1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Windscreen Dilemma

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by djays, May 19, 2020.

1. Unlikely that any two people have the same experience. I'm 6'1, I have the Ducati touring (slightly tinted) screen which is about 2 inches higher than the stock. Seat in the high position, Shoei 1200, With the screen in the high position the wind hits 2/3rds up my helmet visor and is 100 percent smooth, no noticeable buffeting. I can lift the visor a few notches to scratch my nose with no wind entering the helmet. I'm still looking well over the visor. With the screen in the lowest position the wind hits most of the visor but no buffeting. I wear snug fitting foam expanding ear plugs so in all conditions there is mostly silence. For me the wind protection couldn't be better with this Ducati touring screen

2. UPDATE;
    Received my PUIG Touring screen and too it out for a spin, at first it seemed like i would be lucky, but after getting on the motorway the turbulence started... up/down not a chance to reduce the buffeting! :(

Today i took the screen off and out for a blast, no screen= no buffeting! so it looks like i have to cut down the original OEM screen to close up the front..

I now have 2 PUIG windscreens for sale if anyone is interested!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I hate the standard screen, the buffeting is not for me. Pikes Peak screen is the answer, done several 3000+ mile European trips... Perfect, and it looks so much better- result upload_2020-7-8_23-32-23.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I tried the Pike peaks screen on a trip to Germany, was OK at sub 100MPH but about that it was horrendous so reverted back to my Puig screen

5. 6’3” tall, seat set high, Neotec 2 helmet, kept getting buffetted with the std screen so got the Puig racing screen, it’s about 50mm lower, so still protects the Garmin from the bugs. Buffeting has reduced dramatically , however wind pressure above 70 has gone up noticeably, which is probably no bad thing given the amount of cameras around the south east! So I’m keeping it on as it’s generally more comfortable.
    My hypothesis is that putting a big screen in front of you, whilst keeping the weather off, makes the bike more susceptible to any on road air turbulence, so we just have to accept which way we compromise.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I fitted the Pikes Peak screen to mine, and combined with my GT Air or Netoec II don’t get buffeting at any speeds. Tested it at 160mph and my head didn’t fall off! :D

DD73C261-8576-4BC6-BC9F-2B77211FED7D.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Purchased a 2nd hand MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield from eBay this week.

Had a decent ride out on Monday and have to say this as well as the Touratech Comfort Seat has definitely improved my bike, a lot less wind buffering in the lower position and I’m 6ft 1” so seems to work fine for me.

Have a three day trip planned in Scotland soon so looking forward to a proper test.

E4DBD2AE-4FB2-4274-B20A-3B64DA012937.jpeg

9. nice to see I sold it to a fellow member :) got some other bits if interested, evotech bar protectors, pannier inner bags, alloy clutch and brake caps and top box

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks mate, it is deffo a vast improvement and thanks for the fast deal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I've just ordered up a E-bay cheapo (£16) deflector that screws on top of the stock screen. A poor mans MRA Vario if you like.
    If it works well I might buy a real MRA !

12. Another 5' 10" rider

Anyone of the same height know of a screen that puts the wind onto your chest, like a naked type bike?

Standard screen was no good. I have the Puig sport screen which is better for buffeting on the higher setting, but is bloody noisy. On the lower, its like the wind comes around it and batters my head.

13. Short Pikes peak screen will put the wind on your chest

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. The price certainly put the wind up me!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. You can find cheaper versions or they come up on eBay and the for sale section here.
    Don't forget you can always sell it for pretty much what you bought it for when you eventually sell the bike...

Make sure you get the right version as the early bikes have four holes and are different from the DVT/1260
    This one would fit the old bike:
    https://www.motostorm.it/en/accesso...BMSnFocvPX8tg1VgvhuJh7mGAknbQaQRoCTu8QAvD_BwE

• Like Like x 1
  16. You can always dremmel it down, paint or fibre wrap it. Job done.

17. The Enduro screen, is an alternative to the PP, and the price is a bit more palatable

• Like Like x 1
  18. Be careful here. The 2010 to 2012 multis had a 3 bolt mounting for the screen, then it became 4 bolt.
    these early 3 bolt screens will NOT fit the DVT 3 bolt mounts, different spacing.

Just saying, incase anyone is tempted by an earlier screen. :yum

• Like Like x 2
  19. If u look at all the new bikes ms v4, Bmw r1250rt,s1000xr they all have winglets. Put shirt race wrs screen as hate the tall screens in summer too hot
    So iconic parts must have got something right with their winglet aftermarket. Was getting wind buffeting at high speed fitted spacers helped have now fitted the winglets but not had a chance to test yet on a long fast ride the iconic is a bit tricky to fit as u prob need longer bolts so get some before u start

20. I’m 5’8”. Standard seat in lowered position. Shoei helmet. Ducati touring screen made it worse. Iconic spacers made a big difference to the standard screen. Tried a mates arai and found both the noise and buffeting was worse than the shoei.

Cheers for feedback on the eBay deflector - will order one up to try out for the next long trip.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information