1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 What To Look For Buying 848?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Richard Griffin, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Morning All - A good friend is looking at an 848 tomorrow, private sale, is there anything specific to look for? Ask?

Any advice Appreciated?

2. What version?

In general, pretty solid it seems, but early ones had issues with radiators leaking (so check coolant levels) and check mileage as many 848/1098 in the earlier years had dash board replacements for misting etc. Otherwise tbh it's all the standard checks like checking the rear wheel hub hasn't been over torqued (which you often can't do on an inspection but worth asking the owner if he knows what it should be done up to).

Cambelts are every 2 years, in honestly some owners choose to stretch this out a touch at their own risk.

Look for additional mods that make the bike much easier to live with, so a decent upgraded clutch slave cylinder, rear suspension upgrades such as an adjustable tie bar as the stock one isn't. Finally look for swollen fuel tanks, rare but worth looking for.

3. It’s an 848evo dark.

Thanks

4. Leaky radiator - often because of large rad covers fitted especially if used on track
    Ex-trioptions bikes - just need to know refresh history
    Gearboxes not keen on QS in my experience

5. In my experience the radiator doesn’t always leak, make sure you remove the left hand side fairing panel and and check for play in the radiator, I was too busy looking for leaks when I brought mine and it wasn’t until I got it home and stripped it down I found the top left hand bracket broken. Headlights and clocks can mist up too but that’s commonplace with all 848 / 1098 / 1198 models.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. make sure you get second key and or at least key card although not sure if it came with just later bikes. in any event, if it should have a key card and doesnt you wont be able to get a spare key without the card

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yes the rad is by the upper bracket normally (can’t remember which side)

Other things I had on both 848 I had was leaking expansion chamber.

Another thing is tanks can expand, so if a steering damper is fitted (think it’s aftermarket as bracket not there on dark) check it clears on both full lock

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information