1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Helmet?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by GHF1098, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Hi guys

I'm on holiday this week, so after finding out that my local (Aberdeen) bike store doesn't have any of the 2020 colours that I like for helmets on my shortlist, I spent a few hours in Motorama in Florence this afternoon. Great service & advice from Lapo. After trying numerous helmets from various manufacturers and sitting on their R1 in the showroom the winner was Shoei X-Spirit III.

Thanks for all the feedback & advice. I just hope the weather improves at home so I can use it before winter sets in!

Cheers

Graeme

• Like Like x 3
  2. Fit like,

Weather forecast does not look good here for next week,
    Heavy rain at the weekend followed by more rain during the week.

Ally

• Like Like x 1
  3. It's a bit brighter tomorrow....

I'll get me coat :D

4. I have the X-lite X-803 - I find it a great fit and they offer great value for the quality and features.

Light, good ventilation, good vision, comes with pinlock and I have never had any issues with it steaming up no matter how hot and sweaty - never tried it the rain.

The only criticism I have is that the quick release cheek pads keep unclipping when I’m putting it on and off.

This issue is made worse as i’m using it exclusively for track days so the helmet is on and off all day giving more opportunities for me to unclip a pad accidentally. The pads don’t just fall out as their are multiple attachment points but it has to be the only thing that would stop me from giving it 5 stars.

5. Is that the carbon one? Would you recommend them? Reading reviews has fried my brain and left me thinking wtf!

6. I think its decent but then again we are all different, stable and comfortable for me, great quality tio

7. Depends on what you're riding! The Sport Modular is for more upright touring, ideal for a Multistrada. Carbon is light, and you can have a drink or cigarette without taking it off. Viz will be restricted if riding a sport bike. Also consider Pinlock compatibility to prevent visor fogging in cold/ wet weather.

8. If the track beckons, be sure to check it has the ACU badge stuck on the back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Schubert have saved my life two times on track, one highsider landing on my head and one time when passing the billboard signes after brake failure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. A strong testament to wearing a good helmet!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Just swapped the visor on my new (to me) Bell helmet.

The attachment mechanism is a large press button on each side.

No more trying to find that tool that is in the bag that I have lost, nor hoping I do not break some fragile plastic lug that renders the helmet unusable.

IMG_2392.JPG

12. That can't be any good,it's way to simple.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. This might be a silly question. But, are there foldable helmets available in the market for bikes?

14. Yes. They're called modular or flip-up helmets. All the big manufacturers make them

• Like Like x 1
  15. Search for "modular" helmet. :)

Lots of good options out there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. In fact, I wasn't aware of the market name of this type of helmets.That's why I referred to it "foldable" helmet. now I can check myself..Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  17. This is one to start looking at:
    https://www.shoei-helmets.com/neotec-ii-features-summary

All the major helmet manufacturers make them but, I'd start with a Shoei and consider other brands from that initial start.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I know there was a time when the Schuberth C3 was the only flip-up that was officially cleared for usage on UK track days, despite not having a Gold Sticker (ACU). Have the other makes caught up yet?

19. Helmet choice is really determined by head shape.

I believe I'm an intermediate oval, so after trying a load of helmets on in the shop a few years back, I found that HJC fitted me perfectly (shark seemed to alter their head shape on the models after the one I had) and I've been with HJC ever since. First on a HJC RPHA 10 and then I bought a HJC RPHA 70, which has intercom recesses, after my Scotland NC500 trip, where I had to cut out the liner with a pen knife to make my intercom comfortable!

20. Yes, head shape matters. I really want to try an AGV helmet but, I'm unable to find any locally (within ~200 miles) to test fit and ensure their shape is compatible with my head shape.

I'm Intermediate Oval and find the Shoei fits me well. They also have great technology so weigh less and wind drag is less at speed IMHO than most 'cheap' brands.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information