1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When It's Time To Give Up Sports Bikes...................

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by El Toro, Mar 28, 2016.

1. You've not ridden the Diavel have you?

2. No... Luckily I haven't!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

3. You should. But ride it like a sports bike not a cruiser. Then you'll understand.

4. No. Not for me I'm afraid et.... I'll stick with the hyper..!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

5. Hi Andy,

Its a Rhodesian Ridgeback mate, I've had 3 of them great dogs, very intelligent, strong willed, funny and loyal, that's my last one in my Avatar - "Buster" was a lovable rascal, all 63 kgs of him, that's just short of 10 stone!

You'll be right with your back mate, it'll just take a bit of time, so I don't derail this thread I've replied to your "thank you" thread with a bit more detail.

6. That's a killer question. Would have been sportsbikes all the way (it's all Ive owned for the last 25 years). Bought a new 2015 Multi last year and it's changed my view of biking. I dont like the look of the Multi or other non-sportsbikes, but as a piece of kit to enjoy riding 99% of the time, I love it. BUT it's on its first track day in a couple of weeks; I think I might not like it so much there!
    My ego says sportsbike, everything else says Multi wins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. This all depends on why you're giving up sports bikes.
    I guess most people still want performance but:
    a. they need comfort and performance - body getting old.
    b. they need practicality and performance - type of riding has changed.
    c. they want performance but need to slow down a bit - reactions getting old.

For comfortable performance I've got to plug the KTM 1290 SDR again. The amount of go (and with a few tweaks the handling) is right up there with any litre sports bike but its by far and away the most comfortable super naked. Other than the lack of a screen (get the 1290 GT) its as comfortable as any plush sports tourer or upright. You can absolutely nail it all day, hang off it, shred the tyres, scrape things, and still get off and be able to walk. In fact I've noticed this on fast ride outs. Whereas I'll be tired after a lively day on the Streetfighter and there comes a point when I've really had enough, on the SDR when everyone else is starting to flag I still feel fresh and want to keep going. Could be the new-bike adrenalin hasn't worn off yet but I get the same thing on the SMT.
    Perfectly practical for solo and mostly dry weather touring. (For two-up Autobahn-eating in the rain, that's what the 1290 GT is for).

For practical performance and general domestic blatting its the 1290 GT (very manageable for those shorter of leg) or a big upright - a Multi/1190 Adventure/1200GS.
    For long distance practicality, Multi, 1290 Adventure/GT or 1200GS

For less manic performance, hmm.... Options.
    The old Diavel appeals a lot. (Possibly the XDiavel but comfort worries for me. No problems there with the original. Its a jet-powered armchair) Very fast but without the manic character or a sports bike. Point and squirt entertainment rather than wannabe racer heroics.
    Or, dare I say it, an actual traditional cruiser, a la Harley. Wouldn't have said that until last weekend when I took a Triumph Thunderbird out for a laugh on a Triumph open day. Sumptuous comfort but not slow by any means. A big Harley would win off the lights but past 60/70 the Triumph would disappear. I had it up past 110 and it was pulling like a train, not wheezing at all. handling wasn't half bad either. No Panigale but no donkey in a sandpit either. A lot of fun.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I currently ride a Sport Classic GT1000 and have always found this to be comfortable & fun. I've also tried the Multistrada 1200 & the BMW R1200GS (twin cam version). Both are comfortable with fairly decent protection & can be ridden to make progress. The air-cooled BMW understandably doesn't have the grunt & pace of the Multistrada, but would still make a decent commuter or tourer.

I've ridden 2 Diavels, and found the bike to be much more comfortable (for me) with the sports screen & the comfort seat which has a higher seat height than the standard seat. Looks like it shouldn't really handle, but it does. A proper giggle!

• Like Like x 1
  9. 55 years old ...still love my gixer but hardly ride her (bit like the wife) mind is willing but the aches and pains are getting to much..i will stop riding sports bikes and every other type of bike when they stop putting a smile on my face

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. A vote for BMW S1r when you cant handle the dropped handle bars, arse up, head down riding position. All the sportsbike you need. Will track day. 250miles a day fast touring (to the edge of tyres) and no aches from crazy riding positions!
    If finances had allowed, probably would have had a two bike garage and kept mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mms_20160325_175227.jpg Guzzi 1100 sport, since 40th, some 20 years ago and when mts was off road for gearsensor, used guzzi to loomies, good hard ride there about 60 miles and ibuprofen on way back, still a good bike / ride

• Like Like x 1
  12. You shouldn't knock comfy bikes. They make so much sense for road use.
    I have several bikes and a couple of them are so comfy i can ride 400 miles in one stint, just stopping once for fuel and still having plenty of fun along the way, and can step off with no aches or pains. Upright ergonomics mean you can go for overtakes that would not be possible on an arse up, head down bike due to better visibility, therefore from A to B in normal traffic conditions you will not get there any quicker because you have fully adjustable Ohlins or carbon this and that. If you believe bikes are only for short blasts, and cars are better for long distance then fine, but you are missing out in a big way.
    The only place a modern sportsbike can be used to its full potential is on a track day. If you think otherwise i reckon you are either a death waiting to happen or not as fast as you think you are.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. your never to old so no reason to give up just get another bike to go with the sports bike

• Like Like x 1
  14. when-its-time-to-give-up-sports-bikes?

About 5.09pm on a Friday. Just time to get a few pints in.
    And then start the habit again tomorrow.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. When after a ride you spend the next two weeks worrying what your going to get in the post. Then maybe it's time to give them up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. When you can't remember if you rode fast enough to get a letter in the post

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. I got the Tt sport 240 what a car, my second Tt they are fabulous if I have to hang up my leathers the Tt will soften the blow,maybe a cheaper Tt not sure yet,might flog the sport

18. Just turned 55 and my 999S still floats my boat and isn't too extreme for me, although I do tend to feel the aches and pains more than I did say 10 years ago I reckon theres still a good few years left yet on my bike, having said that and after looking round for an alternative I quite like the look of a Tuono V4R,or maybe a MV Brutale....my mates got the Tuono and its an awesome bit of kit.

19. I'm 55 ride a 848 and will never give up it or my RVF400

20. Yes an rvf should be a permanent fixture alongside an 848 ...you sir are doing your job properly I envy you

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information