1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Back Protector?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by chizel, Dec 22, 2018.

1. You are a star sir!!!! Postage and a few beer tokens it will be.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Im doing a post run on either the day after boxing day or the second, will let you know when its been set out. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Forcefield pro Sub4 is the only back protector available that lets less than 4kN of energy through in testing. The maximum allowed for Level 2 certification is 9kn.
    https://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/body-armour

If it fits it makes sense to buy the best you can.

*4kN is considered by experts to be the maximum amount of transmitted energy that should be subjected to a human to prevent severe back and rib trauma.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. A strap on? Seems harsh fella don’t do that to yeself especially this time of year :)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. I’m sure I read somewhere that back protectors would only be of benefit in 1% of accidents with the vast majority of spinal injuries being caused by rotational forces, in which case the back protector has no effect, can’t remember where I saw that but if it’s correct it makes me wonder how much use they are?, would be a good skin saver if skidding on you back I suppose?.

6. Think it would help a lot if you were to land on your back after a high side for example or hit a fixed object. I never thought they would prevent a spinal injury as such, although the likes of the dainese nemis that won't bend backwards claims to be able to.
    My thoughts were they will help prevent you getting the stuffing knocked out of you/possibly broken ribs?
    Getting older and having been a lil busted up in the past, as long as it's comfortable and doesn't hamper my movement im happy to spend a few Bob on the off chance it would help...
    Perhaps it's all a con!
    I do like the airbag idea though ...

7. Me too

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  8. A few years ago a friend that head on body-slammed an LS200 pick-up survived, but with life changing leg injuries, in part I reckon thanks to a Forcefield back/chest protector harness. Speculation on my part mind you re. it saving his life but the Forcefield armour certainly helped significantly mitigate some of the impact to his chest. Several of us bought them after that incident.

The worst aspect of the leg injury, IMHO, was caused by his knee slider being fired into his shin by the impact, was in exactly the right place. If the air ambulance had taken him to Preston they would have amputated, however, fog meant it was diverted to Middlesbrough who took the 'we can rebuild him' attitude. In retrospect he would probably have had a quicker recovery from an amputation. Anyway, as a road rider I've removed knee sliders from my leathers since that day.

#28 Bumpkin, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Chiz, I wear the track day vest here, https://www.lovelifeandride.com/ Okay it wasn’t cheap but it supports the head and neck as well as protecting collar bone, back and ribs when it deploys. An acquaintance crossed the road on a high speed left hander and hit a pot hole on the wrong side of the road at 70mph+. He slid for over 150 yards down the road under the front of the bike. Concussed and a gravel rashed hand after his summer gloves disintegrated but no broken bones or damage to chest and neck. Air bag vest was repairable with new leather panels to replace the ones that took the brunt of the slide. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Definitely Thinking I will get an airbag vest at some point in the not to distant future...
    Like the look of the Ixon one that handtoeknee posted earlier in this thread, seems to be the most trick out there at the min and a not bad price... thare things will be the norm soon and like all tech, will soon become cheap enough for the masses.
    But for the meantime I will settle for a decent back protector and hope for the best!!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Not sure those statistics are anywhere near true otherwise 99 out of every 100 racers would end up in a wheelchair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chisel,

The freebie you have been offered is great, had mine on when I highsided at Valencia and I’m sure things would have hurt a lot more.

What I would recommend is you pop over to the Knox site and order the chest protection upgrade for it, it clips and Velcro’s in place so takes no longer to put on or remove once you attach it the first time.

Dibs

13. Chiz if you remember I was wearing the Knox armour when I stopped suddenly 3 years ago.
    8 broken ribs, at the back (not cracked, but full breaks), 5 on the left and 3 on the right.
    All along the edge of the spine protection, like a turtle shell.
    I believe I'd be dead or in wheel chair without it.
    I now use the airbag system with a hardened middle bit.

14. That woman will never drown

15. I have a forcefield Gillet, back and chest protection and its even comfortable off the bike

Do Not Sell My Personal Information