748 Which Battery

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by RC1, Jul 18, 2016.

1. i currently have the a yuasa yt12b bs but halfords tool specifies Yuasa YB16AL-A2

the yuasa website states:

"No matching batteries found for your vehicle"

i know the battery in the bike currently is a few years old and as a matter of course i want to replace it

question is do i go for the yb16 or the yt12 or anything else for that matter?

IMG_20160717_215153.jpg

2. cheers Red... will buzz you a bit later!

3. The YB16 is an old technology wet battery, the YT12 is a gel battery which has better cranking amps, but the battery box will be a different size. Look at the ST2 battery box as both types were fitted to that bike, gel to the later ones. No one fits a wet battery to any new bike anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. That may be the oem battery but I would check if there is a more recent-technology AGM version available. (Absorbed glass mat)

AGM batteries have inherently higher CCA (cold cranking amps) figures, so have more oomph for starting your Ducati. They are also leak-proof and never need topping up :)

Go and see the guys at your local BBL batteries depot. Their prices are super-keen and they will give you sound advice. Just over fifty squids for my 999.

Other recommendation is to get a starting circuit cable kit from @Exige on here. Then your motor will really crank...

5. [​IMG]
    I use that in my ST2, which I think is the same original battery. Normal voltage from this one is over 13 V so bike starts much better, lights are stable and think seems to run smoother at low revs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 270 CCA! - not cheap though, I'm guessing...

7. But that is a Lithium and nothing like what the thread is about. I have one in the 848 and it saves 3kgs over the Gel with more cranking amps. Mine was about €110 delivered.

8. so i have a riser/platform on the bottom of my battery box that looks a but like the attached

9. The battery changed between years and was reduced in size. Ducati's answer was to keep the original battery box and just add a packing piece, the piece you have located. I'm currently using a Shido lithium/iron battery which retains the YT12B dimensions so you can use your existing battery box but is a fraction of the weight. Bought from Moto Rapido and has a 3 year guarantee. Only drawbacks are that it does not like cold weather and you mustn't exceed 15v during charging. Andy

10. very useful thanks. im going to stick with the old skool acid type for now. im not especially concerned yet about weight given what ill be using the bike (or not)

11. Battery - Ducati Up North

12. Bob T, YT12 is an acid AGM not a gel, the b-bs variation is supplied dry with an acid fill cartridge (I have one on my MY02 748S). Yuasa specs with early Ducati fitment http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/Yuasa_Specs_Apps_2015.pdf which states YB16al-a2 for the older models this is the big battery. Late >MY00 748s, 996s and 998s with the smaller AGM battery as standard (with the insert in the battery box) should be fitted with the yt12b-bs or equivalent. You may have to cut a bit of the steady bracket off to fit as it des not have the centre recess on the top

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/Yuasa_Specs_Apps_2015.pdf

RC1 If you are interested the reg/rec can fail to low voltage or high voltage. I have had both on my 748 in 38k miles. The high voltage failure melted a hole in a 7 year old yt12bbs agm battery which leaked only a few ccs of acid, it was being regulating to 19v as the reg rec broke down. An old style battery would have flooded the engine with acid causing extensive damage, a LI ion one would probably have caught fire and would also have done extensive damage if not written the bike off. Use the AGM it is what was specified for the bike

#13 Denzil the Ducati, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yes of course, I wrote gel but meant AGM. In any case it will not spill should the bike be dropped.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information