1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pikes Peak Wind Noise

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Daddy2coull, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Mine is now sorted. Just waited until I’d had my trip away to confirm.

I have the MRA vario screen, spacers from the chap on this very forum and the seat in the lower position. I can now ride with my tour x helmet no problem at all. I can hear my coms, engine and other road users. I’m a happy bunny.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Daddy2coull - can you tell me how far the spacers push the screen forward top and bottom. I have the palmer products gadget which pushes a set amount at the bottom and a variable amount at the top. I've also got an MRA (following in your footsteps having read this post) and it helps but its still not quite there
    I'll try doing a 'blue peter' on my spacers to push it further out

3. I just cut my standard screen down to 310mm with the Dremel. No more wind roar or buffeting. Totally transformed my riding experience.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lol. Ducati whorehouse autocorrect

5. SO does anyone like the PP screen? I have one coming and I am 5'11". I currently have the Puig racing screen and it is not horrible at all but long highway rides mean ear plugs (seat in high position). If i move up a couple inches with the puig in the low position it is perfect. I am hoping the PP screen is a bit shorter then the puig but not sure.....

6. I like the PP screen.it looks better than the standard screen and I have noticed no difference to wind noise or protection and was quite happy with the way the standard screen worked.

7. I always ear plugs anyway. Anyone who values their hearing should wear them all the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. i love the look of the pp screen. but it just didn't work for me. it's not a fault of the bike or the screen. it's just a combination of factors that are beyond my control. luckily i have managed a work around and the love affair is back on. not only is it back on, the multi has now overtaken my hyper939sp as the best bike that i've ever owned.

9. But you're not going to tell the rest of us Multistrada owners what you've done because... ?

EDIT: Apologies. Have just read your post higher up the page, re. MRA screen and Jamie's spacers

:rolleyes:o_O:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hey mate, any chance of a pic? The roaring is unpleasant and when I stand up on the pegs it is just so much better that cutting the screen down does seem like the sensible option...

11. Well I tired the spacers and they helped a tiny bit but for me not worth the outlay. I've been riding around without any screen the last couple of days and its almost like riding a different bike, so quite and smooth, even the g/f cannot believe the difference on the back of the bike.

There is a lot more wind though at 90mph. If I place my hand on top of the screen adjuster it reduces that wind to a pleasant amount and the noise / buffeting still stays away. The answer it would appear would be to fit a small screen like the PP one. Now I wonder if anyone has one to sell they aren't using any more??! ;)

12. IMG_5990.JPG No screen, top spacers in place from the other day when I tired them ...

13. I tried the pikes peak after using the Puig racing screen. No difference in wind noise but the PP puts more wind on your shoulders so I put the Puig back on. I am actually going to try and modify my PP by cutting the top portion out.....I will try and take a pic....

#113 C RFan1, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  14. Interesting that the Puig and PP produced the same amount of noise, the Puig could well be the screen to go for given the lower cost. I have a friend who has one sat around so will give it a go when I get the chance somepoint in October. Of course all this is subjective as the buffeting / wind effects everyone differently to a lesser or greater degree.

15. Indeed....I think on the PP it is because the top portion is flipped more upward and combine with the vent it throws the air higher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I just did this to my PP with a dremel...removed the top vent portion....it is shorter and I think it looks ok. Have to get some satin clear for the top part that was under the vent where they did not spray it. Cold in the Chicago area now so may be a good summer screen....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fitted an MRA Vario to the top of my std screen and had an extensive ride today. To be honest the only time it made a noticeable difference was with the vario on max forward tilt and the std screen up high. Even then it is still noisy and buffetty. It is considerably better hunched down or standing on the pegs and makes you wonder why the adv bikes always are like this? This is the third one I've owned and again I am having to do lots of research and big changes. The last bike I put a Givi Airflow on which made a massive difference. This one, not sure now cos there are so many conflicting solutions...cutting down the screen is sounding the best option at this stage...

18. I have tried the stock screen with spacers, a Puig sport and currently have an MRA Vario with deflector and the spacers which is best so far, but far from ideal. I was riding around yesterday thinking that there must be a better solution. I thought about going really short for a cleaner air flow but I really don't want the higher speed pressure on my chest and shoulder as that is no fun on a long trip. I had come to the conclusion that it is an unsolvable problem, but surely there must be an answer...…………..

19. The short carbon pikes peak screen is what I started with and it was the worst so far. But it’s all about how the bike reacts with the individual.

20. I have the Palmer bracket installed with a Givi screen, no wind noise..

37848C99-11A9-46E8-8058-DA680E7ECF68.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information