1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whos Done The Swing Arm Pivot Shaft Lately?

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by chizel, Aug 15, 2016.

1. 2001-sbk748r_119.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. That diagram is rather convoluted, so maybe I'm reading it wrongly but it seems to suggest that the bearings do run on the pin. Wouldn't brass be rather soft for needle bearings to run on, surely it would soon become indented...

3. It runs on the bushes shown, don't think they are brass though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. So greasing the pin does nothing for the bearings...

5. Stops the pin ceasing on the bushes and spacers.

6. I think #34 will go all the way through both #21's and #20's. And nothing in here should actually spin, just go up and down a bit.

Unless i'm WAY of the mark...........:Nailbiting:

7. You're right Creamy it goes all the way through and locates in the frame, the only thing moving are the rollers in the bearings which rotate slightly :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The pin normally rusts between the bushes, inside the engine cases, stopping it from passing through the bushes.
    I said brass bushes in an earlier post ( lazy) should have said bronze of some kind.

Steve

9. Looking at the pic what is 29,30?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Or even seizing... ;)

12. That makes sense. Brass is soft and bronze is hard.

13. Could the bungs provide access to grease the rollers??

14. don't think so, there is f all space between swing arm and engine so the bungs are nearly inaccessible. In fact I forgot to fit em before fitting swing arm and had a devil of a job getting the bungs in after. Soaked in hot water and grazed knuckle

15. There's no access to the bearings through the bungs, I wondered whether they were anything to do with the casting process, otherwise I haven't a clue.
    Steve

16. 33 and 34 were fused so hard to the shaft , that after I cut the swing arm off, I put the top hat in the vice and smashed what was left of the shaft with a fuck off hammer and It didn't budge. Still have the left overs somewhere, will pop a pic up one day

17. yep I believe it's to do with the casting

18. Ceasing to be free :D

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. My 916 was siezed on 21 & 33 years ago. What a pig it was to remove. I remember hitting the shaft from one side and the LHS frame flexing every time I did.

20. So maybe Copaslip isn't such a bad idea. Combined with frequent tapping out or at least somewhat through, in the case of the 999 and the avoidance of salt.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information