1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's Gone From A 1098/1198 To An 899?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Snaps, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Shakeys dad ?? As in Shane's dad

2. See threads like this really interest me because when I had my 899 on road it felt like there was more than enough power for that theatre and the track.
    Can everyone actually utilise the full spunk of these beasts because I'm pretty sure any of the sub thou V twins when ridden properly can do hugely impressive laptimes compared to the bigger bikes.
    Another reason why I'm getting a V2, I think I'd only be using a small percentage of the V4.
    Or maybe I'm just crap, could quite possibly be that.

3. No, my sons nickname is shakey, his name is jake and when he was young there was a milkshake called shakeyjakes

4. Brilliant lol

5. why exactly?

6. i believe you have stolen Bradders's line there..:rolleyes:

7. which Ducati isnt crap as a std set up.....?
    its well documented that ducati made the 1098 to look pretty then realised when it was set to the right numbers the seat was to high!
    In order to fit the 1098 to the umpalumpas they cooked up the geometry as std.

There is no reason why the 1098 1198 even the 848 cant be the same geometry as a 748 998 749 999...classic ducati set up numbers... and who wouldn't personalise their set up to themselves or at least get a professional to do it for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Well, I can spank an 899 to its limits on the road. So something in that.
    Because it will : unamused: unless you spend a fortune on suspension :scream: not sure how that can be made clearer really

9. Might as well get a Aprillia 125 then im sure you can spank that to high heaven....as always you are saying the restricting factor is the rider cock all to do with the quality of the bike!

Geometry wise that is bollox.......and even the quality of the std fitment items eg ohlins and so on, its still bollox!

10. A road bike needs to be able to touch 150.
    IME an 848, with ohlins all round and set for track, handled well and would turn easy, but it took lots of cash and setting up by an expert. Not me. The standard bike was tough to turn and chicanes/s bends on road a nightmare at speed.

I jumped on an 899, and the way it changed direction and would turn was amazing with standards suspension.

#30 bradders, Dec 25, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. happy christmas bradders.;):upyeah::D

• Like Like x 1
  12. That's been similar to my own experiences 748-998 and 848-1198 were lumps on track and stable on the road with standard suspension, even when lightly tweaked to the riders weight etc. If you wanted them turn nicely on the track then get your wallet out! Not saying it's a bad thing, just something to consider if you want to buy one for track days or period racing.
    However, I have found the Panis to be pretty damn good out box. I've ridden both with stock suspension and K-tech.
    Smaller bikes have less power than big bikes.....Hardly a surprise. Choose what's right for you and your needs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ducatis stick to pretty much their same old trodden path.

I was intrigued so i looked up the new V2 on the Ducati.com site. low and behold same old same old.

V2 ... 24 degree rake, 1436 wheel base, 95mm trail, 43mm Showa forks, 52/48 weight distribution..

1198.. 24 degree rake, 1430 wheel base, 96mm trail, 43mm showa/ohlins, 52/48 weight distribution.

i could add in a 1994 748 and it wouldn't be that much different.

yes you could put better yokes on both to increase the trail (ALL classic Ducatis suffer with a lack of trail) an adjustment and longer chain would equal the wheel base though i accept the swing arm length and angle would be better on the V2, forks you could go where you want, and the weight distribution could be played with.

in essence not a lot has changed including both and or all of them ability to feed back a good ride.

14. But yes itsjust shows, it’s not all in the stats.

have you ridden a standard 1198 or similar and a pani pretty close to each other?

Funny how everyone since the pani was born who’s ridden one and reported on it says the same: it’s 600 jap-like in its sharpness compared to the barge-like older bikes. Unless everyone is wrong : unamused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. it is very much in the stats as the stats are the set up of the bike...:thinkingface:

yes i have...:upyeah:

everyone...;)

16. 202CE573-8B62-4379-BD5C-ABC9731BBF35.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. My 1198 was alot of setting up to get to handle well bit I got there in the end. It's funny as the best handling bike I have is a nitron shod gsxr k2 1000, that thing is on rails.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hi all I went from a 1199s to a 1200s pp multistrada does that count ?
    I loved my 1199s it seemed to command a big presence on the road but multistrada is a lot more fun

• Like Like x 1
  19. I have a 998s 999s 1098s and a 1299s the difference from the 998s to the 1299s is night and day, its less so from the 1098 to pani 1299 but still feel very different , when I get a summers day I often ride them back to back the 998 is beauty but its pig iron compared to the 1299 , sorry but I have to apologize to my 998 now as I do love her :D

• Like Like x 3
  20. Can’t be true mate. Geometry says so :p

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information