1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Where Has My Rear Brake Gone?!

Discussion in 'Monster' started by firecat0_0, May 16, 2020.

1. Had same thing with My 2015... it wouldn’t even bleed! I’ve replaced the master and could only bleed using a pneumatic bleeder. Never had any problems previously on other bikes.
    It’s still not perfect but it passed mot and I rarely use rear brakes.

2. I've had the same problem with my 1198S, hanging a weight overnight on the brake lever will bring the pressure back but I wanted something more permanent.
    I always believed the brake faded due to the heat from the exhaust so I used some high temperature silicone boost pipe of a turbo & some heat shield wrap to cover the brake hose where it runs near the exhaust.
    So far so good, the pedal still feels good with no excessive movement.

IMG_4362.jpeg

IMG_4363.jpeg

IMG_4365.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  3. :astonished: that is close to the exhaust isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yup, lagged the exhaust front pipe to protect the carbon lower fairing too as the original started to bubble

5. Got my 1098 out after 6 year layup, back brake working fine with nice solid pedal. :D:D:D:D
    Just saying like y'know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Are watching this thread i thought i'd try my rear brakea on both Ducati's,and yes they're both straight down to the floor with the lever,totally crap in my opinion.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Checked the monster over pre ride today and the pedal has full travel and absolutely no pressure. This is the second time this has happened! Exactly the same as when I originally started this thread! The multi is fine, last time the dealer bled it and restored it but there is clearly something amiss with this set up. Hopefully the dealer will be able to sort it quickly this time. What brake fluid should I buy if they cannot sort it?

8. Water is not compressible surely, it heats up and boils perhaps

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. I was previously corrected in post #18 and have now added a correction to my original post.
    Thanks for the reminder

#29 Borgo Panigale, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  10. Apologies, missed the previous correction, reading too quickly

• Like Like x 1
  11. Not been back to this thread for a while and thought I would update it. Dealer bled the system with HT brake fluid which restored the rear brake but in the intervening period it has started to decline. Ducati are aware and are replacing the current brake line under warranty - when they get the parts - anticipated second week of September. Fuel sender has now failed so that will be done at the same time assuming the dealer can actually get the parts from ducati.

12. What's gone wrong with your fuel sender?

13. Reads empty with a full tank. Apparently subject of a ducati replacement - worked fine until a few weeks ago read Ok when ignition was switched on, a few miles down the road it changed to amber refuel light and red light flashing for immediate refuel. It took £2.50 to fill it to brimming.

14. Ahh, that's a different fault to one I have have, hope it gets fixed, mine has taken two years and they still cant fix it.

15. Booked in for replacement lines on ducati recall but temporary fix was to bleed with ht brake fluid _ dealer (Snells) did a great job.

16. I hardly touch the rear brake, but found out I had zero recently on an incline. Now bled, and bled again. Got a little bit now. Just a poor design and previous Ducati have had virtually no rear brake either. They must assume we just use engine braking to slow down o_O

17. Rarely use the rear brake like most people but if one is fitted it should work as designed rather than exerting no braking force what so ever because the brake line runs close to the exhaust and boils the fluid. It is subject to a replacement at Ducati’s expense. Lots of model years of the monster are affected.

18. Did they contact you re. recall or did you have to call them?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information