1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why So Many Owners On Low Mileage Bikes?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Snaps, Jan 5, 2020.

1. It is quite obvious it's not mine - no Honda's allowed :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. I'll get rid of mine as a 1 owner bike at 3-4 years old with around 10k on the clock, most of the miles on track getting death.
    But I maintain it properly and warm it up before giving it the beans, rather than someone giving it a pasting from cold and causing way more damage. they are designed for a bit of abuse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. And someone else -can't remember who!- has a big collection of helmets in a rack on display too.

4. @hyperdildo seems to have a lot of Rubber Helmets :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. They don’t ride there bikes because they are not bikers but investers.
    And think that there bike will loose money if they ride them.

Henk!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Each to their own but I buy a bike to ride. I bought my Monster 1200 R in March 2017 and I've put 11500 miles on it.

• Like Like x 5
  7. I have had two 1098s's, the first one was 3 years old with 3,600 miles on the clock and had 12,400 on it when it was stolen. My current 1098s had just under 6,000 miles on the clock when i bought it, it has 25,380 as i type.
    Some of us do buy bikes to ride and not just to look at or as a so called investment. I can't imagine any reason why i would want to sell mine, i just love riding it too much to part with it :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. I was asking a KTM dealer about this regards RC8 a while back, their view was people buy high power sports bikes as they look good but tend to scare themselves and often uncomfortable so end up not riding them much.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. The weather over the last 18months hasn't encouraged fair weather (me) riders to spend all their free time out & about.

10. In relation to your question about why is there so many low mileage models. I had the same when looking to buy a 916. It was back in 2006 and they ranged from 2/3k to mine which i bought with 13k. Its parked up at the moment with 55k. I had a blog detailing the work and things that happened. In memory the only issues were a flat battery and clutch nut that came undone. I fixed this roadside and torqued it up to the correct spec that evening. Putting it together in a rush is never a good thing. If you buy a bike its more about how its looked after. Also when its started. My engine failed the main bearings, when the mechanic stripped it he commented that my top end was the best he had seen in comparison to many bikes. I used various oils from 10/30 to the shell 15/40. The way i started it was important as i left it on tickover while i put my gloves on and gently rode it until warm when I could open it up. It put many smiles on my face and it shows its more about how you treat, service the bike then looking at miles. It does make it difficult with more owners as a problematic bike will change more owners. Vinnychoff

• Like Like x 2
  11. My ST4 has a flashing 'LO' temp light until it hits 45 degC - takes about 90 seconds to hit this and I almost always wait for this before moving off - just about to find out what my 12,000 mile clearances are like :upyeah:

12. Thread title: Why So Many Owners On Low Mileage Bikes?
    That's a good question I ask myself also. Various reasons I suppose.

I ride on at least 10,000 miles per season (defined as 6~7 months).
    Bikes are made to be ridden like wine is made to be drunken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. A lot of owners with low mileage - I'd be thinking is it a pup that they've wanted to move on. Only exception would be a collectors special, but I wouldn't be buying one of them anyway.

I'd much rather have a bike that's been used regularly...kept the parts and fluids moving and the seals moist. Can't beat a moist seal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. What about an otters pocket :thinkingface:

15. The wetter the better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Why So Many Owners On Low Mileage Bikes?.....has the option where the person through emotional or physical conditions, is no longer able to ride but just cannot bare not to have a bike in their life in some form?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Is it a reflection of the low interest rates on savings that you may as well buy something you like, even if you don’t really need it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. YES, yes and yes again. Plus, you cant take it with you. And, speaking personally, I have a motorcycle disease. I have to swap em out, cant help myself.

• Like Like x 2
  19. the disease is worse when you keep them and find it impossible to sell oneo_O

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. That's pretty sad and genuflecting to the central bankers wishes. Why not stick-it to them and buy gold coins?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information