1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Which Model Is Best For Track Bike

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Ryan P, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Choose what you're comfortable on , the big bikes can intimidate if you're not that way inclined but the 1299 is a lot friendlier than the 1199. You can definitely go just as fast around a track on the smaller bikes. You don't have the cheat powers on the straights but you'll learn to go faster in the corners and how to get better drive on the exit. Personally I like the big bikes but that's only really because I've always had them and I like the power.

The good thing about the 1299S is that you can turn the active suspension off if you please and it acts just like a normal setup so it's perfect if you want a bike for both road and track. The 1299S is a no brainer win for a road bike. The base model 1299 suspension feels pretty trashy in comparison to the S. I probably would buy the base model 1299 for a dedicated track bike but I would want to get some upgraded suspension and the lightweight wheels immediately if I had the cash as they make a good bit of difference. Nothing wrong with the stock stuff though.
    The 1199 makes an awesome track bike so definitely worth considering as you'd save a lot of cash over the newer bikes.

• Like Like x 3
  2. I found my 899 quite fussy for gearing even around Cadwell, and the lack of slipper clutch bothered me a bit. A 1199 standard model has one as standard and might keep u interested longer. However in my opinion the 899 chassis with its slightly different steering angle and chassis geometry gives much more confidence, probably a little more like an old school Ducati in terms of stability. The 1199 felt really lively!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks for your reply. Budget is not a problem so would you still recommend the 1299s even though I am still a beginner.

I've done about 10 track days in total to date and had some coaching.

4. Hugely depends. Some will find the extra power a hindrance ..

I'll tell you one thing, I'm forever getting held up in the bends by litre+ bikes in the fast group.

I guess money no object you may as well go for the big girl?

5. The 1299s can be a very easy bike to ride too as you can turn all the electronics up
    A pani R is the ultimate, but having only done a few very tentative laps on a friends one, I wouldn't like to say if it's bite back or not, whereas the 1299S can be as brutal or as friendly as you switch it to be depending on the mode

6. Its has modes. If you find it all too much just not it back to 899 power ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. If you are wanting to carry on with trackdays go for the 1299. You can always turn the power down on that if you wish but you cannot add more power to the smaller bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brno is fucking awesome

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sorry only just seen this again. +1 for what Mr C said. Hopefully here ar 1 or 2 photo's. The 899 in Pic 2 is far from standard, better mods than a 959 I feel. Just hope that the new changes make a very good difference.

IMG_3961.JPG

IMG_3954.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  10. If I may say so, I don't agree with people talking about turning the power down. A 1x99 with the power turned down is useless on a track, it's nothing like an 899 or 959. The big bikes need the harder delivery (and to be rode hard) for the geometry to work best, so if you are hesitant or in low power mode then they take longer to turn than on the smaller bikes. I'm not saying it doesn't work as they are still amazing, but the small bike would be the better option if you are considering doing this. In the same way that the smaller bikes would probably be better for a lot of people who don't ride so hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Disagree there Royal. A big bike is better for people who don't ride hard in general. A small bike needs to be thrashed. And that's where the fun for most is :)

But not having ridden an 1199 I can't say what dialling the power down feels like ;)

12. You still cannot turn the power up on an 899 or 959 though.

I can't quite see why you would want to turn the power down unless it was wet but you can do it by pressing a button if you so wish.

13. You can never have too much power, just too much wrist

• Like Like x 1
  14. Personally I'd love an 899/959 with all the lighteness and upgraded bits the 1299s has. But alas, that is not a thing. And wheels and suspension and single sided swing arms cost a lost.

15. I would say how the power is delivered is the most important a wide amount of useable power is my preferred choice, I just can't get on with screamer 4 cylinders , much prefer a twin with steady throttle control, I think that's where Ducati lost is way with the smaller engined panigale and the bigger engined ones to a certain degree , it's almost a cross over engine somewhere between a twin and a il4.

16. Except it's definitely a twin.

17. It's a superquadro engine so it's 4.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Fair point Bradders, I didn't think of it like that. I dont think the 899/959 fall in the same catagory as R6,etc though. They have a fair lump of torque low down in the revs so still work when not thrashed as god intended.

19. I agree, I would prefer my 848 evo engine in the panigale frame with all its usability to my 899 engine. Ive seen the dyno charts and the 899 produces more torque and power but honestly I miss the old twin feeling a bit!

Honestly though for the OP, my 899 around Cadwell was easily quick enough and some, but the more important things for me would be things like needing a slipper clutch, a 959 for me would be the best choice and stick with standard cans because it willsoon be an issue.

Btw that few £k u save can be used for tyres and track fairings etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. I had the pleasure of taking a 1299 out this past weekend at Brands Hatch. OMG!!!! Made my 899 feel like a bicycle. So I am going for a 1299 upgrade. The only question now is wether the money for the S is worth it. What do you think?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information