1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What To Commute On?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Pavey, May 2, 2017.

1. It's wider than that but....it either depends on your lane filtering skill and how close the lanes are and how dense the traffic is....and the chances your willing to take....ive been in traffic so heavy I've not been able to get through on my rsv.

2. Thanks mate, might go to Aylesbury at the weekend to look at one.

Have fun today!

3. I've heard the bars are above average cars mirrors where as normal/sports bikes are about the same level. Not ok for quick filtering but useful getting to the front at lights.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. That's the important bit really, thanks for the tip. Now which model to look at!

5. 796 brilliant bike.

6. Was thinking of going new so i have reliability, don't believe they make that one anymore do they? Believe it's only the 821 or 1200 now.

(oh, Hyper 796 you mean?)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeah hyper 796 probably more reliable than the newer ones.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. I think its a balance of fun vs practicality. I myself have 4 bikes and some would say theyre not really built for commuting. But then, why would i want to commute on an old shitter? Now, saying that if i had no choice but to use something come rain or shine then, yeah - an old nail would do but im lucky, if its wet ive got a little toyota iq which is cheap as chips to run.

There was someone on here selling a 796 dead cheap (just needed a service i think)

9. In the nicest way i do disagree - i use my 1100 evo sp for work and during the summer months its the best bike for the job. First and foremost id agree with your prognosis (pre ecu flash) but if the bike is mapped correctly you can crawl through traffic at 5-10 mph. And ( i know this is more with the 1100 ) absolutely no matter how hot it gets (the weather) and no matter what traffic your in, mine never, ever goes above 3 bars on the temp.....RSV4 turns in to a BBQ and the zed while ok does run hot. The hyper stays cool no matter what....id almost say for the small but extra layout an 1100 would be the better option as theres tons more aftermarket stuff for them....

10. Are they reliable? Daft question i suppose, i guess i need to find one with one lady owner. What sort of money for an 1100 on the latest year, which was ?

11. North of £4k

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Gpz500 - I do a few miles of 40 limit (ahem), 2 junctions of M25 (which is actually pretty free to the extent it's my conscience that limits my speed usually) then a few miles of 40 limit (too much traffic to ahem). I'm filtering for about 60% of the non-motorway journey.

It's been at the back of the shed since I bought the other bikes, but I've been loving it on the commute - such a willing little engine.

FWIW, I would never filter without mirrors, so I'd pick a bike with high mirrors. Riding position is a question of horses for courses - tucked for better motorway/fast stuff, upright is better for town.

I did once commute from Guildford to Surbiton on a dodgy XT600 - that was interesting, especially when I got in a freight train of bikes doing 50ish between the outer two lanes... wakes you up faster than espresso...

13. I removed the mirrors from my 1198 as they were great at looking at the inside of my elbows and not much else, fitted a rear view camera and have never looked back! See what i did there? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. And the
    That was you! I was just thinking about that brushing my teeth this morning!

15. Did you see me out and about (and i swerved into you!) or did you just forget it was me who did that conversion?

16. Id say go older ( unless money is not an issue ) theres a lovely 1100 evo sp at raceways in Troy Corser colours. Ironically my last 1100 evo came from there.....

Reliable: Had mine for 18 months now and no issues, but then i like to maintain my bikes (half the fun of ownership IMO) so id never let anything slide on any of them...

17. Remembering the thread

18. older 1100 has dry clutch remember could get snatchy in traffic.

19. I been commuting on hyper 821 for 2 years in central London till it got stolen 2 times in 2 weeks now on Mp3 lol.

It is perfect for commute as has big bar movement for those tight spots, yes bars are wide but same as old monsters. They sit high enough to go over most car mirrors but are bang on where van/suv mirrors are.

796 and 1100 hyper have I believe same height and bar width but they had those foldable mirrors which add width. If you remove them and fit stock or none you will be ok.

FYI you will have to learn to lean in to slow corners as that is the fastest way it will grip. Now it has a special benefit over most other bikes in London.

When they say watch out for speed bump you say what speed bump and go over it. One of two things will happen.

1. Small snatch on bars
    2. You go airborne if you open the throttle just after that snatch :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. 796 seat is lower than 1100.:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information