1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 What To Look For

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Sep 4, 2018.

1. A nice bike is up for sale ,

24,700 miles
    998s

Sand cast deep sump engine. Dripping in Carbon Fibre • Air tubes • Air Box • Heel Guards • Radiator V Piece • Rear Hugger • Sump Fairing • Swinging Arm and chain cover • Clutch cover Full 50mm Exhaust System with Titanium Termignoni’s Corbin Leather Seat Double Bubble Screen Full Olin’s Suspension Front and Rear. New Rear Tyre. Ducati Rear Paddock Stand.

Owner:
    3 owners from new. I've had it for the last 6 years. Genuine monoposto.

Other than the usual service history and proof of when the Belts where done

• Are these bikes prone to Crank oil gallery plug backing out?
    • Rockers Flaking?
    • What is a guideline price for these?
    • Obviously it is not a Genuine monoposto as the owner seems to think ,Anything odd stand out?
    • Is it a big jump from the 748s , I miss the torque in the 748 compared to my M900 Monster
    • Most components from my 748s will swap over , clutch , sprocket, clutch master cylinder?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. as long as your intention isnt to revert it back to standard then given the mileage it would be worth 5k gbp to me - maybe a bit more if the original bits are included

withought knowing the engine and frame nos its hard to say if its a genuine S given how many non standard bits are on it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Its up for 9K euro , about 8.1K gbp

4. The s had a deep sump motor the std 998 didnt

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. He claims its a Bayliss , should it not have Bayliss livery ?
    Pressure plate bearing is all rusted

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 20.23.34.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Looks a bit of a bitza to me.

7. theres better bikes on ebay in uk and ireland

8. How did you arrive at such a figure? I haven't seen a 998 for less than 7/8k since about 2015!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. im not convinced its what it appears to be hence the negative risk premium!

10. If it’s a 998S but given the mileage, I’d say about £8.5 / £9k. These don’t suffer the problems of the older models. Get it checked out / serviced and you won’t regret it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Beautiful bike on ebay but it's only a 998, 9.5k gbp

In terms of mileage, what would you expect out of them? 50k?
    Screenshot_20180905-081846.png

12. thats the one near me in cheltenham.

13. What are the common issues with the 998s?

• Are these bikes prone to Crank oil gallery plug backing out?
    • Rockers Flaking?

14. no and no. historic problems with other earlier styles of engines..

15. it appears you are italian and in italy...why not ring the factory and check the frame and engine numbers.

if you are in the uk and know the registration you could check some history like insurance mot and tax easily enough to form a picture if it genuine or not. can you do that in italy or where ever it is.

i dont believe they made many genuine S monopostos anyway... there were only something like 28 came to the uk so dont know how many elsewhere.

16. the std uk s had showa front suspension baylis one had öhlins, but they dont look like std ducati öhlins tops..and they appear quite tall.

17. Have you made that assumption from the flag on on his avatar? In which case I'd brush up on your knowledge of flags. That's the Irish flag.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. That would be the Republic of Ireland flag

19. Thanks for all the info

Since you mentioned the Bayliss bike , I presume all Bayliss have the livery on the farings ? any numbered plaques?

If it is a Bayliss , why where the farings changed is my first Question

I requested if I can get the engine and Frame number :p Think we can email Ducati , some nice lady I read somewhere

My grandfather is Italian , hence the name ; I am in Ireland! Easy mistake with the small flag

#19 CarloL, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  20. Engine

Am I right in saying , the 998s is the 996r engine with a deep sump sand cast crankcases (made in super tough Galsi 7 alloy)?

It featured aggressive camshafts, titanium conrods

Designed by ex-Ferrari Formula 1 engineer, Angiolino Marchetti, this new motor was based on the existing Desmoquattro but featured a revised cylinder head with the pairs of valves set at a much reduced included angle to achieve a more efficient combustion space, hence the name testastretta, meaning 'narrow head'. As well as the new heads, the testastretta featured a shorter stroke/larger bore permitting higher revs, higher-lift camshafts, sand-cast crankcases, a deeper sump and a new Marelli engine management system. The 998cc testastretta engine made its debut in a mildly upgraded version of the existing 996SPS chassis as the limited edition 996R

Do Not Sell My Personal Information