1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Brake Discs? 848.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by chezi61, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Hiya, the front discs on my 2009 Ducati 848 are starting to look a little worse for wear so looking at replacements. I prefer the look of the EBC discs to the Brembo's, purely because the disc carrier is gold rather than boring old black. Question is though, are the EBC discs gonna be detrimental to the braking system as it isn't oem Brembo ??? I would be looking at EBC round discs with new EBC HH sintered pads.

2. Galfer are good discs mate

3. not too keen on wavy discs but thanks for a quick reply. ☺

4. I’m running EBC on the KTM after going for a very short ride with my disc lock on : unamused:

I’ve had them on long enough to know they’re equal to the oem Brembo Kit discs that were on there. No issues.

I’m running an NG waves Disc at the rear and that’s good too.
    57B524F5-9675-47D4-92C6-D49ED9DDDCDF.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. If your Brembo are proper aftermarket Brembo I would agree. The oem stuff isn’t. It’s cheap stuff with a Brembo name and just on par with EBC.

6. Get Brembo from Omniaracing.com.
    Good prices and great service.

• Like Like x 1
  7. After much searching I have found Brembo Serie oro discs for around £330 a pair and EBC X series discs for around the £250 mark.
    Are the EBC gonna be THAT bad in comparison to OEM Brembo????
    As I said I prefer the LOOK of the EBC as the gold carrier is a bit better than boring old black that Brembo use.
    Plus the fact the discs on my bike show considerable wear on the braking surface , I reckon the disc is around 1mm thinner over the contact area of the pads compared to the original disc thickness , after 17,000 miles , another reason I lean towards EBC discs. (I machine metal for a living and it has always been a popular belief that Italian manufactured steel is pretty crap)

chz

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. If you’re replacing oem Brembo with oem Brembo, EBC will be just as good. If buying off the shelf Brembo, Brembo may be better.

To be clear, when we talk about oem Brembo, we’re not talking about Brembo’s usual quality items. We’re talking about the cheap toot that the likes of Ducati, KTM etc ask Brembo to make on the cheap so that they can tell us chumps they’re fitting top spec brands when actually they’ll be worse than cheaper brands.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Bump for new inputs...

@Beef

10. hpk brembo simples.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Thanks @Cream_Revenge ......

So EBC are probably slightly better than my standard discs, but not as good as a HPK from Brembo, but how much better are HPK over EBC, what are you getting for that £250 over the EBC price :thinkingface:

12. They are night and day different. Hpk are thicker and fully floating, I've had ebc discs on bikes in the past and binned um basically. But again just my opinion bud. Go oro discs or brake tech are good

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Morning Sev, it's track use only (2013 GSXR750), I'm inters (average) the bike has standard Brembo calipers (32mm pistons) I've put a Brembo radial on & HEL hoses. first track day was Monday, the discs are knackered, what I thought was surface rust is actually very deep corrosion pitting.
    If it helps, I would feel more confident to brake later on my 2012 Multi than the GSXR, but Monday was my first day out on it after putting it together (Cat N write off).

14. I have EBC on my Buell, but I went from a single disc to a twin disc set up so my comparison to standard isn't fair.
    Appreciate your thoughts.

15. +1 for Brembo HPK, I fitted them to my Panigale V4. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  16. HPK it is then! Thanks @Sev , that's very clear...I'd better get them on before Donny next month.

• Like Like x 1
  17. PFM - just bought my second set...got a set on my RSV4 and just got a set on my z1000 - brilliant design, iniitally expensive (550 quid for a pair) but very cheap to replace the outer disc (90 quid each). When my hyper needs discs, pfm is what its getting.

https://www.pfmbrakes.com/discs-and-kits-ducati

• Like Like x 2
  18. AAAAGH - I hadn't considered PFM! :thinkingface:

19. @Sev could you whack a pic up mate? Sounds like it could fit my k2.

20. Saw them when we were at the TT a few years ago...West Coast have a stand there. Saw them close up and the quality is amazing....took me a few years to be able to get some (RSV4 first) - i wouldnt choose anything else now, mainly for the feel and the quick release mechanism....literally seconds to remove a disc...nice as you can easily clean them...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information