1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Wobbles At High Speed And Pulls/veers Left.. Anyone?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Matt23, Feb 14, 2016.

1. It doesn't pull to the right in Europe though... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Huh, thought it was my dickie hips. Bike is perfectly fine, but if I take both hands off the bars, it does indeed go left slightly. I have to really lean to the right to get it to go straight.

I'm not going to bother contacting my dealer, it's only done 2.4k miles and honestly, unless I'm off the bars, I don't have any wobbles or other issues. I don't really see the need to let go... It's got cruise control so if my wrists start to ache, I can take one hand off at a time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I find the best solution is not to take your hands off the bars...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeah but when you're texting that can be impractical...

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Def is only the Multi, my Monster stays straight and true as all my other bikes have done? Weird huh?

6. My 2016 DVT veers off to the left if I let go of the bars. I have to lean to the right if I want to take both hands off to adjust my gloves whilst on the move. One fork is *very* *very* slightly set higher than the other in the yokes (<1mm) so I put it down to that, though it seems reading this thread it could well be a trait of some machines?

7. A slight deviation, does only one fork have a spring? Preload adjustment on my 1200S is only on the right hand fork, could this lead to the bike tracking left?

• Like Like x 3
  8. Check that the main 2 bolts that hold the riser to the bars are tight..

Remove the 4 bolts that hold your bars in the riser clamps, support the bars and check the bolts and if the rubber has not split, check torque setting on your model,dont over tighten them.

9. I had a problem with weave at high speed after having had a new set of tyres fitted. I didn't notice any issue with the bike "pulling" either left or right. I'd never had a problem with weaving before (~17,000 miles). The problem went away after retorquing the front wheel spindle, see my previous post, and see the post by @Simon Audi on the correct procedure.

10. Seem to remember reading somewhere that all Multis will pull slightly left, it's due to the per-load setting in the forks, never bothered me in the slightest, apply more right foot push. What did give me the shits was the beginning of what used to be described as a tank slapper, most disconcerting! Thankfully a very easy fix, all I did was drop the fork yokes down the forks by about 8mm.

11. 8mm? Sounds a lot, if it works it works though. Must have quickened up the steering.

I dropped my yoke down to the third line on the forks, no problems at all. Don’t think it was 8mm though.

12. Maybe it is related to the fact that spring pre-tension is only set on the right fork leg…
    If the pre tension is more then on the left fork the fork could stand slightly taller on the right, slightly leaning the bike to the left causing the bike to have a tendency to veer left.

BTW, my bike also tends to the left when I let go of the handlebars.

13. No this does not happen

14. What doesn’t?

15. My 1260s heads gently left with both hands off the bars unless I counteract that tendancy with body position. It also got a significant weave on during recent trip to Scotland in June, quite disconcerting. I was fully loaded; panniers and top case and was exceeding the recommended top speed in, IIRC, the manual for such a setup by quite an exuberant chunk. Thankfully slowly backing off bought things back under control.

Neither of these greatly concerns me. The first is something of a non issue and it seems that this is a general thing about the DVT MT'S. The second, whilst potentially not ideal, is only when exceeding significant limits as set out by the manufacturer. Sure, would be nice if the bike was steady as a rock up to absolute top speed with full luggage but most bikes are destabilised by such a scenario. Wasn't some European noble killed whilst riding his Mutley at high speed?

Would be interesting to hear from some Pikes Peak owners if they experience either of these issues with their fancy Ohlins suspended bikes?

#35 Bumpkin, Sep 12, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  16. Could the left pull all be down to the gyroscopic effect of the generator hanging on the left side of the engine?

Just a thought

17. Good suggestion.

If anything, a gyroscopic effect would be that it keeps you moving in the line of travel making it harder to change direction

18. ===

#38 Duncan*, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
Do Not Sell My Personal Information