1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Is A Van Not A Van?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by JimVee, Mar 22, 2018.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  1. It’s also important with regards to speed limits as well, which again has been discussed a number of times on forums/pages, as vans have lower speed limits on certain roads than cars, most notably where a car can do 60 a “van” can only do 50

2. Yep I got nicked in a transit connect. Hadn’t even occurred to me that the speed limit would be different and it’s classed as a commercial vehicle.

Daft thing is if you buy the one with windows in the back and seats it’s not so you can do the same speed as everyone else.
    Stupid system

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Van is 60 on A and B roads same as a car, but still 60 on a duel carriage way which for cars is 70. Still 70 on a motorway for a van too. So a van is the same as a car other than a duel cartridge way... that's how i understand it anyhoo :)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. not always, a main rd near me is 50mph for vans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I'm just in the process of buying a Kombi for business. I best give the accountant a ring and check this out!
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Is a crew cab pickup a car or a van?

7. Nope. Van which is not car derived is generally 10mph less on A and B roads and dual carriageway (more than one lane with a central divide)
    https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Car derived? If not, van :upyeah:

9. Nope, actually it’s insured as a van. Kind of answers my question doh!

10. That's exactly what I said :thinkingface:

11. A van is 50 on an A road. Not 60 as said above by you. If you wish to continue driving yours as if it’s not lower, and believing you’re right rather is more important than being right, crack on :upyeah:

#12 bradders, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  12. I just drive at what speed i want to within reason and keep my eye's wide open just in case there's a problem ahead,but will take on board the 50mph rule:upyeah:

13. I have a T6 Caravelle which is a van with seats and windows, classed as a car and it allegedly does 125mph...officer

14. Only if a duel carriageway - you need to read your own post :/)
    It was a copper who told me that :eek: thick bitch (her not you) :)

15. When Is A Van Not A Van?
    When it's a painted white heat-seeking missile with a proximity lock on!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Some people can have a row with themselves in a lift all alone. Whatever.

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  17. Goods vehicles (not more than 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)
    Built-up areas mph (km/h) 30 (48)
    Single carriageways mph (km/h) 50 (80)
    Dual carriageways mph (km/h) 60 (96)
    Motorways mph (km/h) 70 (112) OR 60 (96) if articulated or towing a trailer

However your van now might be a car!

18. When I had pickups (I've had 3) they were classed as commercial because of the one ton payload.
    The vat man told me I couldn't claim the vat back because it had side windows and rear seats.......but I ignored him. ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Have a panel van converted to a camper, change v5 and you can drive at the same speeds as a car. The conversion without the v5 is still a van when it comes to speeding-tax

Do Not Sell My Personal Information