1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Wind Noise

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Warnie, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Punching a hole through the stock windshield helps too.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. That’s interesting, proof that relieving the back pressure helps.

I’m just about 6’ but might be beginning to shrink now. I’ve tried various,
    1. I always use ear plugs. Sometimes the molded type with speakers for sat nav instructions.
    2. I use the MRA screen with the deflector + Iconic spacers when taking the Mrs on the back.
    3. I’ve recently fitted a PP carbon screen for solo, which I like because the wind hits lower onto your neck/ chest. It also makes the bike feel much smaller.

3. the screen on the DVT is an ongoing problem and judging by the comments this place is exactly the same as a Multi Facebook group I frequent.
    it appears that there is NO one size fits all solution to it, as even people who are the same physical size experience differing results.
    I've aquired over some time a selection of screens, ranging from a Puig Sports screen (roughly the same as the PP screen) all the way up to the Givi touring screen
    in noise order for me :
    1) Std Ducati screen
    2) MRA screen with spoiler- I was disapointed with this one
    3) Puig Sports screen
    4) Puig Touring screen
    5) Givi Touring screen
    the downside is the Givi touring screen is hideous to look at, but it works (for me) on a recent Scotland Tour the Mrs and I covered 1700 miles and not once did I need to clean my visor and the only witness marks (insect strikes) on her lid were on the very top..contrast this to my mate on an S1000XR who was cleaning visors at every stop !
    the Sports screen is excellent for solo day trips, but I'd not want to tour with it
    the Puig touring is a good compromise between looks/airflow/noise, not as good as the Givi but nicer to look at and better in hot weather
    the Std screen and the MRA had nothing to choose between them except the std screen looks better
    Now here is the caveat, on the FB group there are plenty of people who find the Givi no better so it doesnt work for everyone.
    for reference, I'm 6'1", wear a Schuberth E1 with a peak and use the Iconic spacers with all the screens and moulded ear plugs
    I've also in the interests of science taken the peak off and done some comparison runs and I actually find it noiser on Motorways without the peak

• Useful Useful x 3
  4. On my way in to work this morning I had my std screen with extender, and the screen raised to highest position, and doing 100mph I could still easily hear a podcast via my Sena headset, wearing ear plugs, and the headset not turned up to max.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just fitted the deflector.
    Hopefully it helps but the predicted dry day around here has turned into a downpour so I can't test it. Obviously I much prefer the bike without it but until I find a more aesthetically looking solution without wasting a load of money, then this is it for now.

Can someone confirm that I have the standard screen? Reason is I have ordered the iconic parts spacers along with the standard screen screws but three of them are not long enough

20211101_145054.jpg

6. That is indeed a std DVT screen :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. From looking on the iconic parts website it looks as though I have to remove the rubber grommets from the screen.

8. Not on mine unless they are modified
    Two Bolts fasten the spacers to the upper mounts of the bike
    TwoBolts and nut fasten the screen with rubber grommets to the spacers
    Then the third spacer uses a slightly
    Longer bolt
    The only caveat is mine are approx 3 years old so they may have changed them

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. 90AA27AF-5163-4E75-A3FD-B2800C97DFB5.jpeg 6227F8D5-120A-4151-A2F7-3B1349777FFC.jpeg 823A6715-3089-4986-898B-E3AD5C8022A9.jpeg
    a selection of photos showing some of the screens fitted

10. No, the rubber grommets remain.

IMG_1123_web.jpg IMG_1124_web.jpg IMG_1125_web.jpg IMG_1128_web.jpg IMG_1131_web.jpg

Though there is a different spacer kit for fitting with the new wings/nav mount/spacers combined. Though I imagine that these still use the grommets, just aren't as tall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. The top box will make a difference as will a pillion.
    Until I worked out what was best for me screen wise we had all sorts of turbulence going on.

12. Try this, remove the screen and go for a ride, lots of wind on the body as if you were riding a naked bike but no buffeting.
    I cut my original screen down a few times, twenty millimetres at a time so the wind hit mt shoulders and not my head.
    I then bought the closest height to that which was the Puig sport screen.
    Go short not long, change where the wind hits you, it may just work.
    Height and helmet will affect it but at the moment it sounds like all the wind off the screen is hitting you full in the face.

13. I did that with a stock screen, and made my own version of a PP screen. Fine for short summer rides, although the bugs are annoying!

14. Had a ride out yesterday with the new deflector in place and after a few adjustments I can report back that its better, but I obviously as mentioned before do not like the looks (what a tart !).

I will for the summer no doubt get the puig sport screen. But one of the big reasons for getting a sport tourer was for the weather protection in winter months, so I really need the bigger screen for now.

I've emailed iconic parts who now want pics so I'll sort that later. Still hoping that the spacers will make it more rideable without the added deflector but so far the £16 or so for it has been money well spent.

15. After I while I didn’t even notice the deflector. It was by far the best solution I found for wind noise. Best £16 I ever spent. Well not ever, but you know what I mean.

16. 5A68CCFA-CC5E-4ECB-ADD4-20AEA076926E.jpeg
    Here’s mine!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information