1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Windnoise - Mirrors

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Jackstraw, Aug 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Anyone got a good close up picture of the spacers fitted ont bike?
    They look a bit rough in some pics I’ve seen. Probably not, just a poop picture.

2. IIRC, the spacers are 3D printed so will look unfinished if compared to an injection moulded one. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. #23 noobie, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  4. Mirrors off, luggage off, standard screen.
    Quick spin up my local dual carriageway
    At 60, 70, 80mph and more, very slight improvement to 'dirty wind' noise and wind now seems to be coming over the screen rather than around the side. Overall still unacceptable so waiting for ordered MRA Vario screen to arrrive. Will fit it then start with Palmers spacers then may spend more of my hard earned on Jamie Clare's spacers

5. Good luck, it seems we've tried all the same ideas, I've tried the Vario screen with the Palmer Products mount, and unfortunately when I got it set so no turbulence came round or over it, it came under it! I think this was made worse by my tank bag, but by then I'd given up. I've now ordered the spacers, so I'll keep you posted. I now have a comprehensive collection of screens and mounting devices.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I was under the impression that the only reason to fit spacers was to clear the sat nav mount issues ,which i did by making some 20p fence bracket spacers to bring the mount back a tad. The wind noise issue i can sadly say i have have had on every bike i have owned. Gsx 1400 gsxr750 gsxr1000 rf900 fazer 1000 z1000, z1000sx, ... They are all noisy. The reason why the multistrada is more noisy than all the others is because it is sooo much faster.

7. When the 1200 multi first came out a group of us tried all sorts. This included pretty much every screen type going, plus the aero flip extensions etc.
    We tried pretty much every spacer type too, which was around the time the palmer products spacers came out.
    These attempt to put the screen more upright (barn door style) to push the air up and over.
    Some guy made what were referred to as Hiss Flaps (do a search for them). These fit either side of the screen to cut down the wind coming past the screen and cut down the turbulence a bit, but not a great deal in my experience (others liked them though).

Without a doubt, the Calsci big screen does the job. It makes the bike pretty much turbulence free for the rider, but its not exactly a looker. You also have to look through the screen so it needs to be kept clean.
    The best alternative was to go for a PP style shorty screen. Rather than pushing the turbulent air over the top of your head it puts your head in the free air above it, so you feel the pressure on your chest / shoulders.
    This is what I now ride with most of the time. Granted its not ideal for higher speeds when cruising, but it is the best compromise imo.

I also found my Schuberth flip front helmet, whilst being the quietest I could find and was on other bikes, was more noisy on the multi than other helmets. We currently use Shoel GT Air, which is miles quieter than the schuberth was.

If only they could do some wind tunnel work on the multi to get the noise down for the rider. I'm sure its only a few subtle changes required.

8. I went from stock DVT screen to Puig sport screen and now just have the natural wind noise from riding as opposed to this plus the noise generated by the screen. Ear plugs and I'm sorted - bonuses include lower speed due to wind blast (less points!) and bike looks much better (well until I stick the panniers n top box on anyways!).

9. Never noticed any problems with noise or turbulence

10. I think it bothers some more than others.

I made a bottom mount spacer and I though it helped some so as a test I taped up the gap between the screen and the faring and boy did the problem get worse. The buffeting was horrible with the tape so I figured that spacing the screen away from the faring was the way to go. I made spacers for the top mounts and now it's even better, not perfect but way better than stock.

11. Thanks for your comments John, I've tried a large touring screen but I enjoy riding quickly through the twisties and I don't feel comfortable doing that looking through the screen so that's a compromise too far.
    I've fitted an MRA screen over the weekend which is a fraction bigger than a stock with a built in aero foil in front. I have a 60 mile motorway trip planned for two days time so fingers crossed
    I would like to try a Shoei but it's a lot of money just to trial

12. I don’t know whether to class my bike as noisy! It’s louder than the GS for sure, but not unbearable by any means. I guess riding a Tuono for 7 years desensitised me.

Stupid question but I’m assuming everyone wears earplugs?

13. Earplugs almost always. Just started using Plugphones so I can get navigation prompts from my phone. So far they have been great.

14. I have MRA Vario and found it definitely helps. I also have spacers on order. Will post some pics and test ride results once fitted.

15. Jackstraw, I don't like looking through the screen either, hence the shorty screen.
    For a few alps trips I put the big screen on to get there, taking the pp screen in the top box.
    Now I just don't bother with the big screen, I just put the pp screen up to max.

helmet city will allow you to test ride a crash helmet.
    Look around for sales of old stock being cleared in a few months ready for next year's colours.
    We got ours for about 300 quid ;)

Yes I always wear earplugs, unless I'm only doing a few miles to the local village.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I have this too. With the screen low, it hits me right at the neck/chin on my helmet. Set high, it is hitting me in the forehead. This is the worst turbulence I have ever experienced. Eagle Screens in Aus do a 600mm screen and I am thing of getting one of these. If that doesn't work, it'll have to be a shorty screen.
    I have just come off a Sprint ST 1050 and the wind used to hit me in the chest. No buffeting at all and nice and quiet.

17. I took the multi to the dealer for the fork oil seals to be replaced. It was 30 miles on the mway moving the MRA setting and adjusting the rake and height. Better but still not good. Took out a Z1000SX for a couple of hours whilst mine was being worked on. What a difference just plain fresh air coming at me rather than the dirty air the Duke generates

18. Hmm, MRA was a very slight improvement but still loads of noise. (Strictly speaking its not really noise its the pressure/buffeting from dirty air that's f**king with my ears. It maybe that they are over sensitive but clean air / ordinary wind noise doesn't affect them)
    So its off with the MRA, next trial will be a Puig racing screen - comes up about 4 inches higher than the top screw holding it in place, a palmer products mount, and now I'm going to try putting a wunderlich as an aero foil on the Puig screen.
    Had a little run out on a Ducati Supersport, didn't go mad but up to 90mph it was lovely and quiet
    If this doesn't work the Multi's going on eBay!

19. My 2010 ended up with the larger Ducati touring screen, Palmer spacers and the Australian 'winglets' which I had to Dremmel a bit to fit with my Barkbusters. Still needed earplugs, but it was generally acceptable to me.

Now on a 2017 Enduro and the noise is just horrific - running the stock screen up high or the Carbon shorty down low makes no appreciable difference? I rushed out on Thursday in the rain and forgot to put my earplugs in (last pair) and spent most of the time above 50mph with my chin near the tank to stop the pain!

Having read this and another 'noise related' thread, I've just bought another 80 Howard Leighton candy stripe foam earplugs.

I can't understand how BMW and KTM have both managed to overcome this issue, so much better? Out on a recent run, my mate on the KTM switched his Comms off, as he couldn't bear the roaring noise coming from my microphone, bowling along at 80 mph!

20. My solution was the Wunderlich adjustable top mini screen, loads of adjustment, non-permeant, very well made, take it off when you get to the mountains.
    https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-screen-deflector-vario-ergo-20280-002-1.html
    I find with it fitted in front of the main screen and angled up a little it removes the buffeting on the standard screen. I can just look over the top with the screen on it's highest position (motorways), then lower the main screen for A roads to give a clearer view.
    [​IMG]

Do Not Sell My Personal Information