1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Wind Noise

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Warnie, Oct 27, 2021.

1. I really need to reduce the wind noise on my multi.

I'm 6ft 4in and with the standard screen its a nightmare no matter where I put it. I always ride with an intercom when out with my brother-in-law but on this bike I struggled to hear him, which sometimes can be a good thing

I've seen the givi touring screen and the puig light tint one which I think looks better. Can anyone advise which one would make the biggest difference?

There's also the MRA one with the spoiler, but I test road a multi with that screen and I remember thinking I need something taller.

2. The multi DVT is the worst bike that I’ve ever ridden for wind noise. I spent a fortune on screens and helmets but the best I came up with was iconic screen spacers and the MRA screen with the spoiler. I am only 5’9” though. Helmet made no difference at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Stradaprod.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. I tried various screens including the Puig Touring screen. I bought this before I collected the bike as I'd had one on my previous bike, MV Turismo, and it made a night and day difference on that. Unfortunately on the Multistrada it made no perceivable difference.

Also tried the very expensive Touratech screen with the same results.

The most effective solution for me was by using the Iconic Parts spacers. Still not 100% effective but a distinct improvement and I could use my intercom again.

I'm 6' tall.

I have a theory that the issue isn't helped by the narrowed waist on the lower part of the screen. This somehow causes turbulence that effects the flow over the upper edge too. Iconic now also do winglets that I think are intended to address this. They've only recently added this to their range.

• Useful Useful x 1

5. Had same problem . Found noise cancelling headphones Bose Q20 works really well. Takes out all the thrummy base tones and leaves a very acceptable noise level. A lot of people seemed to have trouble getting helmet on with them in, but I had no problems. My helmet is a Schubert C3 .

• Like Like x 1
  6. I have had the same problem with all my DVT's, MRA screen was only marginally better even with the spacers.

I too spent a fortune as well as a lot of time reading/trying various options. The best solution i found was using the standard screen and a wind deflector, see link below.

It was a cheap option and worked perfectly, like day and night. Before the installation of the deflector wind noise anything over 40mph was unbearable, with the deflector it was fine up to 80mph even with visor flipped up.

Not a bad experiment for under £20

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255018855426

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Also with intercoms/headsets alignment of the centre of the speaker with the ear canal as well as the closest proximity to the ear is pivotal in respect of audibility as the speed increases. I found this out in the days of Autocom when reading the owners manual, made a huge difference. With my Sena headset, a model specific to the Shoei GT Air, the position of the speakers in the clip-in mounts was far from optimal. Wound up making stacks of dense foam and Velcro to position them perfectly over, and brushing, my ears. Used with decent foam earplugs this works at practically any speed sub three figures though there is, I'll admit, a drop off in fidelity as the speed gets over 70. Still OK for sat nav, intercom and music on the motorway/autoroute. I only listen to music if I have long stints on the motorway.

8. I’m the same height as you. The standard screen feels like it puts the airflow straight at your helmet.

The Pikes Peak screen directs the air to your chest. Not prefect but better.

I wear an X Spirit 3 with ear plugs. It’s a combo I find acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I am also 6ft 4in and for me the stock screen at the lowest setting works best. (Ps I have the seat in the high position).

This way the wind hits me in the neck. If I slide the screen up, I get a terrible and noisy wind buffeting right at my helmet.

I also have a short racing Puig screen which also works ok. But not as good as stock in the low position.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I use a Givi screen on its lowest setting. I'm 5'11 and with the screen any higher and I'm looking through it which I don't like. I always wear moulded ear plugs but on the odd occasion I forget to wear them the wind noise is loud enough to make me stop ASAP and put them back in. With them in everything is reasonably quiet and I can hear intercom, music etc very well. The Givi screen keeps the weather and wind off me and looks good IMO but I think noise reduction is down to the ear plugs

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thank you everyone, some great advice

I've just ordered the spoiler for £15 or £16 I think to try 1st, as even if I go for a bigger screen I could use it on that as well.

I've also ordered the iconic parts screen spacers, so thanks again guys.

I hope it works as my ears are still ringing from yesterday's ride and I use ear plugs as well. I like having the screen in this weather as its so much warmer than being on a naked bike. But what I didn't expect was it to ne noiser !

Just one more thing, my 1st few rides were with the top box on. My last 2 were with just the panniers. The difference in wind noise seemed massive but surely the top box wouldn't make any difference would it?

12. Bought the very same, have been impressed so far with its results for under £20, haven't used anything else to compare it against tho.
    (I'm 6'4" and seat on highest setting)

• Like Like x 1
  13. I’ve been a fan of the deflectors for many years, I’ve got the more expensive Wunderlich one, which allows a lot of adjustments, but the eBay ones are pretty similar for a fraction of the price

• Like Like x 1
  14. I actually have a short Puig race screen on mine and have no issues with either noise or wind blast ... I do use Iconic spacers as well mind, they were the icing on the cake. The screen works well enough to allow me to ride visor up in light rain at motorway speeds. It deflects air over my head even at the lower position settings. I am only 5'9" though :D Makes up for only just getting both feet down when stationary.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I went with a much smaller pikes peak type screen in front

as a trial - remove the screen in front and take a ride to see if a shorter screen would work for you. Some noise could also be attributed to your helmet

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I bought a stock screen and cut it down to be a bit like a PP screen. Undoubtedly quieter, although you get all the bugs and weather!

17. I tried a smaller Puig screen, hoping it the air would be deflected onto my chest. It was even bloody worse.

I bet the £20 deflector will work fine.

18. The carbon Pikes Peak screen was the best I found. I'm riding a bike so do want to feel the speed, if I wanted no breeze I would just take the car.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information