1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who could make me a replacement brake disc??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 470four, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Hi all

(Having a senior moment...)

I remember reading in a bike magazine lately an advert for a company that can make ANY replacement brake disc... At the time I didnt relate this to an ongoing problem with my beloved Yosh 400/4 - the engine is now a LOT faster than the brakes...

Wishing to keep a standard front-end, a large part of the problem is the stainless brake disc - too hard to work effectively if at all? Im thinking a custom cast-iron disc could make the thing stop & induce an interest in riding the bike again. :biggrin:

Anyone? :frown:

2. I thought it was All Bike Engineering? ABE

3. You were right, they'll make brake discs for pretty much any bike.

4. We have dealt with ISR for a number of years....while their products are first class they are dreadfully slow to deal with....... and expensive too.....but todays high carbon stainless discs should be perfect....what is the problem with yours 470 ? Maybe you arent using the correct pads? I wouldnt use Stealth discs if my life depended on them.......

5. 400/4's arent known for having good brakes. :wink: Have had the bike for 22 years, tried a different master cylinder, FIVE different type's of pads - the front brake is in typical '70's fashion an ornament, nothing more...

Stealth went bust a while back, apparently under new ownership? Their previous reviews werent great...

Standard Four disc is a strange diameter - nearest I could get to it was a Guzzi Brembo disc? Will see if I can get into the garage and get some measurements... :)

6. #10 470four, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  7. I've not tried them on a Ducati, however my Honda Bros with it's large single front disc is prone to warping it (particularly if you don't strip down the caliper each Spring).

However the ABE disc I bought about 6 years ago has lasted better than any other (OE, EBC). I recommend them.

8. Well what are the disc bolt pcd's? I have a wide range of wave discs...maybe we could graft a rotor onto your carrier?

9. Ummmmmm disc diameter is 260mm, PCD is 76mm. :smile:

Was thinking this afternoon if it was plausible to have a cast iron rotor machined up to re-rivet onto the original carrier??

Here's a pic of the Jap Brembo conversion... will get the PCD to you asap but as you can see its a four-bolter... easily overcome as they have by using as existing pair of holes then drilling two new ones to suit?

[​IMG]

The standard discs are 6-7mm thick, almost a car disc - did have a drilled one on there but upgraded to a wavy... The standard solid discs are LETHAL in the wet - almost an extra throttle?? :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Figaro - after a few random years of the single life and a crap front brake I now have a right forearm like Popeye. Makes no difference. :upyeah:

11. What is the disc offset ? 260mm is very small, you could have a 320mm and adapt the caliper bracket ?

12. You've got two options: Brembos or death grip. Girling did a conversion back in the day that was well worth having, but you'll not find a set of them unless you're really lucky. If I were you I'd be looking at changing the master cylinder to try to get more force behind the pistons.

13. Already running a modern master cylinder - more solid feel but now wooden - have no doubt it is pushing the pads in but they can only grip so much? It has a hinged caliper bracket with a single - piston caliper, will dig the bike out and get some pics...

Nog - will see if I can measure the offset later, bike is under cover in the garage. :smile: The only other 260mm discs I have found were the Guzzi Brembo ones and they look to have a very deep offset? Could see about a different pivot/320mm discs though... will investigate. :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information