1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Which 1200 Is The Best And Why ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by noobie, Oct 22, 2018.

1. I've tried both ways and once it starts waggling at high speed there is no option other than back of the throttle quickly, this is with new tyres, balanced and correct pressures and suspension set for my weight. Never had a bike that does it before and i tend to blame the handguards as a friend removed his and the issue went away.

2. Funny thing, I've never had even the hint of a tankslapper on any Ducati I've ever had. As the Multi doesn't have a steering damper, and has wide bars, it is possible to provoke a very minor headshake when getting hard on the throttle whilst still cranked over exiting a bend, but it's just a single reminder that you're unweighting the front.

3. If you snap the gas shut while in tank slapper, it will get worse. Loose grip, power on thru

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. My issue is not so much cranked over coming out of corners, it’s on the straight at higher autobahn speeds ;-).
    Hit 120 and the bars start to shake to the point a full on tank slapper may occur.

5. Only had the bars shake on the DVT when it was fully loaded with panniers and top box at 3 figure speeds, didn't happen with no boxes on the bike.
    The 1260 is rock solid boxes or not at any speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Just about to ride my 1200s today and remembered that after a while I get bum ache, and the feeling that the seat pushes me forwards.
    Has anyone found a good replacement?
    The other question is should I replace the pillion seat, will it look wrong if I don't?
    The wife has no real complaints but I guess if you sat on the same seat for hours on end you will get a numb bum.
    Any advice welcome

7. Personally I think the DVT is the best but I do like the twin spark engine it seems to have a raw edge the DVT lacks

8. C0BA4688-F7DC-4080-AC85-ECFE6B13D595.jpeg
    This one!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I have the DP comfort seat for sale. I used it once and it was mega comfy and you didn’t slide forward. £325 delivered. Note it adds about an inch seat height, which is why I used it only once

Edit it’s from a dvt

10. Still very much a fan of the Gen 1 1200 here - ballistic engine plus the semi-active Öhlins is a compelling combination. Most of those that needed warranty work done, will have had it done by now and be sorted. I had the radiator core collapse and the leaky clocks but, so far, no issues with the cylinder heads.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Bradders, I'm tempted by this, only problem being the black/grey pillion seat of the 1260 would look crap with it, that and the price. Would have to source a std 1200 DVT pillion seat on eBay. Can't really justify the cost at the moment but might well be kicking myself next year with three tours scheduled.

12. Jqworle, are you on a dvt ?
    The dvts definitely get a but of a weave on at 3 figure speeds when solo and panniers, but never heard them progress into a tank slapper. Put a pillion on too and it stops. All seems to be to do with the air flow as it happens regardless of standard or short screen.
    The earlier bikes do not suffer from this.
    I've never had a tank slapper on either of my bikes (2010 & 2012) despite being pretty agressive with the throttle and often having the front wheel light / airborne.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yes I,m on a 2017 dvt s

14. Thanks for the offer, I don't think I need any more seat height though.
    Do all the aftermarket seats raise the overall height?

15. I have had the front end wag a few times, was going to fit a steering damper, few on here said that it never happens but it does. Both times i was hard on acceleration & going - 20mph. Never turned into anything else & calmed down ok. 2017 1200S dvt

16. Are you missing a "1" in front of the 20mph ;)

17. Just as a different bike perspective, you'd be surprised how many times these weaves or wobbles are not bike but either incorrect tyre pressures or a loss of a wheel weight so the wheel is unbalanced.

18. For pretty much anything built in the last 20 years, it’s almost never the bike. I’ve lost track of the number of associates who’ve complained that either their bike or one they were thinking of riding shook its head too much (which is not the same as a tank slapper), and they sold it, didn’t buy it or fitted a steering damper which, invariably wound up to the max, actually made the thing handle like a sofa on castors. In rough descending order of cause, I’d put: 1: incorrect tyre pressures; 2: poor rider input; 3: shagged/badly adjusted head races; 4; Road surface at a particular point 5: something else mechanical (including shed weights). Notice that nowhere on that list does design/geometry of the machine appear. I’ve only had genuine tank slappers twice in my mumble-mumble years riding career and both were notorious offenders: the original Kawasaki Mach III and the fecking Suzuki TL1000R. The former would tank slap if you looked at it askance and the latter once it got hot and the damping vanished from the rotary damper. The Kawa (according to its owner) improved dramatically once he’d fitted a steering damper and some european tyres. I have had the gentle weave on a few tourers with loaded panniers, but only when comprehensively ignoring the manufacturers ‘do not exceed’ speed when fitted with luggage.

#38 Technomad, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I still have the original cut down screen and another puig sport screen not for my bike

20. Where are you based? Might be worth a look.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information