?

Ive got 4 bikes and they are all chalk and cheese for exactly the reason above....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The way I look at it, 848 street fighter has less fancy electronics To go wrong then the latest stuff, so if you buy a clean, well maintained example then hopefully they will be just as reliable or even better, these days it's often over complicated electronics to blame for the trouble!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Can't believe nobody mentioned a used Scrambler Icon... cheap, relatively low key and comfy / nimble. If you want to keep it Ducati then it's an easy win. If you want an easy life then the CG125 / CBF125 options are absurdly cheap and economical.

Personally I'd want something practically disposable for commuting into London, something I wouldn't have to wash or especially maintain. When I lived there I settled on an old Vespa 150 Sprint Veloce, a '74. Was just almost insultingly cheap to run and never gave any bother, bar usual bulbs / tyres / fuel / servicing. It was like something out of a Kinder egg. Loved it to bits. Bizarrely because of the engine positioning I used to wear tyres out on one side as I'd lean on the opposite side. From memory the engine weight was on the right and so I used to wear the left side of the tyres. Don't think I ever even bothered taxing or insuring it either, in those pre-SORN pre-camera days. Ahhh, youth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 2010 to 2012. The S and the S Touring had the Ohlins electronic suspension which is still IMO, the best option. The later Sachs Skyhook suspension is good but having ridden the Multistrada twin spark, DVT and Enduro models back to back with mine, I do not think that it is as good as the Ohlins fitted with their aftermarket SCU. (There, I said it. Cue now for dislikes, disagrees and nukes :Bag: ). Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I'm out Sunday (weather permitting..............)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. I'm at the National Pet Show. :flushed:

10. (i told the wife we should go dogging and she booked that)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. I commute on my Hyper 796. Its very comfortable, and performance is fine. I have a 1 mile stretch of Mway and it hits 90 quite easily - although not good for going much faster. IT has folding mirrors so is convenient for filtering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I commute on my Hyper 796. Its very comfortable, and performance is fine. I have a 1 mile stretch of Mway and it hits 90 quite easily - although not good for going much faster. IT has folding mirrors so is convenient for filtering.

13. If I had to commute into that London again, which I never will as its just too much hassle when I can fall asleep on a train, then I'd opt for a 250 soft enduro style. Like a TS250. Dont try it on a KTM300EXC. Fucking thing nearly killed me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. At the moment your bike will get stolen in London unless you have secure carpark.

If you can park safely then sports bike only if you do not have to filter via narrow london roads so for example a40 all way in and park.

Other then that nakes while Hyper is great my preference still sits with monster 696/796 or 695.

695 in bad looks will not get stolen and is lighter then 696 and fantastic easy to flick about.

15. Why train when you can bike?

You have to get to station they do not pick you up, you have to walk from station on other end, you pay fortune, have no guarnateed seat or if train runs on time and 0 fun.

Never get that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I live 2mins from station Luca. Tis easy. I can be on a train quicker than I can get my gear on and bike outta garage.

Fortunately I dont need to. I live and work locally and thus walk to work. But I do have to go into town sometimes for work. I always go by train nowadays. Its just easier and no way am I riding pani or 916 into town.

17. Lucky you but still the other end, price nad fun factor.

Until they make trains fun I am not onboard.

Mind you whenever I see train in London and I am on bike I do try and race it so good competition till next stop :p

18. I always used to Luca. When I worked up there but every single prang I had was commuting. Im a terrible commuter. Plus effin scoots everywhere these days, no parking places etc etc.

19. Surprised the Supersport has not got a mention on here ! I commute 17/17 miles a day, She's feel's infinitely lighter than my 821 which I use now and then, and is far more comfortable. Will lack the punch that you are used to on the 1198. It's not too loud unless you want to stick on an akra to beef it up a little. Quickshifter is a dream in and out of town. The only downside (for now) the mirrors are useless... !

For me it's the perfect commuter, If you have not ridden one then I would highly recommend taking one for a test ride.

20. Don't go for the multi. I do the London commute, nearer 50 miles each way with lots of filtering. With the explosion in 4x4 drivers, the wing mirrors sit higher and the multi was a nightmare when I had mine. I'm on a 990 SMT now and although only marginal, I notice the difference.

I'd be aiming for a bike based on handlebar height off the deck. A motard would be absolutely perfect as the handlebars are much lower than the multi. Wider bars than sports bikes just makes slow speed manoeuvres very easy. Also high on the list of requirements would be a working back brake (which probably rules out all Ducati bikes :joy:). Slow speed filtering is a doddle with a quality back brake. I use mine more than my front.

I'd end up buying a nice (probably KTM 450 SMR or 690 SMC) 450 supermoto. What a laugh that commute would be. I enjoy it now on a 990 SMT but the smaller one would be unbelievable fun.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information