1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Wheel Bearing Removal?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by BigAlan, Jun 11, 2018.

1. So I am thinking of getting the wheels powder coated as my painter is off and won’t have time to do them before I need to fit new tyres, I am told I will have to remove the wheel bearings (is this correct) and if so how hard is it to do?

I can pop the wheels out easy enough and have tools and half a brain. Bike is 2 years old with 5k miles.

#1 BigAlan, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  2. Normally simple enough

You will need to dismantle brake discs and abs rings too and take out and replace the seals with new as they are likely to be damaged on removal

Then using a suitable brass drift knock from one side on the outer race of the other - unless of cause you have a bearing pulling system

Personally I would suggest if you are going to change the bearings as I would just to use a steel drift and knock in centre of bearing to drift it out - but bearings would then need changing - but it should avoid any potential wheel damage

New bearings can be pushed, pulled or tapped in again but avoid the inner surface altogether and push or knock or tap just the outer race on the new bearing

On the in or the out little force working your way around the circumference to ensure goes in / out squarely

3. Also rear wheel does not have a. Bearing that’s on hub that stays on bike

4. Getting the bearings out is a lot easier than putting them back in.

You can make life easier by putting the bearings in a sealable bag and leaving them in the freezer for a couple of hours.

I’m trying to remember if there is a circlip on one side of the wheel, check the parts diagram to make sure, otherwise you could be hammering away for a while!

Finally, I’m sure I must have read your post incorrectly. You’re not suggesting that you are getting the wheels coated after the new tyres are fitted?

5. Good idea about putting them in the fridge, no I have the idea to remove everything possible before powder coating them, I may even do the ABS rings as I did on my previous bike, just finishes it off.

I may get a spare bit of steel coated and try lacquering them just to see what it looks like, if it ruins it then I have not stuffed the wheels.

6. Putting in the bearings (After a few hours freezer time) is easier if you have a large socket that matches the outside bearing diameter ... You can then tap on the socket to push the bearing in so as not to accidentally hit the inner race.

7. I have a selection of sockets right up to 2” so one should suffice, thanks.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information