1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Optimate Charger?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by pauly, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Time to buy a battery charger/maintainer, which model Optimate for a 2015 1299 battery?

2. NOCO Genius 2. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I've used the older one for 10 years with no problems for my ZX6R - except the battery died last month....grr (good value thou), now using the smaller, newer one on my 848. All good so far :)

Opt#2a.jpg Opt#1a.jpg

4. Cambridge Ducati fitted an optimate lead to the battery, so I'm looking for an optimate to plug into that. They seem to start around £35 on ebay. But there's several versions?

5. Try Scumtree - picked up one of the older versions for 25 notes for my sons bike :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. what type connection is on the cable they fitted? SAE or TM? I have a couple optimate 4s going spare. image.jpg

7. I thought Optimate only did a TM connector and you need to get an adaptor lead for TM to SAE. Andy

8. Nah they all seem to have SAE nowadays.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. The link below is to the current range of 12V Optimate chargers (although other makes are available!).

https://www.optimate.co.uk/products?tag=12V Chargers .

I think the current connectors are SAE, but older ones can be TM. Also, adapters are available as mentioned above, so either connector type should do the job.

Good luck.

Tom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SAE 01 is the lead fitted to the battery

11. Thanks Tom. :upyeah:

12. I have cteks are they badder than optimates?

13. If you mean worse, then no. If you mean badder, then yes, they're really, really bad, and the whole world has to answer right now, just to tell you once again, who's bad.

I have a CTEK and it's ace.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. excellent. im bad. my chargers are bad.

15. Optimate 4, can do standard and canbus.

16. Agreed. I bought the Non Genius 5 because with it's 5A capability I can use it for my car as well if I need to.
    These chargers will charge 12-volt Wet Cell, Gel Cell, Enhanced Flooded, Maintenance-Free and Calcium batteries, 12-volt AGM batteries, 12-volt lithium-ion batteries, including lithium iron phosphate and6-volt Wet Cell, Gel Cell, Enhanced Flooded, Maintenance-Free and Calcium batteries. Just about any kind of battery you are likely to meet. A Force mode for charging batteries that are under 1V, and a 12V recovery mode for repairing and restoring, old, idle, damaged, stratified or sulphated batteries.
    They are a similar price to the Optimate but, I think, a far better charger.

• Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information