1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why So Many Owners On Low Mileage Bikes?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Snaps, Jan 5, 2020.

1. He had a Hyper 821 but found it too tall.

2. I have a pal who has had his ninja for 9 years and done around 1500mls altogether and a Harley that's done less than 500 in 3 years. Seems a waste to me. Some guys like to have bikes for bragging rights. My 1199 had 6000mls at 6 years with 4 owners. I've had it coming on 18months and done 5500mls. Ride em or polish em...

3. When I bought my 848 Evo Corse one of my neighbours liked it so much he bought an 848 but with a special paint job.

Months later I saw him and asked him why I’d not seen him out on it and he replied that he’d be happy just doing 150 miles a year on it............I told him I’d do that regularly on a Sunday afternoon no bother.

4. I used to get a bit irritated by people that bought bikes and then just left them in the garage, but then I realised that it’s got bugger all to do with me how others use their bikes and that they do those of us that like to ride a service by providing a pool of bikes in showroom condition at a huge discount, more power to them I say! :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. Doesn't matter if a bike with 5k miles has 1 owner or 5. Whats the difference, the bikes done the same amount of mileage.

If anyone trys to knock you down for amount of owners just ask the prat why the vehicle is worth any less. There is no justifiable answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. There is more chance that someone has ragged it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Yeah that argument may have some weight when your 17 looking for your first hatchback but if your in the market for a superbike and your worried 'if it's been ragged' then I don't really know what to say.
    There are people on here that have had their Panigale' from day one and every mile is an absolute shagging due to track use. These bikes when sold will be sold back in road trim.
    There are also many on here that have bought bikes, had them for a thou miles then quickly sold them on and they probably would have travelled at similar speeds on push bikes.
    I respectfully think your argument lacks any weight behind it.

8. What I’m saying is that there is more chance of it being ragged by one person in five, than if it’s been owned by one. It’s more of a lottery.

By the same token your argument has no substance to it either. :)

9. Aye fair one, but would you also agree we're at a stage now in this mechanical age where a motorcycle being 'ragged' or 'being ridden properly' is actually fine and not riding a motorcycle throughout its rev range can actually be more of a danger?

10. When I say “ragged” I’m not just talking about it being ridden fast. I’m talking about it not being looked after......fluids, brake pads etc etc

• Like Like x 1
  11. My 765RS Street Triple was 16 months old when I got it. One owner from new, not an ex demo (which I always avoid as they have a higher chance of being abused with high revs on cold engines etc). 124 miles recorded. Bike as specced was £11250. I paid the dealer £8000 dead. Long may the low mileage trend continue.

I got her in October and it now has 750 miles on it. Does not look so brand new now, but not far off.

• Like Like x 3
  12. You animal :bucktooth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Probably the perfect deal for the perfect road bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I often wonder why people are put off by higher millage bikes. Not riding the bike you own is like not shagging your mrs to save her pussy for the next bloke!

I doubt very much the bike manufacturers spent so much on R&D for a strong engine and only expect it to do 50K!!
    buy them, ride them, enjoy them and keep them serviced clean and maintained.

Personally Id take a bike with 15K on it at 3 years, showing a FSH and regular maintenance over one that's done 1K over the same time and sat laid up for most its life.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Agreed but only if the price reflected it

16. You should take a look at MV F4's! When I had my last MV I used to take it in for its annual service and there would be F4's in there that had been trailered down to the dealers to have their annual service done and then trailered home and wheeled back into the owners office/entrance hall/dining room until next year!

Mind you if I'd paid £20k+ for the bike and then another £20-40k for a fancy limited edition paint job, I wouldn't want to get it dirty either :joy:

• Useful Useful x 2
  17. I personally like low owners/mileage motorcycles but i wouldn't dismiss it without a viewing,and you never know it might just be the perfect bike package for you.

18. I do too -especially if they are low price as well! And they are always around, you just need a little patience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I got an email from a colleague this morning, he’d been to a NY party and the host showed him his collection of sports bikes 2 repsol liveried Fireblades and 4 other bikes GSXR’s and the like, all in race livery, all zero miles, he also had 15 unused Arai helmets on display, my colleague asked how many miles he did a year on bikes, he said “oh none, I just like to look at them”, , a few bargains in storage there then!

20. I didn't know @Exige had a place in NY.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information