1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Organising Accommodation What Do You Look For?

Discussion in 'Touring' started by West Cork Paul, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Hotel booking websites tend to have inadequate or misleading information about parking.
    • Is there any parking?
    • Is it secure?
    • Is it undercover?
    • Is it free or what does it cost?
    Finding this stuff out requires careful study of each website, or maybe a phone call. Typically there is masses of information about things I don't care about, and not enough of the info I need.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. This! We got screwed on last year trip, we had a choice between a cheaper and expensive. Chose the more expensive because it said it had air conditioning. Well, in the normal rooms it didn't :rolleyes: Also, we always contact beforehand about the parking, as it can be better or worse than advertized.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Mini bar and a swimming pool.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. PS must be on Hotels.com or Booking.com. Preferably Hotels.com then I get a contribution to my free night :upyeah::D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Short stay the big concern is the off road secure - ideally locked/ covered - parking. A room is a room for one night, and if its cheap its probably ordinary, if it costs a bit more its probably better.

Longer stays the parking remains essential, but I also want full bath, balcony & view, pool, restaurant, bar, sat TV in English, wifi. Location not critical unless its in a beach area then very close to the sea -don't you hate riding to the beach in leathers?.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. 1 and a bit out of 3 could be arranged :)

#26 West Cork Paul, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  7. Is an outdoor, unheated, natural spring water pool ok? (aka a pond with a mountain stream running through it) :) Otherwise it’s tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick. I need a tick box emoji :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. In order of preference if a one nighter
    Secure/safe parking
    Hotel bar,3 quick shifters before we go to our rooms is our usual pattern
    Short walk to nice meal and a few drinks

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Coz they use photoshop in the movies!

10. Will 2 locally suffice? I’m not kidding.
    Plus, if I feel like putting the effort in you’ll get Michelin star food just not Michelin star service.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Both possible just the pool is alfresco, see above.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. I’ll look into hotels.com, thanks. I mostly always use booking.com coz it’s so quick and efficient.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nice sunloungers and waiter service

No kids

14. Petrol station in easy reach. Its no good being miles away if using as a base for touring.

15. In some countries, especially in small towns, restaurants are open Monday to Saturday only but closed on Sunday (or close very early). That can include the restaurant in the hotel. If you have forgotten it's a Sunday you can get caught out and be left hungry on Sunday night. Don't ask how I know this.

16. Sure thing.

I can move the sunloungers from the viewing deck, where they presently command a 180 degree view of the Harbour and islands, down to the alfresco pool if you want, I just can’t guarantee the sun.

Waiter service consists of me keeping the fridge topped up and you helping yourself.

There will be no small kids just big ones with motorbikes who refuse to grow up :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. 7km away, but there’s always 20-40ltr on site anyway. :upyeah:

18. Agreed. It happens. Here, out of season you’ll struggle to get fed after 9pm but at least most are open. Apart from which I’m planning on offering dinner if desired. :upyeah:

19. Lots of useful info, thanks to all, please do keep the suggestions & requirements coming:upyeah:. Oh, and thanks for keeping it mostly on thread :).

Do Not Sell My Personal Information