1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pikes Peak Wind Noise

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Daddy2coull, Jun 13, 2018.

1. I think screens need to be lower for quietness. My Guzzi Spada was NOISY above 80. My current Monster 1200 has the sport flyscreen and is only noisy over 105 (obviously not miles per hour officer!).
    Helmets are a Shoei Neotect and now a Schuberth c3 pro.

2. Having tried a number of screen and spacer set ups I've now got the exact same set up as you. At first I could just get the MRA screen on without fouling my sat nav too much, so I gave it a try and it was a slight improvement, I then fitted the spacers in order to properly clear the sat nav and it is now definitely the best result so far, and I suspect it may be the best I will achieve? And I hate ear plugs. My theory is that when I'm deaf enough I wont hear any wind noise anyway:thinkingface:

3. Mmm, I’m not loving the look, but if it works....?

4. I'm not a big fan of the looks either but it does look better in the flesh. 20180602_154511.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. out of interest, how tall are you mr g.hog?

6. Good question, can make all the difference. I'm 5ft 10in

7. i'm 5'9" so not a huge amount in it. i've just been out to take the seat risers out. i'll see if that makes any difference in the morning

• Like Like x 1
  8. Here's a front view of mine 20180604_112005.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. I've only had a short ride since I put on the spacers. Will have a longer one tomorrow and get back with how it goes. Incidentally I put an extra half inch spacer and longer bolt on the bottom fitting of the screen to angle it a little more. I know on my last bike angling the screen seemed to have a positive effect. It's so bl**dy trial and error on screens and never a perfect result:weary_face:

10. [​IMG]

They still look like it was styled by someone who spent too long playing Angry Birds :D

11. :zzz:

12. Well fitting ear plugs will resolve more than any of these other fixes. Don't under-estimate the damage to your hearing riding without them will incur. Yes, there is a learning curve but one well worth taking imho. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I too am suffering from wind noise. I've tried all the different possible permutations using the standard screen, puig shorty and puig touring - which is about 3 inches taller than standard screen. I've also got the adjustable palmer products screen holder which pushes the screen forward and lets you adjust the tilt. Oh and the Wunderlich screen extender. I'm using a C3Pro and moulded ear plugs and stand at 6'1.

I found that the taller screens didn't make that much difference - in fact with the puig touring on the upper setting I was looking through the screen. Anything over about 65mph and there's a constant feckin droning, I took my other bike out over the weekend - Daytona 600 where the wind hits me in the chest and it is clean air in my face and the difference in noise was very noticeable.

I took the Duke out and waved my hands around and I found that most of the dirty air that is making the wind noise isn't coming over the top of the screen but around the side. Talking with a GS rider he found the same and bought some side wind deflectors from an aftermarket BMW supplier which he found helped a lot.

So the question I have is has anyone also found that it is the wind around the side of the screen that is causing the problem and if so have you come across any wind deflectors for sale that will fit the Multi. I'm going to try putting the Wunderlich on the side later on (even if I only have one it should give me an idea whether there is an improvement) and then maybe experiment making my screen wider temporarily

Also - Daddy2coull - apart from a load of gaffa, what did you use to build your 'Blue Peter' extensions to your screen.

14. On my earlier Multi I had Eagle screen wind deflectors that fitted to the side of the nose fairing (posted pic earlier in thread) with a puig shortey screen. This was the best combo that worked for me

However im now on a 1260 and the wind noise is much worse, but I cant see that anyone does wind deflectors for this model or even the previous DVT

But I do tend to agree the wind noise I think is coming from the sides of the screen

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I used a plastic bottle similar to an old fairy liquid bottle. I tried various shspes and attached them with gaffa tape. I tried 3 different versions but none really seemed to make any difference. I’d like to have a look at some on a gs adventure and try to emulate the design.

16. Had a decent ride with this set up today. I think it's as good as I'm going to get it, or maybe as much as I can be bothered to keep trying:( I've got the 1260 as good as my old Super Tenere which had side 'winglets' but on that too it seemed the angle was most important as opposed to height. Now, with the MRA the least noise is two settings down from the top which to me suggests height is not necessarily the issue.

Incidentally they replaced my clutch slave cylinder, which I had no problem with, so maybe that is going to be a recall? And they also did an update to the fuel mapping. The bike felt a little smoother on the way home, but it may have been my imagination??

#96 Groundhog, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  17. I had really bad wind buffeting on my Multi - it was a struggle to hear music in my C3 at motorway speeds.

By placing a free hand at the top and sides, it was evident that the air was coming in over the top, so I bought a Puig extender and now I have to turn the music down. The ride is much more comfortable.

I’m 183 cm and usually ride with the top box on. (Uncool, but that can make a difference)

18. What screen have you used the Puig Extender with? I've tried the Wunderlich with the standard screen and for me it made no difference at all

For me, also about 6'1 with a C3pro, I find the wind is coming from the sides not over the top

Has anyone tried taking the mirrors off to reduce the noise of the dirty air around the helmet? (I can't get mine off - they've been overtightened and I don't want to risk breaking anything right now)

19. I've got the MRA with the diffuser and a Palmer Products mount on my 1260. On tour last week I played around with it, and found when I managed to stop the buffeting on my head , the wind was coming round the sides, and, I think, under the screen, hitting my small tank bag, and causing turbulence. Another lad was on a GSA and suffered none of my problems, but it was fitted with a much wider screen, not taller, and winglets. I think Ducati and others have gone for form over function for this bike, just need to find winglets and a wider screen for touring.

20. I have the standard screen.

I did check to see that the wind wasn’t coming around the side of the screen - for me it was coming over the top and hitting my helmet.

The other option is to take the screen off and see if that is better. The air flow might be better.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information