1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Whiskey Are You Drinking?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by West Cork Paul, Nov 14, 2018.

1. It's tasty stuff and TBH given the price of it per bottle, you're not doing badly at £8.50 for a double. Just don't drown it... :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll have to try some of that - and I can order online from them too :upyeah:

3. 348507DD-EC1C-48DE-8C5C-4BF5FC757E09.jpeg Thanks to this thread I’ve just discovered Aberlour. It’s exquisite, my new favourite whisky. Picked up a bottle in Morrisons supermarket with £8 off rrp recently.
    Goes down beautifully in my current warm location in India.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I didn't know Morrison's were in India ;)

5. A little American whiskey tonight :D

[​IMG]

6. Travelling through Dubai this eek and going to pick up a bottle of whisky in duty free. Any recommendations on a sherry cask for around the 100 quid mark?

7. Aberlour - for those in the know ;) I'm not sure how long my 2 cases of 'millennium brew' will last but anything 10 years plus is certain to please :upyeah:

8. I like the “ice cube”.

9. Interesting ice cube in the glass. One has to admire the preparation & planning that went into it :upyeah:

10. Just checked online at https://online.dubaidutyfree.com/ddf/category/liquor-whisky/_/N-7x7 and whilst they don’t advertise all their stock there and also much of what appears in duty free around the world is specially made for duty free outlets and not available elsewhere, they do have a Macallan Lumina at $100 which is 100% sherry cask maturation. Macallen is a great whisky IMO.

I was drawn to the Glenlivet 35 made especially for Dubai duty free but then saw it was €10,000 :scream:.

However, if it were me I’d go for 16 yr old Lagavulin at €91, one of my all time favourites, but it’s from Islay so very strong on the peat which I know is not to everyone’s taste.

As @Harry Bell says above, anything over 10 yrs and you’ll not be disappointed and they should all indicate on the bottle/box what casks were used in the maturation process.

Also, they have some bargains in the blended whisky/whiskey area at $20/bottle. Perfect for those who mix their whiskey with anything other than ice or water. As we all know one never mixes a good, aged, malt with anything but ice or water :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Cheers. I have a look at that MacAllan Lumina

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cracked this open last night :upyeah:

Photo from bigralphie67.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Its got to be Edradour for me. Scotland`s smallest handmade distillery. Pure perfection. They also supply some nectar for the `House of Lords` blend which appears to do the trick with the afternoon back bencher`s !
    Its also local to myself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. This:
    20190305_230559.jpg

Magic!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Very nice, and congrats on the contract :upyeah:

BTW, what’s Vietnamese whisky like?

#195 West Cork Paul, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  16. The Vietnamese don't produce any whisky. Some cheap vodka and a number of drinks based on rice, some of which are drinkable :)

17. Ah, I wonder what it was I drank then when on a holiday there a few years back? Perhaps I don’t want to know :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. To be fair some of the rice based drinks are not bad. The problem is that much of it is privately made so hygiene and quality control can be iffy. If you get it from a reputable source it's ok, if not it can be a game of Russian (Vietnamese?) roulette ranging from a seriously bad hangover to not waking up at all :D Alcohol content is generally low, high teens to low twenties. There is some stronger stuff distilled for the lunar New Year again mostly not commercial, same game, some good some not so good.

After 17 years here I'll stick to my whiskey :D

• Like Like x 2
  19. Words of experience. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  20. New shelves to hide where the boiler used to be IMG_20190406_171835.jpg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information