1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats The Best Polish.

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by plumber 64, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Was in a local car body panel shop to buy a battery for the NC29 and was watching for the umteenth time a video advert for Greased Lightning Showroom Shine whilst I waited. Got the battery and on the spur of the moment decided to try a bottle of the stuff which the shop did at a discount. Have to say I wasn't expecting miracles but as the 1098R fairing panels were off the bike I thought I'd give the stuff a go. I didn't think that the fairings were bad but this stuff clearly lifted dirt that I didn't see and once buffed with a clean cloth, the depth of shine and clarity of colour is really impressive. I'm now interested in how long the finish will last. Andy

#21 Android853sp, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. R222 paintwork cleaner followed by a couple of light coats if R222 carnuba wax for me. Bugs and dirt just don't stick to the paintwork/fairings when carnuba has been applied and buffed properly. Longer its on the better the protection gets too :)

3. I use either megs or autoglym polish followed by autofinnesse carnuba wax

4. Mr Sheen

• Like Like x 2
  5. + 1 for the autoglym. I use the autoglym HD which has lasted very well! Bit of WD40 of the rear wheel to loosen off the crap then wash, then polish!

6. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: quality bit of spit & polish dave...

7. So a follow up on the Greased Lightning Showroom Shine waterless cleaner and polish (contains carnauba wax) as I've been using it for 10 months. I have used it as a waterless cleaner on the car and have been very impressed but I have not had the courage to use it waterless on the bike so it's been more of a polish. As said before it picks up ingrained dirt that washing misses and it does give a very deep 3D shine to paintwork. It's easy to apply from a spray bottle and you need two microfibre cloths, one for cleaning whichs gets dirty very quickly and one to polish with. The absolute strength of this stuff is how easily it removes grease, chain wax, tyre rubber and tar which it does better than anything I've use before. Been sat here in the warm, cleaning and polishing the 1098R bodywork before it goes up in the loft, no mess and no fuss. All the carbon has come up really nicely as has the paintwork. It has even made the plastic passable. The product isn't cheap but I bought a 5 litre bottle at a discount so works out about £5/litre and I reckon 1 litre will do the bike 5 maybe 6 times. Can't say if a build up of the wax element has made any difference to the wash but the bikes do come up looking nice and clean so I'm not polishing after every wash. Not being OCD when it comes to cleaning, it's an ideal product for me. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. I tend not to over think this. I ride, then wash the bike next time I feel like it but then give it a good scrub up and autoglym once every couple of months. in between then yeah mr sheen after a quick wipe down.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Swissvax Metal polish & G Techniq M1 Metal polish are BOTH outstanding product.
    Autoglym HD is terrible UNLESS you prepare the surface correctly...otherwise it lasts only two weeks...
    Improper contact washing also diminishes the product.
    The most important step is decontamination....as this helps the product to bond correctly.
    Finish by using Gtechniq C2v3 for gloss and 8 months protection.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gtechniq stuff is amazing! But as you say prep/decontamination is key whatever product your using.
    If you clean it properly and use a GOOD wax after you won't need to re apply for a long time!
    There are so many great products out there now but you won't find them on the shelves in halfords. It's worth trying sample bottles of stuff if you can to find something you like as there is more than enough in them to do a bike.

11. Hmmm, must try that Andy.

Wasn't the OP asking about polished aluminium though?

For polished aluminium, I find Autoglym liquid (ie in a plastic bottle) metal polish to be absolutely amazing - a mirror finish in double-quick time...

#31 Old rider, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  12. image.jpeg

I used brasso on my exhaust ends

13. That will clean it but it won't polish the actual metal, although brasso may polish aluminium as its probably similarly soft to brass. Autoglym will polish both metals better though.

14. I do like autoglym too :)

15. I'm on their Facebook page and check out their forum
    If your on Facebook Gtechnics have a £420 freebie of cleaning products to give away :)

16. that was a while ago now.... probably away with the painkiller fairies!!
    best metal polish ive used it Poorboys metal polish, green in colour, smells of mint and super easy on the elbow, leaves water beads same as highly waxed paint.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. autosol metal polish ;)!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hi exige how much is one of ya starter kits for me multi 2013 comments look good on them and I got new battery coming so may as well go whole hog

19. @Exige

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. I'll send you a PM...

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information