1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Whiskey Are You Drinking?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by West Cork Paul, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Looking good :upyeah:

2. Amazon have a deal on Aberlour 12year old @ £28-70cl bottle if you have prime- that's 17% reduction on normal rrp.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Cheers for the tip, I’m on my way there now :). I didn’t even know they sold booze:confused:

4. Cardhu Gold Reserve ... one of my favs , couldn’t resist at 14£ off at the local Tesco Express
    Picked up a bottle of Hibiki at the airport this week too

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mmmmm mmmmm. Beats my 12 yr old Doublewood. IMG_0465.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Last night... 20190415_211012.jpg 20190415_211025.jpg

Glenmorangie Signet and the 18 year old Extremely Rare

Very nice...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Very pleased to have found this thread :). I love the island malts and don't think anyone has tagged my latest favorite, Ledaig. Its from the Tobermory distillery and takes it up a notch on the peat. It was recommeded to me by one f the guys at Simpsons Malt, who supply 80%+ of the maltings to the whiskey distilleries. Hard to find but Amazon can get it for you. If you like a VERY peaty malt, try the Ardbeg. Its amazing (in small doses).
    An interesting experiment you may find fun is to blind taste an Irish, Scottish and bourbon back to back. Blends will do. You should easily be able to spot the difference as the USA stuff is once distilled, Scottish twice and Irish three times. This is why cheap Irish is nice and smooooth.
    My favorite Speyside style would have to be any of the Macallan's, very drinkable.

CHEERS!! Richard

IMG_1706.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  8. I'm guessing the wallet on the table was considerably fatter BEFORE those whiskies were purchased! But, IMO, worth every penny. I'm well jealous:yum

9. @Expat Jack Nice selection, I'd not heard of the Ledaig, I'll have to look out for that one. If you like peat you should try Lagavulin, AFAIK it only comes in a 16yr version, it's seriously good IMO. If you like the smoothness of Irish but still want some peat look out for Connemara Whiskey; no where near as peaty as an Islay but still more than enough to know about it and with that Irish triple distilled smoothness. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  10. I havent had a Lagavulin for a long time. Tobormorry well worth hunting down:
    http://tobermorydistillery.com/

Most expensive one I have ever had was a single measure of Black Bowmore in the Old Course Hotel in St. Andrews. Allegedly there were only 2 bottles left in the world and it cost something like £120 a shot. I put it on expenses. o_O
    I was in Japan last November and managed to try a few of their whiskeys. All very good, Speyside style though.

• Like Like x 2
  11. That'd be SWMBO, totally unaware of what that looked like with one hidden behind the other :joy:

I buy opportunistically when traveling so yes while costly, there's always a bit of a pause between purchases and travel allowances are useful things on longer trips :innocent:

Both the Signet and the 18 yr old well worth the money

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bushmills 10 year.
    A present from our visiting guests.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Too many to choose from! As we travel around the NC500:) recently stayed at Shieldaig lodge nestled on the banks of Loch Gairloch.....that had over 200, my current favourite is a Balvenie doublewood which is gloriously rich and smooth. Much to my missus amusement, I Did invest in a £100 shot of a Scottish at the waterside a few years ago, it was lovely but can’t for the life of me remember it’s name, seem to recall it was a blended. Was offered an IPA cask finished glenffidich which you drink over ice with an orange slice? I politely declined :)

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  14. You'll need to do the Speyside route next year :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Scenery no quite as stunning as NC500 (but close in some places) but the roads are not chokka with camper vans - which is good if you have a few tasters :astonished:
    upload_2019-4-26_11-4-46.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. At least some good came out of the in-laws:)

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  17. They’re still here!
    :)

18. Is the whiskey still there?

19. Well if you wouldn’t f#ck f#ck f#ck f#######cking believe it, first rain of the trip today and got a f#cking rear puncture, tyre had 2600 miles on it at the start of the trip, I’d noticed over tha last day it squaring off heavily, we’re now at 3600miles. Got puncture about 4 miles beyond the green welly stop, a few Irish guys stopped in the pouring rain and Steve and Adam stayed on and assisted with the repair, including giving me a canister of foam which pinpointed the leak and use of a compressor which got the tyre up enough to ride back to the garage ( the guys are part of a 150 strong contingent of bikers from Northern Ireland who come over every April) a massive thank you to you guys for you support! Bikers are a great band of genuine people:) does anyone know of a tyre fitting place near Loch Lomond? As I’ll need a new tyre tomorrow, thanks Nige

Do Not Sell My Personal Information