1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter Gloves

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by The Bar Man, Oct 11, 2017.

1. I'm in the market for a new pair of winter gloves.

I'm considering the Rev'It Taurus GTX and was wondering is anyone has experience of these or could make some other suggestions.

Thanks.

3. I own 2 pairs of Rev'it gloves and have been happy with them. If you have heated grips then try to avoid over bulky gloves for better feel. Do you have the opportunity to try on any of the ones you fancy? Held may be worth a look also.

4. Rev'it have made some of the best gloves I've ever owned. Ditto on @L Twin Lover though, I hate the feel of winter gloves and tend to just use the heated grips and summer gloves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I don't know about the specific gloves you ask but every single thing I have bought from RevIt has been exceptional in quality. Having said that, I am extremely happy with the Held Race-Tex X-trafit gloves. Not that bulky compared to others I've had in the past but with all the armor you can get, a very solid tightening system and completely waterproof (tested numerous times and for many hours). I cannot comment on temperature control however, since I haven't found a pair of gloves yet that will keep my hands warm (I often ride in temperatures from 0 to 4 degrees Celsius), therefore I use heated undergloves. However, I believe that cold hands is a personal trait, so it could be that the thermal lining of modern gloves will be enough to keep you warm.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dainese do a couple of really nice gortex gloves.

7. I currently use a pair of Held Air n Dry which I'm very happy with and are plenty warm enough with heated grips. The only problem I have with them is that the palms take an age to dry when they get a soaking and often still feel damp the next day.

I'm also keen to avoid gloves where the lining is likely to pull out or twist.

8. If your gloves are the Goretex version and you are using heated grips in the wet, then there should be no surprise that they take an age to dry. Wet Goretex and external heat make it act like a sponge. Andy

9. I used a pair of Dainese M25 (I think) for the last 10 years... they finally gave up the ghost last year and I've replaced them with Dainese Scout Goretex which I started using last week... certainly don't feel as bulky as normal winter gloves and are proper warm (I guess because it's not cold yet...) Rev It kit is generally excellent, my Mrs has a pair of gloves and I've got a set of race leathers and they are top quality... just be sure with the gloves that they are proper winter ones though as the ones we bought for her were not as warm as we'd hoped.... thermal lining and waterproof does not necessarily mean winter gloves.... well worth trying some on if you can

10. I've got a set that I used for my ride to Nordkapp last year and a few winter rides.
    They're plenty warm, maybe even too warm sometimes. Bone dry but main issue is if it's a bit mild and you start to sweat then the lining is hard to get in and out of if you're regularly stopping on a ride out.
    Other than that, great for cold weather.

11. Have a look at the Ride recommended Richa glove, forget the exact model now.
    Only criticism I have is the cuff could be slightly larger.

12. Rukka R-Star Gore-Tex Gloves - Link

The R-Star gloves use a dual chamber system to offer you the choice between extra control and extra warmth, all within the one glove.

•Fully water- and windproof and breathable Gore-Tex gloves
    •Full leather gloves
    •Fleece lining
    •2 in 1 technology
    •Extra warmth for colder riding conditions with light insulation
    •Knuckle and scaphoid protection
    •Long visor wiper in left index finger

13. Buffalo , cheap and as warm as chips......Mmmmm, Chips !! :upyeah:

14. Ive got some Furygan winter gloves. Toasty.

15. I've not heard of that and it may or may not be true, but it's not the problem with the Air n Dry Gloves. They have two compartments, one is warm and waterproof, the other cool and vented. The vented compartment (palm side) is not waterproof and the rain soaks through the vents. Although this doesn't directly affect the dry compartment they take an age to dry out completely. Having said that, they have been near perfect for British summers!

Just to finish things off, I went for the Rev It Taurus gloves and I'm very pleased with them. The quality is excellent and although some of the web reviews commented on the wrist straps being tricky to release, once I figured out how they work, it's very straightforward. They look like they will provide a very good level of protection and provide enough 'feel' for save winter riding.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions.

16. I've read that they can be awkward to fit properly around the cuff of your jacket, as they have an outer and inner component. How do you find this aspect?

17. Gary, good point, yes they do have outer and inner parts but I always wear my gloves fully inside the jacket cuff. I've not found any gloves particularly comfortable when worn outside the jacket sleeve. My jacket also happens to have an elasticated inner cuff which prevents wind coming up the sleeve. I will try them in the way they are probably designed to be worn this evening and post back.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. 2nd the R star, had mine for 12months and love em

19. Last night I tried the Rev It Taurus gloves on the outside of my Rukka jacket sleeve and that did not work at all well. Rukka jackets are definitely designed for the sleeves to go over gloves.

I then tried them with an old leather jacket with much tighter cuffs, they were a tad fiddly to get on but not really any hassle.

So, if anyone is thinking of buying a pair, it's probably worth trying them with your existing kit.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information