1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Whiskey Are You Drinking?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by West Cork Paul, Nov 14, 2018.

1. i think i'm right in saying thats where the saying "rotgut" came from, 18th century whiskey production.
    the practice was effectively banned, with a lil (a lot) of help from the uk gov at the time by only issuing licenses to the family sween? to produce whisky, where planning laws where set up in such a way that only they had access to water supplies? cant mind exactly but i'm not far off here, the whisky they produced for the home market was so poor in quality it was making people ill, hence the term "rotgut". i believe it was the uk monarchy of the day that saved the industry, while whisky production was banned, illegal stills where popping up all over, king whoever was v,partial to one of them, cant mind which, and was busted with a stash of it, which led to the reintroduction of licenses being sold to smaller distillers. hmm.
    Brian Cox made a superb series titled The origins of whisky, addicted to pleasure. worth a watch if yer interested.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Actually, Iain Bank's Raw Spirit was a good read, entertaining and informative.

Beyond that, I don't like to get too obsessive about alcohol. Seems unhealthy to become too involved.

3. a home, multi billion pound industry loz.

4. What, producing it?

Or drinking it?

5. producing

6. marketing

7. selling it abroad

8. "Home"? I thought it was in a foreign country, finderman. Which is it?

And stop derailing a thread people are trying to enjoy the pissheads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I'm also in the Scottish Whisky Society and get some cracking single cask malts. Trouble is if you really like it and didn't get a couple of bottles, then you have had it as you can never get the exact same taste again.
    That's the reason i tell the wife we have so many bottles.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Copper Dog

FFS - what a name for a reasonable quality whisky (but at least it isn't Plod's Cat).

11. A friend of mine has bought I think it’s J&b smells quite nice not my tipple though

• Love You Love You x 2
  12. Balvenie. Triple Cask, 16 years... Tops!

Not to be consumed when already pissed. It's a waste(r). Like me...

13. Lagavulin, Mmmm, my favorite peaty Islay single malt tipple.

14. Currently ...trying green spot Irish for a change...nice.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Balvenie signature & Cardu gold reserve.
    And got a bottle of Tamanvula
    For when friends visit and I don’t feel like sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jamerso

17. One to many? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. 8DC9BC34-E3DC-40D4-9831-C7CC119A7487.jpeg
    For either savouring or getting ratted on this one. A good all rounder.

• Like Like x 2
  19. 2E3A7EDF-51E6-4AC1-97C2-44DBEE635618.jpeg
    Or for something more gin based, you could do a lot worse than getting your laughing tackle around this little beauty !

#39 Carr01, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  20. oNe to few surely

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information