1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pikes Peak Wind Noise

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Daddy2coull, Jun 13, 2018.

1. I’ve just fitted the Givi Touring screen to my DVT and done a few miles on some quiet roads in France
    Definite improvement on the standard screen, less buffeting and lower noise levels at all speeds. Enough of an improvement for me.
    I’m 186cm and quite broad, keeps the air off my upper body more too.

2. A few guys have said my screen spacers help with wind noise depending on the screen setup.

3. Have you looked at the screen spacers which alter the angle of the screen?

• Like Like x 1
  4. For sound confort I have one recommendation, and please try it. Bose QC20 These guys makes you whisper on phone calls with a Sent comm set. Trust me I have tried it all

5. Shure SE535 earbuds also work sublimely

6. Holy shit batman! I just googled them and saw how much they cost! Do you get a happy ending with them everytime you wear them as well?

7. Yeah they are a bit pricey , however the sound is very special , they separate at the earbud and they swivel there too.
    The noise cancellation is tuneable and possible to get just right for every individual.
    There's no loose connection issues , they are really robust , I've used mine daily for the last 6 years.
    Most presenters on moto gp and WSBK wear shure stuff , its very nicely made.
    If I lost them ( they wont break) , I'd replace them with the same.
    so yes initially its a bit of a dry bumming but they are pretty special IMHO , and I've tried loads of different ones.

8. I've just blocked out half a day to read this post, so thought I'd add my 2p...

On my previous bike (Monster 1200) I found the standard fly screen to be of no use, and didn't much like how it looked anyway. I removed it, and found no difference in wind or buffeting (I'm 6'2"). What really made a huge difference was fitting bar-end mirrors. Clearly the standard mirror stalks created a tremendous amount of turbulent air, and that was very noisy. There really was a significant reduction in wind noise. I'd have to assume the same would apply to the Multi. The mirror stalks and potentially the hand guards will all be contributing to a lot of turbulent air around the front of the bike. Additional wind deflection at the sides of the screen would almost certainly help in that regard, and I feel like there's probably a gap in the market there.

Many riders here have reported improvements with taller screens with flip-up bits, allowing them to sit in a bubble of quiet air. I prefer the look of a smaller screen, so take the compromise of a touch more buffeting but far less wind noise. I also get more bugs on my visor! I also NEVER ride without earplugs, unless it's 2 miles up the road to work, and even then I find it utterly deafening, regardless of bike!

• Like Like x 1
  9. The previous 1200 model had side deflected ties available but the facelift meant they wont fit. They are similar to the things you see on gold wings and harleys to push the wind off to each side. I was getting to the point with mine where I considered getting a couple of cheap reflectors designed for the top of the screen and fixing them to each side. I found the carbon PP short screen made a big difference for me so have gone with that.

10. Same, I experimented a lot with Palmer bracket, clip on vario and Givi screen and the best yet was cut down std screen

• Like Like x 1
  11. Does anyone have images of what these side deflectors look like? Could be a simple task to get some CNC’d.

12. The side deflectors (hiss flaps) don't really work to any great extent, in my experience they did nothing.
    I bought a pair for my first bike, and took them off again. Putting a short screen on had far more difference.

Back then we did also try removing mirrors and hand guards. Whilst it made a bit of an improvement it was not significant enough to come up with a solution on that basis.
    If you want silence the Calsci screen is the answer, but it looks like a barn door as its huge.

One of my mates has a Wunderlich clip on flip-up bit on his standard screen on his 1260. He reckons it is the best he has tried and makes it very quiet for him, but no difference for his pillion.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I had a 2015 dvt and experienced this issue.......

Tried an mra vario screen and cut down standard screen
    I made some spacers which did help significantly, so tried a Palmer products variable bracket which helped but no more so than the 1” spacers at the top two fixings only, must be the change of screen angle that helped
    Tried many many types of earplugs, Isolates were the best apart from the Bose QC 20s which are very good but difficult to keep in place when putting helmet on.

I also experimented with cardboard hiss flaps, not with much success

In the end i sold the bike as i just didnt enjoy rides enough due to the noise/turbulence and the whole point of the Mutley was to be able to do long trips.

Steve

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. What did you replace it with?

15. I’m swaying towards an Africa twin adventure sport. Compared to the multi it’s a bubble of calm

16. Went back to a sports bike with a Panigale 959, and a superlight of course!

17. I just came off a 959 Panigale and would honestly say that the wind deflection is more or less the same with the Pikes Peak short screen.
    The Pani was awesome at the track and the few roads that were smooth and twisty. For the remaining roads, which are less than desirable (and that's most of them), I find the Multistrada a quantum leap better. You'll love the 959 when used for what it's designed for. Sweet gearbox too compared to the Testastretta. Enjoy.

#158 DarR, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  18. I have Jamie’s spacers and an MRA Vario screen. Works well. Combine with an AGV Sportmodular for calm rides.

19. The quest for a quiet ride......(2017 DVT 1200)

..... like many of you I am anal about bloody wind noise and have years of experience buggering about with a wide variety of screens, wings, ear plugs, helmets...ets...etc... (on a variety of bikes) Most of my efforts were in vane and I resorted to ramming in the soft silicone ear plugs. I mean RAMMING them in.... :)

A recent trip to the continent resulted in a hospital bill to remove the remnants of silicone deep in my ear so I decided to look for another solution.

I have grown to hate wind noise and it really bugs me on a long ride. I have worn a Shoei GT Air for years and it is a good lid but decided to try out the Schuberth C4. Nice lid... but not much quieter than the Shoei above 60mph... despite all the hype!

I ordered a sample selection of ear plugs from Amazon plus every other type I could find. I have a drawer full of the damn things and have tested all of them. The most effective for me are these..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pairs-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    ....but they hurt like hell after an hour or so.

These are just as quiet and do not hurt but are a bitch to get in properly... I push the fat end in first!! If I did not have to stop and re-fit them I would have been happy with this solution!! Note, they really need to be inserted well into the ear "fat" end first. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Howard-Lei...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZC3ZXWH5YQ60SN0DNZV7

It appears that I have a smaller right ear canal and hence my problems with wind noise on that side especially. Many of the ear plugs worked a treat on the left... There is more to inserting an ear plug than meets the eye...or ear!

Anyway, I decided to mess with the screen, as I have done on countless other bikes, but a few "heath robinson" attempts and experiments failed to prove successful. (I have ordered the spacers and am hopeful they will help...) I refuse to buy any more screens to test...I have loads in the shed from past attempts!!!

Note: the ear plugs need to fit deep in the ear canal to be effective and you need to waggle your jaw and pull up the top of your ear then ram the buggers home. I can ride in virtual peace and quiet with either of the ear plugs listed above.

So where am I now?

I bought the Bose noise cancelling ear plugs when Amazon had a special deal on "Amazon Prime day"... £150. Still expensive but about £100 off the retail price. They were really for flying but I decided to try them on the bike.

BLISS... absolute bliss (but not perfect!)

I love them and happily listen to music and chat on the phone at motorway speeds. There is some wind noise but it is like being in a car with the window open a bit - not bad at all. The noise level also stays constant and the volume of music can stay the same as it is at 30mph.
    The downside is a random popping sound (nothing too bad) when passing lorries in turbulent air. I think I can cure this... In clean air (no lorries) they are magical.

...also you really need a flip up lid to be able to keep them in your ears whilst putting it on. Luckily my C4 seems to be the perfect compliment to them and it works very well. I find myself riding much faster than I used to because everything is so quiet.

So my tuppence worth..... is to forget messing about too much with screens and use ear plugs properly inserted and if you have the dosh get some of the Bose ANR black magic...oh and a Schuberth flip up lid! (I got mine from Helmet City and it was heavily discounted - don't bother with the integrated Sena comms...it is not too brilliant!). The Schuberth and the ear plugs stay with you when you change bikes... so hopefully a permanent solution..:)

I shall let you know how I get on with the £40 spacers... but for now I am a very happy bunny.

First post by the way... sorry if teaching any grannies to suck old eggs...oh, and I adore the bike... motorcycling nirvana!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information