1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 What's A Normal Amount Of Swarf To Find At An Oil Change?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by heavenfor8, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Hi there, I have been lurking for a while on this forum and have got a huge amount of information that has really added to my ownership experience, but this is the first time i have posted a direct question.
    I recently changed the oil. How much swarf and metal particles should I expect to see on the plug and on the pick up filter? Is what you see on the attached picture normal or a sign of nasty issues and flaking rockers? P1030661.JPG

2. What sort of mileage you done since the last service or oil change heavenfor8?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. This is the first time I have changed it since I acquired it. I am told it was done by the dealer when I bought it a year or so ago; so around a couple of thousand, but i cannot be 100% sure

4. And current mileage and last valve check and riding style.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Mileage is c.25k. Riding style is restrained road use.
    Looking through the receipts I can see some rockers seem to have been replaced by Pro V Twins at c.17k back in 2012, but cant be too sure beyond that...

6. Moreish with a touch of rebellion à la ..."I'm escaping impending doom"...

• Like Like x 1
  7. You should have a valve service every 6k mls. If the last was at 17k that's 2k mls over.

Are you any good with spanners? Otherwise it's not a small bill.

I think you need a good look through the receipts to check belts, fuel and air filters and spark plugs.

Good luck.

8. This may prove a useful buy. But it could also be a waste of money. Although you should get your money back depending on what they sell for.
    Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263204761402

9. What year 748 is it?

10. Simple answer, none. Looks like some expense is imminent unfortunately

11. Does the stuff on the screen stick to the magnet?

12. CR those all look past their best, 6 of the 8 openers need repairing and the other two are well worn, the closers don't usually wear much so will most likely be of no use

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. On the magnet, ferrous accumulation should be, sooth as lipstick, between the fingers, no sharp edged lumps your magnet is fine, good if represents service interval. whats on the screen? test with magnet?
    what are those sharp looking bits, and the lumpy bits? magnetic or non: if chrome possible cam follower surface material from rocker surfaces? likely? mine eats cam followers? 3 changed in 6500km

Do Not Sell My Personal Information