1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When It's Time To Give Up Sports Bikes...................

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by El Toro, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Well I used to think it would be one of these
    ac-invacar-08[1].jpg

and then I saw this

A 107mph mobility scooter, and this

Shopping in Boots for my voltarol and glucosamine would be a hoot

3. Hi everyone,

I see this topic is still chugging on, well for me I traded in my Streetfighter for a BMW S1000R after a test ride left me giggling how fast it was. Took it on a long tour from Germany through Austria, Lichtenstein, Switzerland with a final destination of lake Garda in Italy. Unfortunately a young lady in Switzerland decided that she wanted the bit of road I was on and punted me off wrecking the Beemer and me in the process, so finished the holiday with broken ribs and a flight home. The RAC lost the bike for 8 weeks, and by the way their European service was appalling so will never have cover from them again. Prior to the punt I was enjoying the trip, I only take a minimal bag strapped to the rear seat so no handling issues, but was finding the Beemer a bit lacking in character. Don't get me wrong the Beemer is a really fine bike but I was missing the Streetfighter. So after the Beemer was repaired at over £7k, I test rode the Monster 1200R and realised I just love V twins and now I'm back on a Ducati and loving it. The Monster is a sweet handling beastie with a nice punchy motor, I suppose it is like the Streetfighter without some of the annoying bits like the awkward right peg exhaust clash. My only real complaint is why was a quick-shifter not included on a bike that was £15,500 new (Igot a black one). I was lucky to get mine an ex demo bike with only 750 miles on the clock and saved over £2k, I still think the Streetfighter was one of the best bikes Ducati ever made and would buy a Panigale engined version tomorrow. So regarding the naked v sports bike I can thoroughly recommend the S100R, and the Monster 1200R I also rode a mates GSX-S1000 he has put an uprated shock on the back and for a real budget bike I was impressed. Having recently test ridden a couple of sport-bikes (new R1, Blade and a Panigale) I still think the supernakeds are for me every bit as much fun, plenty fast enough and much more comfortable although if I could afford 2 bikes and had the room a Panigale would be sat in my garage next to the Monster.

Unkle Savage

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just sold my s1000rr, knee problems, and there was only ever one bike in the running. Multistrader for me all the way. Have eventually got to ride it and I find I need leg extensions. Had a large fright when I parked it in very flat sandals. Real balancing act to get it off the sidestand. Note to self put your boots on dummy.

Regards

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just planned a 2week 2000 mile trip to Vienna on my 999 with gf on back. We are 64. Will be packing anti inflam tabs.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ive got a 851,900ss and a rgv 250 for low miles fast rides but find I'm starting to favour my suzuki gt550 for two up distance journeys that involve town work,turns in its own circle,can cruise at 70-80mph two up,easy to work on,light, it's my "old mans bike!" Old injuries restrict cramped longer rides!

7. Hope you survive your trip. There's plenty to enjoy in Vienna, especially if you like drinking good coffee in old pavement cafes, likewise in Baden-Baden and Munich. You would both be more comfortable on a Multistrada with luggage. Want to borrow mine?

8. Thanks Pete for offer!! We will be fine on 999. 2-300 mile a day with plenty of days off.

9. ...Ive just made the transition to the machine below as my main bike (still have the 900ss)........this replaced a 16 yr old R1150R, which was a great bike with loads of character.......but lacking a little top end!

I know its not a Duc but the R1200RS is utterly brill - smooth, quick, torquey, comfy...and still retains the boxer character - 125bhp, 125nm torque, cornering ABS and stability control, ESA and quick shifter - would recommend.

P1070626.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  10. Guy I ride with who's 79 has just got one of these and seems to love it

11. I think its a case of how you, yourself feels physically and mentally. I'm getting on a bit now (48)....day to day I use a z1000 and a 1100 evo sp hyper but also have an RSV4 which is currently having a pre TT refresh...got a bit of an achy right leg (suspect ill be needing hip replacement) but I can put up with it just to ride the RSV4 which after 5 years still impresses me....if I had to sell all the bikes and keep one it would be the z.

12. 79!!!!

Glad he's enjoying it!

• Like Like x 2
  13. I heard about a 86 yr old who has 3 bikes, a honda of some description and 2 BSA's. One is a goldflash 500 twin. The BSAOC call for him, get his bike out and start it, then he goes out for a ride with them.

• Like Like x 3
  14. it became way too uncomfortable so have taken up cycling now.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I've decided to get a monster, but would have loved a cafe racer style bike like the scrambler cafe racer. Almost stopping sports bikes, still wouldn't mind trying a 1299 and s1000rr

16. ^ I can vouch for a Monster being comfortable. First models you can get both feet on the ground easily if around 6 ft.

• Like Like x 1
  17. @GordonH

I'm toying with the idea of something more upright as a commuter but do you not find as the bike is so wide you do limit your filtering ability through town - i go in and out of London a couple of times a week and my 1198s (with no wing mirrors) is absolutely ideal as it fits through the smallest of gaps? I was looking at Hypers but the wide bars puts me off.

18. Not that id be seen dead on one but what about a scrambler converted to a cafe racer...that would be quite narrow...my mate is just finishing one off at the moment (at the painshop) - i dont want to post photo's as its his bike but its very small, narrow and looks pretty flickable. I know theres a cafe racer out but, id say a converted one looks better...

WALZWERK-RACING-004.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fantastic bike to ride... don't jump to conclusions [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Got me thinking now Comfy. Might try one out.
    Cheap (ish), reliable, comfortable, don't mind it getting wet. Hmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do Not Sell My Personal Information