1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Which Model Of 1200 Multi To Buy?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Dave, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yes, it is. Andy

2. Yes it is. I should have said the 1260 DVT is more like the Twin Spark and better than the 1200 DVT.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. I still have a single spark 2012 1200S Touring and have ridden a few of the newer versions, the single spark is by far the most characterful. Yes, it is lumpy at low revs in high gears, but otherwise it starts with a purr, then it growls and then it howls. Utterly delightful. No issues with the motor, which I have never put a drop of oil in outside of regular servicing, or suspension. Front brake has always been spongy but works fine, but forget the back brake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I've still got my 2010 S and I love it dearly. I find the electronic Ohlins, even without the semi-active upgrade, to be terrific. The engine can be a lumpy bastard when it's in the mood but it FLIES when you open the taps. Got 45K miles on mine now, only one electronics melt-down at 21K. All recalls taken care of and it's going strong (Touch wood!)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Personal experience: I had an original 2010 S and added the Ohlins suspension upgrade (couldn’t tell the difference really). Bike was horribly lumpy when trying to ride in the city so added plug in Sensors to improve the fuelling which made it better, but it made the fuel consumption suffer.

Again I’ve never understood this fascination with the more ‘characterful’ engine...

Front brakes were crappy, rear brake non existent.

That said I still loved the bike, just didn’t know any better.

I’ve found the DVT to be much better and also the 1260. I prefer a smooth power delivery not really bothered by this mysterious ‘character’ everyone raves about.

I just think they are all great bikes, plenty of power, easy to ride and easy to tour on.

6. Same with my old-school 888 and 996 ... that’s just part of what makes a proper Ducati IMHO. These bikes require rider commitment to the relationship ... and then they reward like no other. One needs to put the effort in to learn how they need to be ridden ... like how to keep the revs up and feather the clutch at low speeds, and how to muscle them into a turn at high speeds ... either that or one gives up and goes for one of the more modern models that feel much like a bike from any other manufacturer ;-)

Interestingly, quite a few people have commented that the twin-spark is close to the single in character compared to the DVT so I’m interested to give it a go. This bike looks the kind of thing ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203145589813

A9CDE94A-DB8A-4A2E-A6E4-3939B857E3C3.png

Now I have three to check out, so as soon as I can get test rides hopefully I’ll be doing a trip from Exeter (DVT) to Gloucester (twin-spark) and then on to Cannock (single spark).

7. Yeah, now you mention it, you're right. The brakes are pretty average. I noticed they were MILES better on a base 1260 I was given as a courtesy bike last year.

8. i think the twin spark pikes peak is the one to go for. if you look at the threads over the years it's the model that always seems to be the most liked and i believe was the best specked multi, it's the only one with a red frame and just looks so much better, throw in the marcensini lightweight rims, black handlebars, carbon front and rear mudguards, beak, engine covers, screen and wind deflectors and not forgetting the black lower engine covers, stubby Termi, different seats with red stitching and a pleasing paintwork to finish the package off. I have had mine from new 2013, added the center stand, heated grips and full luggage, really only use for 2 up work and after trying most newer versions of the multi plus various other brands nothing has managed to be a better package for myself and more importantly Mrs tt, yes a blipper would be nice and a normal key would be a bonus and if falls short in a few places but the overall package is pretty bloody good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bit of a late reply. I have a 2012 Multistrada with 18k miles. It has been serviced at least every 5k miles. Disappointed with Ducati to say the least. Neil at Cornerspeed Ducati carried out the repairs by fitting new main bearings. He has been fantastic and would highly recommend.

10. Update to this: I now find myself in the fortunate position of having a 2018 Pikes Peak Multi AND a 2010 S. While the 2018 has WAY better brakes and is smoother and more civilised, the 2010 has noticeably more wallop and feels significantly faster!! Not what I was expecting at all!!

11. Interesting Thread.

I'm on my 1st Ducati and have the 1200DVT which I found a lot more raw than my previous Speed Triple. Doesn't seem to be left wanting for performance either.

I personally prefer the looks of the DVT over previous gens, but now wish that I would have tried a 12/13plate pikes peak 1st after reading this..

Wired how I'm really loving this multi like no other bike, yet now feel like I'm missing out

12. Don't worry, you are not missing out. Every iteration has differences to the last, but they are mainly small detail differences in the overall feel of the bike. The DNA is the same and for every rose tinted reflection there are two improvements.
    Just enjoy your fantastic bike, no need for FOMO :blush:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. I totally agree with simmytt I’ve only had mine since 2019 but it’s going to take a bloody good motorcycle for me to sell my 2013 PP

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information