1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring Help With The Yellow Relay On A 1999 748 Biposto

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Yellow Peril, May 11, 2020.

1. Because the relay suspected of being faulty was corroded badly, I damaged the 'socket' section so decided to wire direct with individual connectors.

After not really being able to follow the Haynes wiring diagram well enough I asked for advice and followed this Brown to 30, Black/Yellow 85, White 87, Thick White to centre 87 and Thin Black to 86. Someone else gave the same layout but swapping Black 86 to 85 and Black Yellow to 86.

Now (as before I had no power whatsoever), without turning ignition on, I have the ignition light, low fuel light (I am low on fuel) and when switched the lights will come on, but no fuel pump priming and no starter action, so where do I go from here please?

Yellow Peril, A moment ago

2. You have it wired correctly. Swapping 85 and 86 would make no difference the relay would function just the same. Pin 85 (black wire) goes to earth. When the ignition is switched to on it should apply 12V to the yellow/black wire, turning the relay on. This will switch power from the white wire (which comes from the main 30A fuse) to the brown wire and hence too fuses 3,4,5,6,7 & 8.
    If there is power to ignition light, low fuel light, etc without turning the ignition on then the yellow/black must be live when it shouldn't be.
    If there is no starter nor fuel pump I suggest that the safety relay isn't operating. It's dependent on the stand switch, so check that.

3. I don't have a stand switch, it was decommissioned before I bought the bike years ago.

4. It may be worth looking at how it was bypassed.Just to see it is still okay.

5. Could it be possible that this relay is not actually compatible? 167-Renault Clio Scenic Laguna Megane 5-Pin Yellow Relay 8200051112 40A Bitron bought from Ebay.

6. The Renault Clio relay should do the job. The relay outputs differ to normal relays. Look up Topran 102 930 relay that should have the correct outputs.

7. Tried Moto Rapido this morning with no luck for an alternative relay.

8. This doesn't look quite right somehow?

Topran.jpg

9. At last, after much grinding of teeth and wringing of hands, I have managed to lay hands on a brand new genuine Ducati Yellow Relay. Why I didn't think of Carl Harrison before, I do not know!.

#9 Yellow Peril, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Carl is a great man to know

11. OK guys have installed new genuine Ducati Yellow relay and have lights, ignition light and indicators restored. Where to look now for fuel pump prime and ignition?

Both 30 and 40 amp fuses appear to be intact.

12. It’s worth spending a few minutes giving your fuses a good wiggling and making sure the blades are completely flat.
    An intact fuse is not necessarily carrying current as it’s not uncommon to get enough light oxidation between fuse and fuseholder to create a poor connection.

13. If the starter is now operating then it's nothing to do with the side stand switch by bypass. If not you need to check that.
    If the starter is operating then check for 12V at pin 86 of the fuel pump relay. Check also for 12v at pin 30 of the fuel pump relay and pins 86 and 30 of the injection relay.

14. Starter not operating, fuel pump is priming, lights, horn, indicators, low fuel light all operating.

15. Check the connector that goes in the back of the starter relay hasn't come out

16. I got the impression from your previous post that the fuel pump wasn't priming.
    As Higgy say check connector to the solenoid. The starter circuit is very simple and if there is power to the fuel pump relay then there must be power to the starter switch. When you press the button 12V is sent through a red/blue wire to the solenoid. The other wire of the solenoid connector goes to ground and that's all there is to it.
    So either the switch is faulty, the r/b wire is broken or disconnected (it goes through the sub-loom multi-connector), the ground connection isn't there, or the plug has come out or isn't fully home.

17. It wasn't, but I put my hands up to being an absolute numpty, somehow I'd inadvertently hit the kill switch. However, I took the 40 amp fuse out again, gave everywhere a good blast of electrical contact spray, put it all back together and the old girl fired up

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  18. Now I've got the bike up and running, I'm wondering how hard it would be to fit another OE connector for the yellow relay, as I think my single wires solution isn't very neat and is a bit vulnerable to the wet. How would you go about it?

19. I can't remember the details of the 916/748 relay socket but if you can get a suitable one they are easy enough to fit. The terminals are push fit into the holder and lock in place. You'd need to crimp new terminals onto the wires and push them into the new relay socket. Maybe some of these would suit?
    Vehicle Wiring Products
    Polevolt
    Autoelectric supplies

20. Thanks Derek

Do Not Sell My Personal Information