1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Whiskey Are You Drinking?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by West Cork Paul, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Dalwhinnie and Tullimore dew......but not on the same night!

2. Tullamore Dew is nice, it's true.

3. Blood orange southern comfort

Pahaha

4. Got told years ago - go on the blended Shite after three glasses as you can’t appreciate after three - but rum drinker so just throwing that one in for good measure as it were

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I've just finished a bottle from my avatar, which is my most favoured malt. I have a Shackleton (blend - highly recommended) on the go, plus a Glen Garioch, Glenlivet 12, and a Jura.

After HP, favourites are Bunnahbhain & Arran. I was once fortunate enough to get a 50ml serving of Port Ellen at a French hotel for €13 and this is the best whisky I have ever tasted.

Thumbs up for the previously mentioned Connemara, which holds its own against the Scottish. After Shackleton, if you want a blend, Cutty Sark is possibly my favourite now BNJ is no longer made, but Skye blend is good, if only found in Scotland.

6. Monkey Shoulder. Spot on.

7. Or even yellow spot!

The problem for me with Irish whiskey is I'm hard pushed to tell the difference between them all and I reckon in a blind tasting I really wouldn't be able to. With Scottish whisky there's a distinct difference between the regions and between brands from the same region. All IMO of course.

8. Both very nice ones

9. Whiskey is Irish and whisky is anything but Irish.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. I agree with @Loz here. Try an Irish whiskey, Jameson's for example as that will be the easiest to get hold of. Mix a little water with it, dare I say even as much as 50/50 to start with :scream:. Irish is always triple distilled so is smoother than Scottish or others. The water dilutes the alcohol content taking the edge or 'fire' off it. Sip it and savour it. Savour the tingling sensation around your gums from the alcohol and the warming feeling inside as it goes down. It shouldn't be like fire and it shouldn't burn. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Glenmorangie with lots of ice. Leave it for five minutes so ice can melt a little..slightly diluted..lovely. keep adding more of each for the best experience. Defo stop before 1/2 bottle gone!!

Thats why I rarely drink it now. Its too good

• Like Like x 1
  12. yellowspot.JPG

@Carr01 saw this on the shelf today when I was out so I had to give it a go.

Tasting notes : Nice :upyeah:(I have a way with adjectives, so my wife tells me)

Actually very smooth and mellow and I got a hint of honey every time I sipped it.

To quote from Jameson's own web site:
    "The Yellow Spot, name was derived from the Mitchell's practice of marking their maturing casks of whiskey with a mark or daub of coloured paint to determine the age potential of the whiskey. Blue Spot was a 8 year old, Green Spot a 10yr and Yellow Spot a 12year old, Red Spot a 15."

However, it did set me back €6.70 in the pub for a measure (although Irish measures are bigger than UK measures 33cl v 25cl :)) and it's €80 RRP for a bottle in the offy. Would I pay €80 a bottle? No, for that price there are a lot of Scottish malt whiskys with considerably more character at less than that price. But that's just my personal taste and opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1

13. In my cupboard......
    F6CA5DF5-E683-4748-A54A-D6E006830DF9.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Someone say whisky?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently working on a Gordon & MacPhail bottling of 1990 Old Pulteney (cask strength - 2nd on the bottom row in the first pic).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Currently working a bottle of Cockburns.

It's a sort of Portuguese whiskey.

16. Woahh, I missed that post. Yep, Connemara is probably the best of the Irish if you like peaty flavours:upyeah: and I do like that one and its' very reasonably priced (comparatively), but I'd still rather the extreme peat of Islay. Horses for courses etc etc

17. :astonished: Wow! If that's your collection, impressive, fair play to that man. Well done sir. I'm jealous, plus mine never hang around long enough as I have some greedy whiskey loving friends :(. However get those ceeegars in the humidor, unless the whole Man Cave is climate controlled. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  18. And I though that was something one got from a dodgy one night stand ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I agree. No point wasting it when pissed. Trouble is it slips down even easier then.:p

20. Now that is a top class Islay malt probably preferable to Laphroaig.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information