1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Wind Tubulence

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Paul Johnson, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Hello all,

I've searched the forum but can't find much information about screen wind turbulence, although some do suggest that it exists...

I'm just shy of 6ft tall and I'm struggling with noisy wind turbulence on my V4s. I still have the original screen fitted, and I've tried various height settings, but even after about 30 miles at 70-80 mph my tinnitus is re-awakened. I wear earplugs whenever I ride, but the low frequency sound is still too much for my ears. I wear a Schuberth S2 Pro helmet.

Has anyone tried the Givi Touring Screen? https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk...ansparent-ducati-multistrada-v4-2021-d7413st/

It's 8cm taller than the standard one so it might just work.

Has anyone else found the wind noise too much, and if so have you fixed it with a new screen?

Many thanks,

pj

2. Ha, ha, ha!
    Seriously, it’s probably the most debated topic on the forum!!!

I admit most of these probably relate to V2 models but it’s the same issue I expect.

Potential fixes are:
    Short screen - Pikes Peak style, less noise but more tiring on long trips

Screen Spacers - worked for some people but not sure if there are any for the V4 yet

Different screen - pot luck here, some folk like certain screens but they don’t work for everyone so hard to make a judgement.

Some sort of deflector on the top of the screen, I use a Wunderlich one which works for me on long trips (and a short screen for normal shorter trips).

I actually thought the V4 screen was supposed to be a huge improvement, it has the cut outs to equalise wind flow and the deflectors at the bottom.

PS welcome to the forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Coming from a 1260 with a short screen fitted with a deflector I have found the Standard V4S screen to be very good - BUT - so many variables with wind flow / screens. I am 5' 10 and use a Schuberth C4, 2 clicks up from fully down works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I found lots of chat about V2s but not too much about the V4s.

I've been riding for over 35 years, but mainly sports tourers, and turbulence hasn't been a problem. It's just been windy, but not low rumble turbulence. I bought a R1200RS last year and couldn't tame the noise on that bike, and that's one (of many) reasons that it only lasted 6 months. I still have a MRA Vario Screen in the garage which only saw 7 days service that I need to put on ebay. I really want to keep the V4 but my poor old ears are telling me differently.

Hopefully someone will have tried the Givi screen and might sway a purchase.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I had the same thing on a KTM 990 adventure. Lasted 2 months of trying various screen options until I'd had enough. I bought that for a John o Groats to Lands End ride as my 1st tourer and was very disappointed. Ended up with a naked Cb1000r which I did the ride on and it was awesome.
    What I'm getting at is I now have a 1200 dvt and had the same issue re buffeting. Fitted a short carbon pikes peak and it's bloody brilliant. This was after I tried the screen spacers with and without the vario little screen at the top on the standard screen and also a taller touring screen. No real noticeable difference for me and my tinnitus.
    So long story short give the short screen a go if you can. Touring with that is no issue for me particularly after riding just shy of 2000 miles in 4 1/2 days which was lots of fun.
    Not sure where you're located but if you're anywhere near Darlington /Stockton way then you're welcome to come and have a go with the longer and shorter screens I have as I think the fitment is the same as the v4 as in 3 screws.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I had a 2017 1200S and the stock screen didn’t work for me (too much turbulence) and found the short Puig Sport screen was the best option. I also used an MRA Vario adapter when touring which helped on the motorway.

I find the stock V4 screen to be much better than the stock 1200/1260 screen (no turbulence) but some wind noise hitting top of head. I also have the taller Ducati V4 touring screen which I’ve been using over winter which definitely reduces noise and offers more protection. I’ve just done a mini tour with my partner as pillion over the past weekend and also added the Vario adapter… setup works well but will only use this setup when doing big miles.

I’ve just fitted the V4 carbon screen (same size as stock V4 Pikes Peak screen) and whilst there is more wind blast/noise there is no turbulence or buffeting at all… this will be my regular setup.

There are so many variables - height, seat hight, weather conditions… it would be a great shame to even consider getting rid of your V4 - trial and error needed. :upyeah:

7. Definitely try the short screen. I fitted the Pikes Peak screen to my 1260, and it transformed the buffeting. As a matter of course, I now fit short screens to all my bikes, and for me that’s where the solution lies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Short screen with spacers which allow the wind to flow around the screen 60217639-ED07-4CF7-9E3A-4D8313AB3167.jpeg
    Stops vibration and looks cool!

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Buy a buff and wear it round your neck. Can make a big difference if that’s where the problem is.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Took the small screen off my V4 PP as its was causing buffering and turbulence , fitted a standard and perfect , plus I think it looks better than the black shield , and the standard on my V4s before was perfect as well. Im around 6ft and run with a high seat in high position.

11. Thanks for all of the above. As you can see you're the first, but definately not the last, to recommend a shorter rather than taller screen. And thanks for the offer of trying various screens but I'm a touch further south than you are, and also looking at my bike they've gone for a 4 screw option on the V4s.

Thanks again, pj

• Like Like x 1
  12. I do wear a snood at all times, and the Schuberth has a built in "neck hole reducer". However I entirely understand where you're coming from as when I use my left hand to cup around my neck the noise does defintely decrease. I guess I'll be buying a buff too.
    Cheers, pj

13. That's all a bit interesting. I had two ST1050s (one was nicked) before the R1200RS. The Triumphs had a Double Bubble style screens on both of them and they were lovely to ride. Yes there was some wind noise, but certainly no turbulence like on the BMW and V4s. I'm gonna dig out my old Arai, which is definitely a bit noisy, and see if the turbulence changes. Thanks for the link to the neoprene skirt, I might well give that a go as it's a pretty cheap solution.

14. Oh Captain, just when I thought the concensus was a short screen you come and ruin it all.... :)

I'm guessing that as I suspected there's no easy fix on this one. I don't suppose you're near Herfordshire and fancy lending me your short screen to try?

pj

15. In addition to a buff I'm thinking off trying one of these :

https://conquestracingltd.com/product/ducabike-ducati-multistrada-v4-sport-screen/

Oddly the vertical dimension is 390mm, and at its shortest the stock screen in only 10mm more at 400mm. If you have a chance might you be able to messure the dimensions of your carbon screen?

Thanks, pj

16. OK Paul, I too had two ST1050. First one from new was bent in half by me !

If you are shorter it may be that you are not in the air stream which maybe shaking things around.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I would be wary of the V4 Sport Screen as in the link above, the BIG difference with the V4 Screens is that they have a cut out mid screen to equalise pressure so reducing turbulence, the above screen doesn't have that cut out slot (it would appear from the photos!). The V4 also has the side deflectors and they also help improve airflow

• Like Like x 1
  18. Im in Worcestershire

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information