1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Which 1200 Is The Best And Why ?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by noobie, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Had a strange one today, out for a ride with the wife on the back, I had forgotten to change the settings from one rider to two, no big deal I thought.
    Blasting along a big open road, I normally get the poke in the ribs that I'm going too fast, but nothing happened, the buffeting was virtually gone, smooth as silk.
    Normally at those big speeds with a pillion, it can get a bit noisy, but with the single setting I'm assuming it would sit a little lower at the back with a softer setting.
    It was an absolute joy, quiet and smooth, the wind was hitting my shoulders rather than my head.
    I may take her out more often.

• Like Like x 3
  2. May take who out more often the bike or the wife

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Just shows that a soft bike isn’t always a bad one :upyeah:

4. I think it was just enough to change the angle of the screen.
    Its staying in sport and single rider unless we have the panniers on

• Like Like x 1
  5. Both, she made me buy the multistrada so she can't be all bad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I need to correct a mistake I made in an earlier post on this hread. 2017 Multi 1200s. I used the phrase tank slapper. Which was incorrect. The only time I have had a proper tank slapper was on gen 1 cbr600 many years ago. Lock to lock. I should have said front end shake. It has happened about 3 times since new. Each time on very hard acceleration. Twice overtaking slower vehicles & once when going over dotted line on full throttle. Just a bit unnerving. 1 up riding with Vario screen & back box without much in it. Termi system & upmap. Otherwise pretty standard. So could be a bit of an aero thing Also each time I was in touring mode so bike pretty soggy.

7. Front end light thru hard acceleration plus wide bars equals front end shake

8. Twin Spark Pike's Peak the best Multistrada model made the electronic ohlins far better than skyhook

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I haven't ridden one so can't comment but what I do know my 1199s I had, ran electronic ohlins suspention
    In a year of owning I couldn't get the bike handerling like I wanted this was the first bike I owned with full ohlins and I really wasn't impressed I could have spent a sh#t load of money getting it sorted but why should i ohlins are meant to be the bees knees
    I think and this is only my opinion skyhook is a lot cheaper no doubt but pound for pound it does a pretty decent job I know a lot of you guys will totally dis agree but this again is only my opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Did they make an electronic ohlins bike is same context as skyhook (without the added scu)?

11. No, the ohlins first versions had the full ohlins system, unlike later variants which were cut down variations of Ohlinns which you could buy.
    Ducati decided that it was cheaper to source form another manufacturer who could accommodate their costing of suspension requirements hence the change to Sachs units. The SCU was developed later after Ducati did not want to spend money on this unit and the Tie up with both companies on this suspension set up ended.

12. Nothing beats skyhook then ;) lol

13. I am sure the twin spark came with skyhook never Ohlins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. https://www.autoevolution.com/moto/ducati/multistrada/

Looks like the TS was simply skyhook. Pre-TS was Öhlins electronic but not semi-active (SCU later changed that a bit). DVT PP was plain Öhlins, no electronics.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I won't use mine in touring any more, I found the power delivery too soft.
    Touring in the Pyrennes on those big winding mountain roads I needed a snappy throttle.
    I don't think I've had front end shake but I have noticed the bike can be really sensitive to turbulance when following high vehicles.

16. You can adjust the power to high in touring. I just did mine as I prefer the power delivery for motorway miles.

17. interesting, thanks

Do Not Sell My Personal Information