1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Wheels For My 748?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by chizel, Jan 18, 2020.

1. no.. apart from the wheels, new faces on the gauges and new front discs and the paint touching uo and new bar end mirrors the 748 is done.. apart from maybe some ceramic coating on the zorsts...

2. Gun metal grey too!! :yum

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. @chizel

My S4 started with its own wheels and a mechanical pick up.

Then when I changed to an S4R single sided swingarm it also got a secondhand set of wheels but I don’t know where they were from. No mods were necessary and it was still running the mechanical pick up.

Then came Bettes’ BST carbon wheels (from a 748?), but by that time I’d removed the speedo. I got a motogadget digital dash but I had it fitted by someone else. I believe the pick up is now a magnet on the back wheel. I’ll have a look next time I can look at the bike later on tonight.

The carbon wheels fitted without the need for spacers but the rear caliper needed a skim as it was fouling the spokes.

I don’t know whether that is any help

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. If i'm ever in Greenford & i see a man under a upturned bathtub with his wrench out,don't stop for anything.;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Once you go black, you will never go back!

Road1.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I'm really liking the mag 5 spokes at the mo.

• Like Like x 1
  7. They are classics.
    You never get tired off these.
    I have the alu 5 spokes in my 916 but i painted them gold like the mag marchesini wheels.

Henk!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Some more angles for you sir.

CB757FE1-E13D-4D2C-80E8-F783D2E4BD91.jpeg

DF34A626-8ABC-4DFA-947B-204A662CD663.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Thing is do I sell my dymags for set?? :thinkingface:

10. I told by an experienced mechanic at a very well respected indy that anything from early 916 up to and including the 848 (but not the 999 series) will fit my S4R. So, as Bettes’ 748 wheels slotted straight in, I imagine they’d fit a 748 also.

I mentioned in my other post that the rear face of the rear caliper needed a skim but bear in my S4 special is a bit of a bitsa and is running an S2R swingarm, an S4R caliper and an aftermarket carbon 748 wheel.

11. I might have a front 5 spoke but in red. I have loads of leftovers from my S4 project in Ray Petty’s workshop but need to find time to spend a day there tracking everything down and bringing it home. If you can wait a few weeks, I’ll be doing that at some point soon and if I find it you can have it for cheap if you can collect either from Hertfordshire (home) or Greenwich (Ray).

I was also skeptical tbh and bought Bettes’ BST’s purely for the bling, but they’ve transformed the bike. It now turns in like it’s being steered telepathically and the ride also feels better.

I’ve had a few 748s and a 996 and found them to be very slow steering, so much so that I used to put the head angle in track mode even for road use, so carbon wheels would probably be quite a good mod.

#113 Zhed46, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tbh its only the front thats a concern, as like Android said, any small hub sssa rear will fit, but for the front, as andy b pointed out there is the disc holes (5 v 6 ) to consider and obviously the speedo drive.. i dont want to go the way of digital dash and changing rotors for the sake of new wheels.. ive done the hard yards on this bike and am really happy, i just want some nicer wheels now!! im in no rush and not rich... but being winter, it would cheer me up to get some new bling!!! thanks for the advice though dude...

• Like Like x 1
  13. lol.. i was actually about to send bettes an offer on his wheels when i saw that yoiu had bought them...
    you must ride a bit more full on than me as i dont find the 748 too lazy at steering at all.. but then my bench mark is the 900ss !!! lol.. i just slide up the tank moto x styles and use fuck loads of counter steer...

• Like Like x 2
  14. I had been looking for a set for getting on for 5 years, so when I got an @ from someone who knew I was in the market, I pounced immediately as secondhand ones are as rare as rocking horse sh*t.

Re: slow steering - I think it’s probably more of a feel thing than anything as I’m no road (or track for that matter) riding god. It was just that with the head angle in “road” position, it felt like I had to fight the bike into corners, pretty much as you described by shoving the bars and climbing all over the front of it like Colin Edwards.

#116 Zhed46, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  15. my 748 has the adjustable steering head angle but ive never thought of using it.. im comfortable where its at.. perhaps i should.. i have the olhlins adjustable damper on it so i could crank it up al lil if it feels too twitchy... i dont know... i dont like tank slappers (or any slappers for that matter!)but having done 2 track days now (or at least part of em) on jap bikes that are so light and twitchy,i might find it a good thing...

16. It never felt flighty for me but then I tend to prefer bikes and cars which feel a little twitchy over ones which feel like they want to run straight on at every corner. The only downside I did find was that you lose a lot of steering lock, so u turns are a no no and 3 point turns become 7 point turns.

17. Maybe you two could check in to a premier inn together and rub bath oil over each other whilst discussing wheels ?

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Yeah. Nothing at all suspect about chatting to other men on the internet at 1030pm.....:yum

• Love You Love You x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information