1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pikes Peak Wind Noise

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Daddy2coull, Jun 13, 2018.

1. oh, i also took off the sat nav bracket and tank ring for the tests

2. It's okay but not really much of an improvement on the stock. I haven't tried it with the spacers yet though. IMO any screen is always going to be a compromise. I believe its a combination of the best height for the riders height, combined with the angle of the screen. I think if you get the right combination of those two factors you are going to get the best result. Trouble is I haven't found it yet:confused: From my previous experience - when I can open my visor at motorway speeds without crying my eyes out I will know It's probably the best I am going to get it.

3. so is your problem noise or just wind/buffeting?

4. I don't really get what I would term as buffeting, its the loud wind noise/blast I am trying to reduce.
    I know it's achievable, as I mentioned earlier I had the exact same problem with my last bike and eventually got it to an acceptable(for me) level

• Like Like x 1
  5. I had the eagle screen wind deflectors on my previous 2010 Multi, that fitting to the side of the screen, they definitely made a difference, but the design on the DVT onwards is different and it doesn't look like they do something for the later bikes

Wind d2.png

6. That might make a difference. I may blue peter some on the bike this evening.

7. Interesting comment. On my multi I have tried 3 screen options and then tried everything from the lowest height setting to the highest. The best option for me is a short MRA screen on the lowest setting . I dont get any buffering but the wind noise is still terrible. Bad enough to make me think of selling the bike for sure. On my way in to work this morning I thought of the post above and silly though this may sound I put my left hand on my right shoulder and tucked the inside of my elbow under my chin . Bingo, wind noise dramatically reduced . I think @duke63 is right and a neck warmer or snood type thing may well do the trick. Got to be worth a go and most of us already have these so no extra expense. I`ve not had my multi long and it has been warm enough the whole time that I have not used a neck warmer so looking forward to my ride home from work this evening to check.

8. Trouble is I don’t believe there is a single cure. But I’m test riding a v storm tomorrow :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I agree with you and if I cant get mine to a level I find acceptable I`ll sell it . Luckily I bought it privatley secondhand so I should not suffer too much financially. I`m planning a 100 odd mile ride on sunday and at present my 14 year old Monster S4R will be the bike I choose over the multi as it will be less noisy and less tiring. And much nicer to look at too.

10. When you bought the mra Barolo was it supplied with its own fixing kit or did you have to use the originals for the bike? I only ask as my bike came with the PP Carbon screen and just has three regular screws

11. I bought it second hand on here so I cant say for sure what it originally came with but when I received it there were longer screws included.

12. TBH if you want a bike with no wind noise or buffering then you need a Gold Wing or similar. There are too many variables involved to solve the problem on other bikes. Even a change of jacket can make the wind noise differ.

Ear plugs are a necessity if you still want to hear later in life.

13. I can’t get on with earplugs especially on a long journey. I used to ride naked bike do wind noise doesn’t bother me. But the multi makes an awful noise!!

14. I started to suffer from hearing loss a couple of years ago, and was really worried (left ear pretty much shot). I did a lot of research and in essence every situation is different because of the differing frequencies (bike/screen/helmet combo) You can buy plugs that have a high SNR rating, but 'let through' certain frequencies. I was using a HJC helmet at the time, and purchased a Shuberth S2 as it was considered one of the quietest helmets, what was interesting was that it seemed louder than the HJC (obviously at some certain frequency level), but in combination with Howard Leight MAX snr37 plugs the overall result was good. I did try a lot of differing plugs to get to these ones, and what is interesting to note is that they definitely degrade over time...so you need a big box of 100!!

Not really definitive advice, but just work your way through the combinations till something works.
    Good Luck
    Grant

• Like Like x 1
  15. Buy the softest ear plugs and you don't know they are there.

Riding a bike without them means you will suffer hearing loss later in life.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. I have worn earplugs for the last 20 yrs at least on bikes. Still lost some hearing.

17. No earplugs :astonished: Wow
    There are so many types on the market now, so should be able to find something that works ?
    Obviously personal choice, but my hearing is too precious to lose. No going back once it’s gone

I’ve heard of people topping themselves when the Tinnitus gets to a certain level. Drives you mad o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I don't ride without earplugs anymore, my Superduke is loud as have been most bikes but the ear plugs are to remove wind noise only

19. Yep it’s the wind noise that’s the killer
    The bike noise will be waaaay behind you on a Superduke :):upyeah:

20. B316D73B-FB14-4A51-83AE-BC402CECB295.jpeg B316D73B-FB14-4A51-83AE-BC402CECB295.jpeg 6CB4E855-0699-48D5-86D8-E0980C418C32.jpeg Spacers arrived on Saturday. These are the ones for a standard screen so there is some scope for modification. First service tomorrow and they are sorting out the kit that raises the riders seat foc as I didn’t get one. I’ll be over the moon when I can just reduce it to regular wind noise.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information