1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Rossi Retires...

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Masklin, Aug 31, 2019.

1. At Silverstone last week had a conversation with a group of four Rossi fans. In short, they said that when Rossi retired from racing they would stop following MotoGP.

Must admit I don’t really get that attitude. I mean, if Rossi stopped racing but elected to visit the various circuits on his own and just ride around solo for twenty laps that would fulfil the needs of these folk wouldn’t it?

Why bother going to races at all if you’re not really interested in the racing but rather just watching one individual going round in circles. Personality cults are weird.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. Maybe...

It could be that they started following Rossi, watching his career develop. They follow MotoGP to see how he performs against the competition so its not just like watching him ride around for twenty laps?

I'm like you in that I like the racing for what it is, though we could be in the minority...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I admit to this :D. I watched wsb back when foggy was in it, not just foggy though, haga, Chili, Corser, edwards etc, it was difficult to describe in that for me these were the Glory days of wsb, once foggy stopped riding, that whole group had started to fade away and the racing became more clinical than personality. the same I suspect with Rossi in that once he stops riding then an important part of that jigsaw will be missing.

There has to be more in the sport than just racing, otherwise you get formula 1

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I probably have a sabbatical until a British kid comes along that cuts the mustard,i've been watching motor racing in many formats for thirty five plus odd years & i like being outside in the summertime doing things these days,,,not watching the box.

5. It’s surely normal to have a favourite, particularly if he’s arguably the best ever, but no, you can’t dismiss the sport because one participant leaves it. That’s just being a fan boy. Why bother going to the races if that’s how you feel? Just get a load of posters for your wall & save yourself the entrance fee.

6. Isn't a fan boy liking something however bad it is but you still insist on the brand?

7. Yes with Rossi being the brand (although obviously he’s far from awful!) I see it as just a blind allegiance to a thing to the exclusion of the wider thing :)

8. May be that he was the attraction and still is, as no one else matches as a package.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I completely understand.Ive watched racing,two and four wheels,since the seventy s.I need someone to follow,a hero,if you like.Without which,it just doesnt seem to matter.As above,I remember watching WSBK with Foggy.Couldnt get enough of it.Ive watched precious little since!Sheene got me into GPs,then I had to find others to follow,unfortunatly not Brits.I hopefully wont stop watching when Rossi goes but can see why some might.If Im honest Ive tried hard to dislike Marquez,failed on that score,but surely you must have a hero.....Ooh,fag break....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Love MotoGP but I've never really done hero worship. Rossi will definitely leave a big hole in MotoGP when he packs it in but I'll still watch it. I definitely follow riders and like to see them win but I like all the competition too... You definitely won't see me wearing wanky MM or VR46 tat. I've currently got the Rossi AGV Pista lid (coz I liked it) but I had to find one without Rossi/VR46 plastered all over it before I bought one. Am I weird? :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  11. It was interesting to see that the Marquez t-shirt stalls are now as big as the Rossi equivalents and i think there were probably more of them.

Next year will, i think, be Rossi's last and every race will sell out as a result if he announces it in January or so.

12. I used to follow Cal when I had a cat, but I could never figure out which one spent more time in the kitty litter :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. I get the desire to follow a rider, I personally just don’t get the desire to follow a rider with quite the devoted reverence that Rossi seems to inspire.

After all he’s not the messiah, he’s a very talented and occasionally naughty MotoGP rider.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. a lot of these posts seem most questionable. Basically, saying you prefer a man to sport. That's what most wimmin do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. to quit watching a sport when someone quits is hard to understand....You cant knock rossi, but Stoner was some pilot too.

in saying that i dont watch motogp anymore, havent for a few yrs now, i dont know why, just found it boring or too clinical , i dont know what.

been to a couple of WSBK races and met riders, not done any BSB yet though ,and its only across the road ( well the pond )

16. Yes/No :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information