1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Woeful Mirrors

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by beanerno1, May 24, 2018.

1. They are not risers they are LED indicators

2. After having folding mirrors on my 1199 I was disappointed at my V4 having fixed mirrors, really awkward in garage/van/manoeuvring. So I have modelled an interface part and once by that I’d proven from model then have CNC machined from aircraft grade ali’(reckoned to be strong as steel) then used these very subtle interface parts to neatly fit to my V4 a pair of 1199 folding mirrors. All this using Ducati original rigid mirrors fixing points on chassis and hence without through all this any interference with Factory build construction. My ending up with firmly mounted folding mirrors that from 2 big Ducati Dealers observation, look awesome. I will if anyone is interested load some pic’s to better illustrate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. After having folding mirrors on my 1199 I was disappointed at my V4 having fixed mirrors, really awkward in garage/van/manoeuvring. So I have modelled an interface part and once by that I’d proven from model then have CNC machined from aircraft grade ali’(reckoned to be strong as steel) then used these very subtle interface parts to neatly fit to my V4 a pair of 1199 folding mirrors. All this using Ducati original rigid mirrors fixing points on chassis and hence without through all this any interference with Factory build construction. My ending up with firmly mounted folding mirrors that from 2 big Ducati Dealers observation, look awesome. I will if anyone is interested load some pic’s to better illustrate.

4. yeah, go for it

5. Interested. I have Futurismoto indicator blanks with the mirrors moved to the bar ends, but a folding mirror a la ‘98 R1 (where they fold in then fold back out again without losing adjustment) is the ideal.

6. Here are some pictures (in attached file), colour of 'the part' yet to be decided, raw ali' tends look most appropriate.

Attached Files:

7. Nice work. Would these fit a 1299 do you think? There's quite a demand for this part, what with restricted space in our garages, damage when loading into a van for track days, etc.

8. Might be lucky, but I purpose formed the adapters to use on my V4 the type of folding mirrors I had on my 1199, so the adapter bases are machined in aircraft gade ali' to direct fit the V4 mount points (as Ducati Factory provide for their standard easy-break fixed mirrors and direct to adapter similar facing of ali' adapters to allow direct bolting of standard mounting 1199 folding mirrors. Do you/does anyone know if the 1299 mirror mount point on chassis frontal part is same as V4 ? If so, adapters will then suit more than my V4. Sorry that without knowing this I cannot be more conclusive.

9. Do you intend to make anymore of these adapters? I would definately be interested in a pair if you are?

10. Sorry for my delay in response, I hadn't seen your post until today.

Firstly, I'm afraid this essentially needs be a detailed answer, its positively not sensible left as a simple yes/no.

Thank you for your interest, as I can arrange production of more pairs, but for all the below given reasons this is possibly putting cost at a level not necessarily apparent hence appreciated.

Aside a great deal of my personal time spent in designing then hand forming and refining the model I made of parts now professionally machined for me against CAD file generated by 3D scanning my proving model part, I spent several thousand pounds in necessarily paying for two-passes of 3D scanning of my evolving model part, then in having the prototypes professionally machined by multi-axis milling of expensive aircraft grade ali'.

I took great care in that process being to well-engineered standard using high strength ali' and you will see it all cost me extensive amount, but I now have incredibly useful folding mirrors on my V4, through what to me and a number of impressed Dealer staff observations, is a really smart adaptation.

Aside all the good outcomes, I could only sell further pairs of adapters where buyer is like me accepting the adaptation is at own chosen risk, I can not look to sell further productions on any other basis as it would be financially insane. However, it is worthy to note my fitted mirrors are Ducati Factory supplied 1199 parts, designed by Ducati fit for purpose, although cost circa £360/pair (altho' various after-market suppliers offer lookalikes at a fraction of Ducati OEM parts cost.

Also noteworthy, is my purpose formed adapters are in aircraft grade ali' of material strength far greater than the material in arms and mountings of standard Ducati mirrors, and I have adopted s/s HT bolts in mounting the Ducati mirrors to the adapters and the adapters to the standard mount points on the V4 front chassis member, not making use of the lower strength mild steel bolts used by Ducati in mounting standard rigid mirrors at manufacture of V4.

If I were to look to recover my costs of that evolving process over the sale of an odd few sold pairs, you can see it is unrealistic to venture that way, but for me to look to say get back £50 nominally a pair toward my already spent development costs, then the cost to produce one at a time further pairs of adapters with s/s cap head bolts will need be £325/pair including p&p (this is not through my scale of production a vat'able item), all with buyer separately purchasing the folding mirrors: either as Ducati OEM parts, or cheaper after-market, but as Panigale 1199 (2011 model year) standard folding mirrors.

Hope you understand my spelling things out this way.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information