1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pikes Peak Wind Noise

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Daddy2coull, Jun 13, 2018.

1. You tried this one yet ? Might be the answer ??

B698D64F-B1B4-49F2-B65D-A1EF7CC1AC3C.jpeg

Stolen from Random Pic Thread :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  2. if it works i'll use it

3. At 6'2 and seat high the OEM screen would buffet me right in the forehead. A Puig double bubble resolved this, but only when set down. Wind noise at speeds of 100km or greater where worse when wearing Arai Corsair V (sport bike helmet), okay with Shoei NXR and best with Shoei GT Air, which has a smaller head aperture due to the neck curtain. Tapered disposable ear plugs prove less effective than the moldable swimmers putty type. I'm about to invest in a set of custom made ear plugs, essential imho. I'm also going to try the new AGV Sport Modular helmet which looks more aerodynamic, and being all carbon, is a lot lighter than the Shoei and Schuberth offerings. I've previous avoided modular helmets because of the associated turbulence/noise compromises.
    https://www.agv.com/gb_en/sport-modular/

4. Screen spacers didn’t work with the PP carbon screen. Wind noise is just as bad!!

5. If you are not going to use ear plugs then you are wasting your time IMHO.

No bike will ever be quiet, some are better than others but you are propelling a vehicle through the air at anything up to 70mph ( :thinkingface:) so there will be wind noise and turbulence regardless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. At 6ft 3 the same issue and same resolution. What I did find not so much on the noise but the buffeting, was an issue with an arai tour x with the peak on over 85mph. I tried an mra screen (the touring one with the extra bit at the top) and found whilst it worked a little bit better, I was a tart and didn't like the look. Taking the peak off the arai reduced the buffeting till around 95mph

7. Thanks for your opinion. But, we’ve already established that if I get out of the direct blast from the screen the wind falls almost silent. I’m just trying to find the sweet spot through various screens and settings . If I can ride naked bikes without a problem something like a multistrada should be at least as good. I’ve now ridden v strom, super Tenere, triumph tiger and gs adventure all with my tour x all without this deafening noise. I shouldn’t have to wear earplugs that stop every noise as I don’t believe that’s safe. I will say it again, im not expecting it to be Audi quiet. Im expecting it to be safe to use and riding in silence imho isn’t safe. I can’t hear the engine so checking the Rev counter and gear indicator and can’t hear my horn if I sound it let alone anyone else’s.

#67 Daddy2coull, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  8. It’s not buffering and I’ve tried with and without the peak and it made no difference. I’ve also tried various full face helmets and none improved the noise. It’s a shame I can’t record it to demonstrate its not regular wind noise.

9. I friend of mine had similar problem With a Yamaha Faser 600.
    He tried all kind of screens, one higher than the other.
    The main problem here is turbulence, the higher and steeper it becomes, the worse it will be.
    Also keep in mind that non aerodynamic Mirror causes a lot of turbulence.
    I'm riding a 748 SPS, my friend tried it and was shocked about how silent it was (when i comes to Wind noise/turbulence).
    If you look at the shape of it from the side, it's sleek, and the Wind hits you in the chest.
    You can try and run Your bike without the windscreen, and you will probably have the same experience. The try and hold Your hand in front of you, varying the distance from Your face and you will at some point have the turbulence.
    Try and find a windscreen With similar shape as the superbikes have.

10. Good news at last. I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve fitted the mra vario screen and the noise is reduced dramatically with my tour x. At the moment I’ve had to fit it using the spacers from the multistrada group on Facebook as it fouls my Sat Nav. There’s still some tweaking to be done as I’d fitted the seat risers at the same time so I’d like to try it without them. I’d also like to try the seat risers with the PP carbon screen.

If anyone reads this in the future and is thinking of fitting the mra on a PP. contrary to what the supplier thought. You do not need a fixing kit from a standard Ducati screen. All fixings are supplies.

The only downside of the mra vario screen, imho it looks pants but on long journeys at least, I can live with that!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Do you have any pics?

12. not a very good pic, i'll take some more tomorrow

13. Just ordered mra vario. Might just do the job as having same problems. Tried puig tall screen but took it off. Too tall. Fingers crossed.

14. as i said, my sat nav fouled the vario

15. Yes read that. Is it an easy fix. As I have navihalter too

16. i have these fitted 1TX%BrK7QNqftdFABHSAaw.jpg

17. but i could have probably just moved the navihalter bracket down one hole

18. Decent ear plugs don't stop every noise.

I hope you find an answer. Good luck.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information