1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Optimate..?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Stu, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Stu, I recently bought an Oxford Maximizer 3800 (dropped my optimate 3 and broke it) and I suspect the Chinese QA on them may have missed this one as the output voltage is too low and the inbuilt voltage display is inacurate by 1.5-2v, the charge cycle does not cut in until the battery voltage has gone far too low. However it seems to charge the car battery OK on the car setting. I ended up with an Optimate 4 which like the old 3 works really well and I have no concerns. I think you get what you pay for.

#21 Denzil the Ducati, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  2. The advert for optimate says optimate 4 is best for CAN bus systems. Any thoughts?

3. Can the maximiser charge / maintain two bikes at the same time?

4. The maximixer only fits one bike, i think acumen use to do a dual charger

5. Which is great if you have one bike :upyeah:

6. CTEK for me to seem a lot better especially on the modern Oddasy batteries

7. so going on this thread... which CTEK charger?

8. Mine is a MXS 7.0 and if needed i link bikes together and leave 2 or 3 on charge at the same time

as it is a 7.0Amp charger that would leave it able to put 3.3 amps in each battery or as they will only accept what they require 6.o in one and 0.5 in the other two but that would not be for long as connecting the 3 bikes together the batteries would all even out quick as the fuller charged on would help charge the others )

#28 Exsmokingbiker, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  9. MXS 5.0 for me, can use on the bike and car if needed

"The MXS 5.0 offers features such as battery diagnosis that shows if a battery can receive and retain a charge, a special reconditioning function that restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries, unique maintenance charging, a mode for optimised charging during cold winter days and the charging of demanding AGM batteries (i.e. Optima) "

Oh and a 5 year warranty.

Maccaa

10. CTEK MXS 7.0[​IMG]

11. Appreciate all the advice guys, think I'm going to go with a Optimate 4 for now and see how I get on with that, saying that I never had an issue when I had my old Monster on an Optimate 3.

Stu

12. I've been using an ACCUMATE for about 6 years now with no hassles - recently the battery on my truck - a Nissan Elgrand was flattened by an incorrectly shut door keeping interior lights on - and the accumate recovered it totally within 36 hours.

I keep my duke on it permanently when not in use - I can recommend them at least - But I do like the look of the Oximiser 900 just for the amp and voltage readout so you can see what the battery is actually doing...

13. Stu, go with one that is designed for bikes. One or two of the recommendations above are good chargers but not entirely suitable for conventional bike batteries. The industry rule of thumb for lead acid (wet or most AGMs) is that the charge amperage should be around 10% of the rated Ah of the battery, although Odyssey specify a much higher minimum rate. You need to check out the spec of your battery and the charger you are thinking of buying. One of the reasons bike batteries wear out so quickly is the chargers used on them have far too high outputs (both Amperage or Voltage), they will charge the battery well enough whilst gradually killing it. It is easily possible to get 5-8 years out of a good quality bike battery, this is only likely if you maintain them correctly with a correctly matched charger

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bike magazine are giving away an Oxford Oximiser 900 with a years sub this month

15. Well I think its out of the Optimate 4 or the Oxford Oximiser 900 ... only difference really I can see is a price difference having found the Oxford Oximiser 900 for around £35 new as opposed to the Optimate being around £50.

Stu

16. Right I think after looking around and speaking to a few people yesterday I'm going to go for a CTEK charger instead of either the Optimate or Oxford Oximiser.

My question is, am I able to connect this to my battery terminals without disconnecting the battery (I've not had the faring panels off yet to have a look, been too busy riding since picking it up yesterday).

Reason I ask this is the bike has a Datatool S4 alarm and immobiliser and it would just save any potential issues with that disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery and something going wrong although I have the code card etc.

Thanks all
    Stu

17. CTEK for me too - hate Oxford products they're shit

18. Stu,

They come with a lead that stays connected to the battery, it has a watertight cap, you can then just connect up to this lead through the "hole" in the fairing by your left knee when you get back from your ride.

So you will only have to disconnect the battery the once to fit the lead.

Maccaa

Do Not Sell My Personal Information