1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by TNR, Nov 17, 2018.

1. So it's gonna get really cold where I am this winter (ontario). Like, -25°C.

My storage is in an old shed barely closed to the elements. Are my tyres in danger of cracking at temps this low?

2. yep. Best coat them in vaseline.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Surely you could buy some 1" or thicker polystyrene sheets & make a box, stick a tiny electric heater in there also. Nice & cosy'

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ok, thanks. I might just take rear wheel off and bring it inside.
    Front is a bit more tricky.

#4 TNR, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  5. Buy some tyre warmers and paddock stands keep the tyres off the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Minus 25....fucking warm for you. Put gloves on ffs

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. From the Metzeler UK technical data sheet...

Temperature
    The storage temperature must be less than 35°C and preferably less than 25°C. A temperature greater than 50°C, especially if stock rotation is not sufficient, can result in accelerated forms of deterioration, such as to reduce the duration in use of the tyre. Avoid contact with heaters and radiators. Very low temperatures in the storage area are not in themselves damaging, but can provoke rigidity of the tyre. In this case, they must not be deformed during movement or fitting. If they are destined to be used immediately they are released from storage, it is necessary to keep them for a few hours in an area with a temperature of approximately 20°C.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information