1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Tyre Pressure Gauges Are Most Accurate?

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Freerange_egg, Sep 17, 2020.

1. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-of-t...e-pressure-gauges-on-the-market-/184091223967

https://www.bestreviewer.co.uk/top-10-best-tyre-pressure-gauges/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. That’s the one. Yes £6.99 posted.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. In fact the other day at one of my other brothers place I checked the Monster tyre pressures. His house is 500m above sea level. I went with 33psi in the front and 36psi in the rear. All day I didn’t feel happy.

So I checked with an online calculator pressure at 500m altitude and the ambient temperature and it revealed that I should be putting 2psi less in at 500m high. Out came the little digital pressure gauge and I dropped it a mere 2lbs front and back. Result was the bike felt far more sure footed.

Result, a happy days ride.

You pay your money and take your choice. These things work for me. One thing I’d never do is rely on a garage forecourt pressure gauge.

4. It matters at track days, especially if you use race slicks. They seem to be very sensitive to air/track temperature changes and even if you don't notice the performance change, you will notice the change in wear pattern.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I don’t get hung up on accuracy.

Accuracy can take second place to consistency provided that you use the same gauge all the time and it is consistent.

Air temperature, air pressure, humidity, global location all impact upon readings.

Get an accurate gauge for sure. But it’s important to see what pressures work best for you and note the readings.
    Use them as a baseline and don’t rely on tyre manufacturers recommended pressures, they quote the same pressure for the tyre despite what the bike is, where it is, and what altitude it’s at.

Obviously accuracy is the pinnacle, but only if the target pressure is the right one for you in the first place.

#25 Oldrat, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. I use exactly the same digital gauge, just branded different. Same design, screen in the same place, power button in the same place, etc. I think mine's Draper.

When you use the PSI reading on it, it does 0.5 increments, but the Bar reading does 0.1 increments, so for a more accurate pressure, you could use Bar instead of PSI.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. 1bar =14 psi so in your example using bar is less precise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 14.5038 for more accuracy..... :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Used Venhill the last 10 years. Plus it’s a RIDE magazine Best Buy! FD803A74-F50B-47EB-92DF-71319DC91BA2.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. But would you buy a tyre pressure gauge from a brake line company which can’t spell brake? :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Just ordered. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cool, hope you’re happy with it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. That’s interesting. These gauges are increments of 0.1 psi. They do PSI, Bar and a couple of other scales that I’m not familiar with so I don’t use.

The Draper ones are supposed to be good as well though.

14. Flaig air pressure gauge

15. £6.99? Posted? It’ll be shite.

16. Ok, to you 15 quid. That way it’s reassuringly expensive.
    They work. I’ve been using them for a while.

I did buy a little yellow digital gauge like this. Now that was shite, it packed up after not very long at all.

C929F166-86F9-4910-BA25-303A7E25DF0D.png

#36 Sam1199, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  17. Got to be more accurate then my old one. I bought this digital one so I can compare them. I’m guessing the 20 or 30 year old pen type one won’t be too accurate but it fits perfectly in the tool kit.

D68E5A33-5C31-4910-9616-7F68B9CFDBB1.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  18. I would buy a foot pump with a removable gauge, and invest in a good quality pressure gauge 0 - 100psi

19. I have one of these, but find that it's really tricky to get it onto the valve without losing a load of air in the process - you seem to have to get it to go on square, and actually it is a PITA. I use my pump which has a gauge then take that off check accuracy with the Draper, lose a load of air and then restart the process. Maybe the little rubber seal needs some lube, maybe I need help :confused: (captain clumsy!)?

20. Be aware that the valve-cap sensors will foul the brake calipers both front and back if fitted to a vertical valve stem on the rear and a 90deg stem facing outwards at a right angle on the front. Guess how I know.
    You'll need a 90 deg on the rear angled in to the centre of the rim (mines at 45deg and OK) and the front wheel 90deg also needs to be angled in towards the centre line of the wheel. Not done the front yet, that will come next tyre change.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information