1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Would Be Your Perfect Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by J biker, Oct 1, 2021.

1. I will look at it, if it comes with 17" front. BUT I suspect the price will be too high and the V4 is huge..

2. I ride a Multi 1200 and a Street Triple R 675
    My ideal bike would be a combination of both. The Streets weight and nimbleness with the Multistrada’s riding position, rider aids and touring capacity. The Triumphs too uncomfortable to tour on and the Multistrada weighs a fecking ton.

3. Exactly. My combo is GS and Monster R.

Where are the middle ground bikes? I prefer twins also. V4 is extra weight, plumbing and cost.
    The GS, mine is the 1200, now a 1250, but they gained even more weight. I dont know how people cope with the Adventure version especially when they fill that 30l tank!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. What about the new Triumph 660 Tiger? Would that be a sweet spot?

For me, I want cornering abs, cruise, a quick shifter, heated grips and some sort of wind protection would be wonderful.

A modern day Fazer 600 (80s looking version) would be great, just with a more interesting motor and the tech. Although, I'm not interested in a 10" TFT with integrated this and that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. My GS has the analogue display with a small lcd display. Difficult to read.
    The Monster is very clear.
    The new TFTs, I like them.
    The Suzuki s1000GT looks a really good example.

Engine size? At least 900cc and 120bhp

6. Aprillia Tuono 660, not sure if it has cruise control.

7. Not wishing to be controversial,and at the risk of repeating what has been suggested a number of times on this Forum, and other places, in my opinion Ducati should seriously consider reintroducing a genuine sports tourer that is not adventure style, and will permit two-up touring with luggage or fast road riding for a solo rider as appropriate. Other manufacturers have models that are not styled around an adventure bike and do well, but they do not have the Ducati design nor engine characteristics.

I know there is the Supersport, but while it might be fine for a shorter trip i don't believe it is suitable for long range trips fully loaded. However, it could be a starting point to develop a bike that would be a genuine fully functional sports tourer motorcycle, that is not adventure style.

In my opinion, Ducati would have an ideal place to start by using the discontinued ST4S styling, but bringing it up-to-date with modern electronics, equipment and engine, but still be recognisable as a fast motorcycle for touring on conventional roads.

Finally, I know the Multistrada is a good option for "many roads" with its clear adventure styling, and if that is what a rider wants that's fine, but it would be nice for those that prefer a more conventional style of bike to have a model of Ducati for serious sports touring that suits them as well. After all, it might win over riders from competitor's models and boost profits!

Enjoy your bike,

Tom.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. For me I love my Scrambler 1100 Sport. It’s my “go to” bike in the garage even though I love riding the V2 too.

When I put a Termi race system on it it pretty much changed the bike completely. I’ve toured on it, I’ve been on track with it, I’ve ridden through winters, I’ve pootled on it, I’ve ridden goat tracks on it etc etc. It pretty much does everything I want/need from a bike.

However if I could finesse it further it’d have at least 30 more horses so it was as fast in the straights as it is in corners, heated grips/hand guards for cold weather and a up and down QS.

That’s not asking too much is it?

• Like Like x 2
  9. I like the idea of a real Sport tourer, as long as it has flat bars and a relaxed riding position. No thanks to ANY kind of lean forward position. For me, this is why ADV style bikes have done so well. Once you are on board, the ergos are excellent.
    I remember looking at the Honda VFR800 years ago, sports tourer, but still far too much of a lean forward.

The latest S1000xr is very close. I just cant deal with the mega bland engine and vibes. A very nearly bike. also, the cost is creeping up.
    IF, their 900xr twin was taken up to 1000cc, and fitted with quality adjustable suspension, that would be closer to the ideal. But that would rob some sales..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I have an S1000XR TE, which should work well over long distances, but I'm not sure about the sports side of things. I've not done much on this bike for lockdown and other reasons, but BMW has introduced extra cushioning to damp out vibrations and it doesn't seem too bad so far.
    The engine is derived from the S1000RR bike adapted for the XR model, and I'm sure it will do more than I need, but it still needs to be revved to get it to perform.
    You're right about the cost, its not a low cost bike and many of the accessories you are likely to need are at extra cost. Also, the luggage system has been redesigned and the earlier panniers and box will not fit the new fixings. So, if you've traded-up from the previous model, you must buy the new luggage separately. If you're lucky you might find a dealer who will give discount, but they are not included in the basic price of new bikes.
    BMW also offer low and high suspension options for those that need them.
    So far it's a nice bike, but it doesn't sound or pull out of corners like a Ducati!
    Tom.

11. Ducati could if they will, do a very beautiful full faired sports tourer for two. They proved they can design beautiful bikes, there is examples in history, my ST3 is one of them.

I would like to have a modern ST3 with 1260 engine in red, full of character and sound. Heated grips and cruise control and good lights. No more gizmos electronic shit, just for the pure ride.

Those GS/Adventure/Multistrada bikes are ugly as hell, wrong direction!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I’ve been on many great bikes on shit roads and shit bikes on great roads and I’d take the latter all day long, unfortunately the state of the roads and the amount of traffic makes the latter sadly hard to come by……

13. Hold on to your ST3 I'm sorry I parted with mine.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Looking at Triumph at the moment, test rode the Thruxton 900 some time back so I’d imagine the 1200r to be bob on.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I think triumph have some real comte fears, and would be more if they had lower versions. Not everyone has 32” inside leg

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. As I’ve mentioned before, I want a Ducati V4 1100 sports tourer, ..think VFR800 like but with the Ducati V4 engine and sexy Italian styling :upyeah:

I’m currently using the updated Ninja 1000SX for touring duties and keeping the 899 for weekend thrashes.
    Over the last year, the Ninja has proved itself to be a blinding bike, I wasn’t expecting much of it when I bought it, but I have to admit to being really impressed with its range of abilities..
    It would be tremendous if Kawasaki would bump it up to 1200cc so that it made 165 bhp at the wheel without loosing any of it fantastic bottom end torque and flexibility.
    Also if it had a bit of a diet and lost 20 kgs that would make a world of difference.

For me, the one bike to do it all that I will probably go for next is the new V4 1100 Tuono factory , now that thing really sounds like a V4 !!…I rode a mates V4 Multistrada a couple of weeks ago and it sounded really unimpressive below about 8k revs, in fact nothing much happened below 8k, but after that all the power just seems to come in all at once,..not very progressive tbh.
    The Tuono is still stupid expensive at the moment, it’s coming down a bit and can be had for £16.5k in a few places, but I recon it’ll move a bit more over the winter, also the depreciation on Aprilia’s is crippling, I bought an RSV 1000 in 2002 and have never lost as much money on a bike in my life!!
    So something like that for me next I would expect.

17. I bought the perfect sports tourer exactly one year ago and it is not a Ducati. Considered a Multistrada, but they are only for taller people and after the Ducati experience with the GFs new monster that never had a rear brake, and my 939 Supersport that needed a dealer to reset the maintenance indicator, I went elsewhere. I did consider a Ducati V4 Multistrada just before they came out, but the height thing would still be there and they drink juice like nothing else.
    The BMW R1250GS was a consideration, but they are pig ugly, tall and heavy. I chose the R1250RS, a sport tourer with so many toys that I haven't found them all yet in 9000 kms. Corners like a sports bike, but good for 8 hours in the saddle with the cruise control on. Could do with losing about 20kgs, but I don't notice that while riding. Was great on the 700km motorway trip to Toulon and fantastic through the twisty mountain roads of Corsica a few weeks ago. Never found anywhere that a GS would be better.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sounds and looks like an interesting bike.

There’s quite a few folk on here asking for a sports tourer. I’ve even emailed Ducati GB.
    If they’re not going to listen then folks are going to head for bikes like this and the Kawasaki.

Are you listening Ducati?

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Mates just purchased another brand new Tuono to add to the Tuono he bought brand new March this year, they’re both different colours though so kinda makes sense. He got a very good PX deal on his BMW S1000r M that he bought brand new in July lost only £550 on the BMW. :)

20. I bought a low mileage BMW R1200RT -15 in June, because of a good price. Been waiting for Moto Guzzi to present something for the strada, now they did! Anyway this BMW really spoiled me and my wife for touring, but every time I look and start my ST3 I feel like cheating my wife, she want me to sell it maybe because of that.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information